Which would you choose?

The first is a 10 day cruise from REYKJAVÍK TO PORTSMOUTH. Ports include the above plus Djupivogur, Iceland, Klaksvík, Faroe Islands, Stornoway, Scotland, Belfast, United Kingdom, Dublin, Ireland, Waterford, Ireland, and Fowey, Cornwall, United Kingdom. May 31 - June 10.

The second is 12 days from Honfleur to London. Ports include Guernsey/St. Peter Port, Channel Islands, Waterford, Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, Liverpool, England, Belfast, United Kingdom, Oban, Scotland, Invergordon, Scotland, and London/Tilbury, England with 2 sea days. August 13-25.

I'd choose the second one for its itinerary & more likely its better weather and seas.

But we could do with more info ............

Same ship? Same cruise line?

(Cruise & Maritime, perhaps?)

Daily cruise prices comparable?

Any plans to spend pre or post-cruise time in London, or the Hampshire countryside, or France? Or, I guess Iceland?

And where are you starting & finishing?

If you're based in Europe / UK, Honfleur would be the easier start point by far.

But if it's north America, especially if handy to an airport served by Icelandair, Iceland would probably be easier & cheaper.

All these factors would have a bearing on your choice.

JB :)

Thanks JB. I live in the US (Texas). It is the same cruise line - Crystal. For the 10 day cruise, I was going to spend a couple of days post cruise in London before heading home. The cruise that starts in Honfleur is 2 days longer and has an overnight in Honfleur and an overnight in London. I've been on cruises to the Mediterranean and the Baltics, as well as Alaska, and Canada/NE US. The cost for the 12 day cruise is about $1,000 more. I am intrigued by Iceland although I know very little about it, nor the British Isles for that matter. The 12 day cruise has 2 sea days, which we enjoy, while the 10 day cruise is in port somewhere every day.

Hi Pappy,

Haven't been to Iceland & had considered flying from the UK to Denver last summer via Rekjavik with a no-extra-charge stop-over there for a couple of days. In the end we decided on a direct flight for a variety of reasons - most of them irrelevant to you, but our research showed Iceland to be pretty bleak (no trees), soul-less, and surprisingly expensive with bare & featureless settlements of industrial-looking buildings, most with ugly corrugated panel roofs. It'd be pretty pointless to fly to Rejavik & sail the same day, and I suggest that for instance you check out the standards & prices of accommodation in Rekjavik and the cost of car rentals+extras.

Sea days aren't my scene - I cruise for the destinations - and although I can hack a couple of lazy sea-days in the Caribbean or South Pacific, there's no way you'd get me onto a small cruise ship sailing the northernmost part of the Atlantic ;)

That cruise doesn't visit the Scottish mainland - Stornoway is in the Shetlands, which are a little more civilised than the Faroes, which in turn are a little more civilised than Iceland. But all three are rather similar, perhaps an overload of bleak moorland?

Fowey is very pleasant, but laid-back and in the fairly remote south-west corner of England. It's comparable with the other cruise's Guernsey, though Guernsey, like the other Channel Islands, has an Anglo-French feel to it.

If you've not visited northern France, that other cruise gives you the opportunity for pre-cruise time in Paris or the D-Day beaches. Or both, since it's your money & not mine :D

And it visits Liverpool - more typical of modern England than Fowey. But if cities aren't your scene, a Liverpool port-of-call is good for visiting the hills, castles & slate mines of the north Wales coast - places like Conwy and Llanberis.

I rate Tilbury pretty grim & industrial, and not a good base for visiting London. So I'd suggest for that in-between day you get away for the day, perhaps to Canterbury or the Kent countryside, then base yourselves in central London for a night or three, and head to Heathrow from there.

Tilbury is east of London, and the main international airport of Heathrow is west of London, so although they're expensive a central London hotel makes a lot of sense. Perhaps economise on the hotel's star-rating rather than location.

Or for the Iceland cruise, Portsmouth is worth a day or two post-cruise, ditto the surrounding countryside, and Portsmouth has a good direct rail service to central London - altho' Tilbury is much closer to London there's under an hour difference in the journey time.

