St Augustine

HappilyEverAft-ers

We are sailing on Freedom out of Canaveral and arriving back on 11/4/16 and planning to take a side trip to St Augustine and then on up to Jacksonville to fly home the next day. Been watching Matthew very carefully and being from KS I know the devastation wind can cause. Been there, done that, and don't wanna do it again. I hope, with all my heart and soul, that everything and everyone made it through without too much hurt.

My question to anyone from that area is......should we just cancel the trip to St Augustine due to some wind damage and I'm sure storm surge, or does anyone think it might be OK to try to tour the city??

We have a room already booked so not worried about that, but more interested in showing her the city since I've been there a couple of times. However, I've never flown out of Jacksonville and kinda looking forward to that.

Please let us know what y'all think. Thanks

Mike&Nancy:confused:

We are sailing on Freedom out of Canaveral and arriving back on 11/4/16 and planning to take a side trip to St Augustine and then on up to Jacksonville to fly home the next day. Been watching Matthew very carefully and being from KS I know the devastation wind can cause. Been there, done that, and don't wanna do it again. I hope, with all my heart and soul, that everything and everyone made it through without too much hurt.

My question to anyone from that area is......should we just cancel the trip to St Augustine due to some wind damage and I'm sure storm surge, or does anyone think it might be OK to try to tour the city??

We have a room already booked so not worried about that, but more interested in showing her the city since I've been there a couple of times. However, I've never flown out of Jacksonville and kinda looking forward to that.

Please let us know what y'all think. Thanks

Mike&Nancy:confused:

Why don't you wait and see? St. Augustine has been there 300 years and has survived many storms and hurricanes. I think it will be okay.

Being from the KC area, we definitely love bbq. :) Do you have a damage report on the St Augustine area?? And the Jacksonville area, more around the airport area as we're flying out of there. Thanks.

Mike

Turn on your tv. If St. Augustine isn't featured then there probably is minimal to no damage.

Being from the KC area, we definitely love bbq. :) Do you have a damage report on the St Augustine area?? And the Jacksonville area, more around the airport area as we're flying out of there. Thanks.

Mike

This place is as good or better than all the joints in the Kansas City, MO and Johnson County, KS area. I know because I've been to all of them.

This place not only has great barbeque, but it's unique and out in the middle of nowhere at the junction of Federal Highway and State Road 206. They don't have any inside seating, but you can sit on wood blocks around a tree stump table outside under a shade tree.

There is flooding in St. Augustine and damage from the storm surge but not in all areas. I have friends who live there and have seen some of their pictures. Damage on A1A with roads washed away.

But, they will clean up and I would still go.

As far as Jacksonville, the area around the airport is fine. My daughter is driving back to her home in downtown Jacksonville since she had evacuated. Sounds like most damage was due to flooding and storm surge there.

There is flooding in St. Augustine and damage from the storm surge but not in all areas. I have friends who live there and have seen some of their pictures. Damage on A1A with roads washed away.

But, they will clean up and I would still go.

As far as Jacksonville, the area around the airport is fine. My daughter is driving back to her home in downtown Jacksonville since she had evacuated. Sounds like most damage was due to flooding and storm surge there.

Thanks so much cjskids. I was really leaning to cancelling and booking out of Tampa to come home. But I love St Augustine and since she hasn't been there I know she'll love it too. It's such a nice drive up there. Most of the times I've been there, we've left from Palatka and taken the back roads. That is some scenic territory back there.

Again, thanks so much.:D

Mike

Check with the hotel in a few weeks, or even call a few restaurants to ask how the area is. My friend and her daughter live there. The daughter's apt is uninhabitable, and they are all staying in a hotel until the power is restored. The daughter's family will have to move in with the mother for now.

In a month St Augustine will be back to its old self. Make sure to stop by and enjoy it. It's beautiful.

And if you really want good Florida barbecue check out Mojo Old City, it's a local chain that does a unique menu at each location. But they're all delicious.

Edited by KnightsFan