Shopping in Vancouver

I know this is a crazy question...But, are there any areas with locally owned shops? :eek:Don't want touristy, chain, or crapola shops.

I was hoping Gastown, but it looks like it fits the touristy, trinket bill I'm not looking for. Love supporting local shops. Anything from home decor, to clothing. With all the sightseeing I am making my mom do, i'm going to need to throw in some shopping as well. Or, she will be a cranky travelling partner.

Thanks in advance!!

Anything in particular ?

While touristy in some cases most of the shops in Gastown are one offs - ie not part of chains.

If you let us know what in particular you are looking for and how far out of the downtown core you are willing to travel - there are lots of locals on here who can give you advice on where to shop.

One area I know a little about because I lived there for over 30 years is the Mt Pleasant neighbourhood - Main/Kingsway and Broadway - there were many local shops there and more have gone in the last few years.

Another one that comes to kind is 4th Avenue in Kitsilano - about a dozen blocks of shopping from Burrard to McDonald.

South Granville from 6th to 16th has an array of independent shops - albeit a little more on the high end

Even the shops on Granville Island are different - mostly marine based.

Hope this gets you started.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis & Twisterfreak!

We are staying at the Pan Pacific, so going to Granville Island would be an easy jaunt for us. Will probably have to hit up Gastown as well. I'm sure if we don't like the shopping, there will be plenty of bars/pubs for a drink!;)

My mom doesn't love most tourist type things. But she will come along for the ride, since she won't get involved in the cruise planning. But we both love to support local shops. Anything for the home, & clothing. Yes, be both need nothing!

We cruised Europe last year. Had a ball shopping in Barcelona, before getting on the ship. 3 nights was not enough time. We managed to find all sorts of great, local shops. We are those people, that had to go buy another suitcase, for all of our treausures. I promise shopping isn't all we do!

Really looking forward to seeing the sights in Vancouver. Then sneaking in some shopping as well. Is 2 nights enough time to get a good feel for the city? The flight we are looking at gets into Vancouver at 2:30 on Friday. Will probably try and get on the ship around 11 on Sunday. I'm guessing we will definitely need to come back again.

Thanks for the help!

Betsy

Hi Betsy

Vancouver can be done in a couple of days but you won't see it all.

Gas town is filled with amazing pubs and eateries! Transit in Vancouver is amazing so getting to places like Coquitlam or Metrotown is fairly straight forward. New Westminster is great for local shops and Antiques.

Jenn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 2009 there was a shop in the Gastown area that sold First Nations crafts and jewelry, not the cheap tourist tat. If it still exists, you might find that interesting. Sorry, can't remember the name of it or the exact address.

Probably Hills. As well as agreeing with Dennis I'd add Commercial Drive (take Expo line SkyTrain to Commercial/Broadway station) - a very vocal 'buy hyper local' population on The Drive!

Hi Betsy

Vancouver can be done in a couple of days but you won't see it all.

Gas town is filled with amazing pubs and eateries! Transit in Vancouver is amazing so getting to places like Coquitlam or Metrotown is fairly straight forward. New Westminster is great for local shops and Antiques.

Jenn

Thanks, Jenn! Will add these places to the list. Will have to figure out what areas will best fit into our non-existant schedule.

Thanks, Jenn! Will add these places to the list. Will have to figure out what areas will best fit into our non-existant schedule.

No problem! I can typically do from Waterfront station to New Westminster in 45 minutes Max. Usually less. I don't live out west but my family is out there so I'm very familiar with the area