The word "Loyalty" leaves a bitter taste...

Dajo5601

Last Wednesday whilst on the QE we received our luggage tags for disembarkation at Southampton on Friday. I saw that as Platinum passengers we were to assemble in the Queens Room along with most other passengers. As one of the benefits of achieving Platinum status is a "Private disembarkation lounge", I visited the pursers desk to query the disembarkation arrangements only to be told - "There are too many Platinum passengers to provide a separate disembarkation lounge".

In short, you are attracted by the benefits associated with Platinum status, you then cruise with Cunard to achieve that status and when you have achieved it, one of the benefits which first attracted you to the scheme are withdrawn without notice.

It appears to me that the word "Loyalty", certainly in this instance applies to the passengers only - not to Cunard - a shabby way to treat loyal repeat customers in my opinion.

For the record, as a "Loyal" Cunard Platinum passenger, I have already booked another 17 night cruise on the QE for next September. Perhaps Cunard could take note and consider that "Loyalty" should work both ways.

Hi Dajo5601,

Has this happened to you previously, or was this the first occasion? The tone of your post makes me think that this has happened to you several times?

If it is the first time, then it maybe a "blip" and may never happen again.

However, may I be allowed to make a personal observation? If, on my next trip, I find myself seated amongst the very same passengers I'd been sharing the ship with for many days or weeks, it wouldn't worry me at all.

(As Mrs Ruth DeWitt-Bukater discovered, in the event of an emergency, the lifeboats also aren't segregated ;) :D ).

If a separate departure lounge was withdrawn on a permanant basis, then I would miss it (and the facilities provided), and would be something for me to compalin about.

Because of the number of loyal/repeat passengers, I have noted the Senior Officers Cocktail Parties getting busier over the years; my first was held in G32 as that venue could cope with the numbers. Now even QM2's Queens Room can look crowded on some crossings!

I have supermarket "loyalty" cards, but use whichever shop suits me, with no "loyalty" at all.

However, I am a loyal repeat Cunard passenger who has not sailed with other cruise lines.

Some people sail with several lines with little loyalty (like me and my so-called "loyalty" cards ;) ).

I'm sure everything will be back to normal for your QE cruise :) , Bon Voyage.

We were platinum (for the first time) on our QE cruise in August. We didn't get a separate disembarkation lounge so had to go Royal Court Theatre (we always seem to end up in there!) I assumed the reason was too many platinum guests, but I didn't bother asking to find out.

It's happened to us once, I wasn't too bothered, although the coffee and pastries are quite nice you don't really need any more food at that point.

It's one of the least interesting of the loyalty perks for us.

I hope it didn't spoil your cruise. How was the rest of it ?

Edited by Host Hattie

Last Wednesday whilst on the QE we received our luggage tags for disembarkation at Southampton on Friday. I saw that as Platinum passengers we were to assemble in the Queens Room along with most other passengers. As one of the benefits of achieving Platinum status is a "Private disembarkation lounge", I visited the pursers desk to query the disembarkation arrangements only to be told - "There are too many Platinum passengers to provide a separate disembarkation lounge".

In short, you are attracted by the benefits associated with Platinum status, you then cruise with Cunard to achieve that status and when you have achieved it, one of the benefits which first attracted you to the scheme are withdrawn without notice.

It appears to me that the word "Loyalty", certainly in this instance applies to the passengers only - not to Cunard - a shabby way to treat loyal repeat customers in my opinion.

For the record, as a "Loyal" Cunard Platinum passenger, I have already booked another 17 night cruise on the QE for next September. Perhaps Cunard could take note and consider that "Loyalty" should work both ways.

I think the same goes for many "Loyalty" schemes - British Airways Club Lounge at Heathrow 5 was packed the other day and I could barely get a seat but in the same way that Cunard responded - it is very difficult for companies to respond to increasing demand. I think we are fairly lucky that Cunard do not have a time scale for depleting one's loyalty status but as a consequence the number of Gold, Platinum and Diamond members will constantly increase - "till death do us part".

That said, when in Queens Grill you have the Grills Lounge in which to wait - and that is on deck 11 on QE/QV - its a fair walk to the Gangway if the lifts are busy!! Maybe better off in the Queens Room??