But here I am, spending your money again :rolleyes:

Your cruise, your money.

But if it were mine it'd be the one from Honfleur ;)

Iceland is amazing! The scenery and landscape are stunning with a number of different things to do depending on the time of year and fitness level. Bus tours to the waterfalls, hiking glaciers, blue lagoon, kayaking, whale watching...it's all breathtaking. You won't regret Iceland at all. Head to the library and pick up a Lonely Planet book to get a sense of what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a similiar cruise last year to the Iceland cruise and loved it. Found it very different and interesting.

The scenery the Faroe Islands is beautiful and I just love Ireland, so I would choose that one. At that time of year you will also have long days. I would also say that the port's are slightly less touristy than the other itinerary.

With the Honfleur cruise, where do you overnight in London? If it is Tilbury - that is not worth an overnight as there is nothing there and is very industrial! Plus tricky to get in and out of London despite the rail connection to Fenchurch Street - it's a faff getting from the port in Tilbury to Tilbury Town Station.

I would be tempted by the Iceland one and have some add ons in London at a nice hotel.

My apologies before anyone else corrects me - Stornoway is in the Outer Hebrides, not the Shetlands. I was thinking of Lerwick. :o

As I've admitted, I've not been to Iceland - the Morgans and the Londoner were clearly much more impressed with the place than my research suggests.

But I still think those first few places are pretty same-same.

Yes, less-touristy. For good reason, perhaps :p

The other itinerary provides more variety, and more of an insight into the British Isles & its history.

More pubs, too. :D

The Irish ports appear to be identical for both cruises - and a good mix.

Mh2013 and I (and probably everyone else including the folk who live there) are agreed that Tilbury is far from ideal, especially with an overnite there.

But it's still the cruise that I'd choose.

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes.

... but our research showed Iceland to be pretty bleak (no trees), soul-less, and surprisingly expensive with bare & featureless settlements of industrial-looking buildings, most with ugly corrugated panel roofs.

No trees does not equal bleak; and there aren't that many buildings in Iceland anyway. I could have done the same research about my recent trip to Arizona, and discovered no trees and the buildings not very pretty. But the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc. more than made up for that.

Iceland is a very attractive stop IMO. And I have been there! ;)

My choice would be the first cruise, i.e. Iceland & Faroe Islands etc plus it finishes up in a nice part of the world, Cornwall.

Iceland really is stunning although outrageously expensive and it's cold & windy, even in the summer.

Many of the ports on the second option would be very much of a muchness and like John Bull, I don't do sea days so it's option one all the way for me.

Iceland has become a very fashionable destination for young Europeans in spite of it being expensive, so there must be some attraction.

I really don't think Ireland, Iceland, Scottish Isles, Faroe Islands and U.K. Are same.

On our cruise we stopped in Kirkwell, Orkneys. My OH was very interested in that port because of WWII history. However, it was by far the worst weather we had.

I didn't find Iceland at all bleak, it was different to other places I had previously visited, but that was what made it interesting.

If it was me booking the cruise I would research all the different ports of call and decide what would interest me most.

I agree that Tilbury is not very attractive, but neither is it too far from central London.

[quote

I agree that Tilbury is not very attractive, but neither is it too far from central London.

I agree LondonTowner that Tilbury isn't too far from central London and in the days when you could get a direct train right to the port - literally next to the ship - from Fenchurch Street it was easy peasy when cruising from there. Now however the trains end at Tilbury Town and it can be tricky if you have a lot of luggage to get to the port. We can never seem to find a taxi and the little shuttle buses from the station (and return) don't seem very frequent. It can be frustrating compared to Southampton & Dover.

We haven't done those exact cruises, but did two cruises that are somewhat similar.

Check out my reviews for both.

British Isles

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

North Sea/Atl and Transatlantic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264272

No trees does not equal bleak; and there aren't that many buildings in Iceland anyway. I could have done the same research about my recent trip to Arizona, and discovered no trees and the buildings not very pretty. But the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc. more than made up for that.