Many more people taking repeat cruises and of course the numbers of the higher status grades rise as well. I have been Diamond for many years and have always enjoyed the exclusive lounge on disembarkation. The day could come, possibly has already, when the majority of passengers are Platinum and above. Incidently platinum is more valuable than gold, but I doubt that would have helped at the Pursers desk.

So maybe Cunard should create a higher grade, Caifornium perhaps, given that it is the most valuable metal of all and put the rest among the other steerage passengers.

David.

The problem with loyalty schemes is that companies try to identify their biggest repeat customers and reward them in various ways. In this respect you might well book up for a cruise where; although you have sailed on scores of cruises almost everybody else has sailed on more than you apart from say two couples. In this case although you are qualified for the top tier with its status and rewards everybody else has anyway. In this theoretical example everybody would get the improved personal treatment of the special disembarkation lounge and get crammed into that. The two less travelled couples would need to be accommodated in a different room to keep yours special. In this case their arrangements look superior to yours as a loyal customer. Pragmatically the line would arrange for some sort of intermediate step which is what seems to be what you experienced.

Most cruises probably involve a consistently lower ratio of highly travelled passengers and the standard arrangement work well.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Many more people taking repeat cruises and of course the numbers of the higher status grades rise as well. I have been Diamond for many years and have always enjoyed the exclusive lounge on disembarkation. The day could come, possibly has already, when the majority of passengers are Platinum and above. Incidently platinum is more valuable than gold, but I doubt that would have helped at the Pursers desk.

So maybe Cunard should create a higher grade, Caifornium perhaps, given that it is the most valuable metal of all and put the rest among the other steerage passengers.

David.

That's what the airlines do. I just received an email announcing changes to my loyalty tier with my preferred airline. It doesn't affect me that much, but there will be some changes that upset people, especially those who enjoy lounge access when travelling economy.

I suspect Cunard and other cruise lines will eventually amend their loyalty tiers. That said, given the average age of many Cunard guests, dare I suggest that there will likely be a significant easing of congested Club parties etc in the coming decade or two?!

I think that the Pursers explanation was probably accurate. Many Cunard passengers appear to be repeat passengers and just seeing how many more people are at the cocktail parties over the last few years shows this. We can cruise Cunard relatively cheaply these days and quickly amass the qualifying nights/voyages .

It does seem to have bothered you a lot though.......I hope you can move on from that and look forward to your next trip. When we disembarked from the Queens Room last year I was extremely impressed with the the efficiency of the disembarkation and that is far more important to me than where I wait

My recent Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Victoria was already the third cruise no disembarkation lounge was offered to me - as a diamond member.

I was even told (if correct or not I cannot know) not having one would be the standard procedure now. I personaly didn't mind in these cases due to my arrangements for the day, but I can see that it is a disappointment for someone who wanted to use this promised feature.

What I regard worse, is that this was already my second cruise when they did not offer a senior officers party. Cocktail parties as an occasion for socializing used to be one of the enjoyable aspects Cunard did very well.

Again I was told they would not do the parties anymore on "such short" cruises. Well, I booked a two weeks cruise, others three or more week cruises, the shortest possible time was one week - which is still two days more than the five days they state in the fine print as required cruise duration.

Thus, indeed, the OP is right, "Cunard" does not even deliver what they promise in writing.

Oh, and it gets worse: There was almost no enforcement of the dress code. There were people with t-shirts and jeans on both formal and informal nights, and much more. What did the purser's office say: "We already got a lot of complaints from our repeat guests but we want to please the newcomers." So much about the value of loyality.

I love the Cunard experience, and we greatly enjoy our cruises. The staff works hard, we've made many friends, and the food is great. All that said, it is WRONG, plain and simple, for Cunard to promote and advertise special benefits for repeat passengers and then not follow through on them. There are plenty of other venues that Cunard can use as disembarkation lounges. This would cost Cunard nothing. Someone in the World Club needs to do a little creative thinking.

In a recent post, I discussed how on an Aug, 2016 cruise, the World Club wine tasting was poorly planned, disorganized, and almost insulting in its cheapness. A tiny investment would have made a huge difference.