Iceland is a very attractive stop IMO. And I have been there! ;)

Yes, research of Iceland reminded me of the scenery in parts of Arizona. And Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, & even the western half of the OP's Texas.

But as you say, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Sedona and a dozen other parts make up for those less interesting corners of Arizona.

And Arizona has some history.

Much warmer and more reliable weather, too ;)

We just couldn't find good scenery or much of interest tolerably convenient to Rekjavik to be worthy of the stop-over time and expense.

My two penn'orth.

The first itinerary is unusual and takes in some places you would not get to with another cruise line.

The second itinerary is a fairly bog-standard round Britain trip which you could do on many different lines at many different times.

I would suggest (as intimated above) that the end port (Portsmouth or London/Tilbury) is somewhat of a red herring.

Yes, research of Iceland reminded me of the scenery in parts of Arizona. And Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, & even the western half of the OP's Texas.

But as you say, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Sedona and a dozen other parts make up for those less interesting corners of Arizona.

And Arizona has some history.

Much warmer and more reliable weather, too ;)

We just couldn't find good scenery or much of interest tolerably convenient to Rekjavik to be worthy of the stop-over time and expense.

John,

Parts of Alaska reminded me more of Iceland.

Iceland is fantastic. We did the Golden Circle Tour.

Waterfalls, geysirs, volcanic landscapes, the blue lagoon, the world's oldest national parliament, and the chance to stand with one foot in America and the other in Europe. Nothing for you there? Each to his own.

I really don't think Ireland, Iceland, Scottish Isles, Faroe Islands and U.K. Are same.

I didn't find Iceland at all bleak, it was different to other places I had previously visited, but that was what made it interesting.

My two penn'orth.

The first itinerary is unusual and takes in some places you would not get to with another cruise line.

The second itinerary is a fairly bog-standard round Britain trip which you could do on many different lines at many different times.

JB, I also beg to differ. I found Iceland so complete;ly different from anyplace I'd been to before. Yes, there aren't any trees or magnificent buildings, museums, etc like in most other places, but that was what made it so unique. And the lunar landscape, geysers, waterfalls, black sand beaches, etc are simply stunning.

We did a sailing going to Iceland and the Norwegian fjords, with Faroes Islands en route, which, BTW, I found it exciting! The whole itinerary was about the great outdoors, even in western Norway there isn't much in the way of art or culture, but this was one of our favourite cruises. As you say, different strokes for different folks:)

Edited by prish

OK, OK, I know when I'm out-numbered. :D

But other than the Blue Lagoon nothing about Rekjavik appealed to us - certainly not enough to warrant the complication, time & expense of a stop-over.

Steve makes a worthwhile point - those North Atlantic ports rarely appear on cruise itineraries. Ditto Fowey.

With the exception of Oban, those on the first itinerary are on a well-worn path. (Not Honfleur, but it's only half an hour from Le Havre).

So the second itinerary would certainly have some appeal to folk who've already visited the more frequent cruise ports.

For example, we've already done the Caribbean & Med to death so would now only cruise to either if it included more-unusual ports.

But cold & windswept Iceland & the Faroes? Nah, not for us. ;)

The first is a 10 day cruise from REYKJAVÍK TO PORTSMOUTH. Ports include the above plus Djupivogur, Iceland, Klaksvík, Faroe Islands, Stornoway, Scotland, Belfast, United Kingdom, Dublin, Ireland, Waterford, Ireland, and Fowey, Cornwall, United Kingdom. May 31 - June 10.

The second is 12 days from Honfleur to London. Ports include Guernsey/St. Peter Port, Channel Islands, Waterford, Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, Liverpool, England, Belfast, United Kingdom, Oban, Scotland, Invergordon, Scotland, and London/Tilbury, England with 2 sea days. August 13-25.

Gosh, what a choice, Both sound very good ,i suppose in the end it would come down to personal preference. We'd always wanted to have a taste of Iceland and were finally able to do a cruise last year that called in at 3 different ports in Iceland and it was stunning. I think i'd go for your first itinerary as you would get a mix of both natural and local history.

hope this helps. Happy cruising. :)