Another repeat-passenger benefit is the 20% discount offered for laundry services. We have taken advantage of this offer on several past cruises. On our August cruise, this "perk" has been changed: it does not "take effect" until all onboard credit has been used. On the cards that promote the World Club benefits, you'll find the new policy is explained -- just follow the tiny asterisk to the micro-type at the bottom.

I'm not talking a great deal of money. But this penny pinching! It is just SO CHEAP!! Is the goodwill that Cunard loses from its loyal repeat passengers worth the few dollars it saves?

Edited by castlewood

It has happened to us on at least our last two or three trips. However, we reach diamond at last on our next cruise, departing Friday!

Even on our last shorter cruise to Norway when nearly everyone seemed to have red cards, there was still no departure lounge for platinum members.

My wife and I are platinum members and have recently returned from a cruise on QV ( I think it may have been the same one as Carlmm, Athens to Venice). This was our second 7 night cruise on QV this year. There was no senior officers party on either cruise.

On our recent cruise when I enquired about this I was told that they don't do senior officers parties on 7 night cruises. When I pointed out the info on the Cunard Web site said 5 nights, we were told it was because we were in the Mediterranean. When I said the website didn't say this, they said the senior officers needed their rest time. Surely they are aware that there should be holding a party so should have factored this in the rotas. I appreciate that operational issues can arrive, but this should be the exception not the rule.

On our previous cruise (Copenhagen / Hamburg in January) we were told there were too many diamond members on board so we would not be invited. This is now 4 different excuses.

This is only one of the issues we have with Cunard not adhering to what is promised on their website. Passengers should be able to expect that the Cunard website is accurate but in this case obviously not.

Cunard should ensure that their website is accurate and ensure all the ships in the fleet adhere to what we are told is corporate policy.

What a lot of fuss about nothing does it matter where you sit or what tier you are. We have just travelled on QM2 in steerage class and was off the ship by 8.30 am did not worry about coffee and cakes end of voyage so had breakfast collect our walk on bags and left, end of story. Sorry to be hard but if you are so bothered by being in the wrong place with normal passengers just travel in the Grills.

The small print for both the disembarkation lounge and the Senior Officers party says "where operationally possible".

... which might work as a legal caveat but is a bad excuse from a customer relationship point of view if Cunard constantly does not deliver the benefits expected by repeat customers, and worse, as it looks from the various experiences and answers gotten, has no intention to do so.

Edited by carlmm

... which might work as a legal caveat but is a bad excuse from a customer relationship point of view if Cunard constantly does not deliver the benefits expected by repeat customers, and worse, as it looks from the various experiences and answers gotten, has no intention to do so.

Try Oceania. Much smaller ships, great beds and wonderful food. We're diamond but tried Oceania after a Cunard shortcoming and now only book the occasional Cunard cruise based on itinerary.

Another repeat-passenger benefit is the 20% discount offered for laundry services. We have taken advantage of this offer on several past cruises. On our August cruise, this "perk" has been changed: it does not "take effect" until all onboard credit has been used. On the cards that promote the World Club benefits, you'll find the new policy is explained -- just follow the tiny asterisk to the micro-type at the bottom.

This has always been the case. We were on a segment of the QV world cruise a few years ago and that was the rule then.

We also were stiffed on our first platinum voyage, when the Senior Officers' Party was never scheduled. Since we self-disembark, we have never needed a special lounge in which to wait. I have mentioned in other postings that priory embarkation can be no special privilege, when the majority of passengers qualify.

I guess (for us) the biggest perk for "loyalty" is some free internet time and that can be pretty darn slow.

Maybe, the offering something "free" as an incentive for repeat bookings is like a Ponzi scheme. Eventually, the concept implodes on itself. Maybe, that happened with "free air miles" when ever tightening restrictions were applied. Too many people, increasing in numbers over time, cannot be served as promised.

I'm not sure our loyalty is unwavering (itinerary and price are important when we book), but we love Cunard---have never had a bad day, or even bad hour, sailing with this cruise line. Lots to love.

We sail for the ship, the service, the transportation, the experience. Anything above this is purely gravy...