Alaska for Tweens

FishersFrogs

We're first time cruisers heading to Alaska next summer. We are a family of 5 (kids ages 10, 10, 12). We've prioritized Glacier Bay and likely round trip out of Seattle (for cost savings) which narrowed it down to ruby princess, Norwegian pearl, and a possible alternative carnival legend. We were leaning princess, but I've been reading lots of concerns with lack of on board activities during days at sea.

About the family - we don't drink so don't need a huge party ship, but are very active. We're game for any activities dance class, cheesy games, sciencey stuff, cooking, trivia, anything. Shows are great too - girls like Broadway or magic, etc. we are not likely to park them in a kids club much or at all, but want to do things together.

The princess partnership with discovery was a big draw but when I pulled up the daily schedules it seemed the advertise that more than they actually offered. We're super excited about Alaska itself - the sights and excursions. But want are having a hard time finalizing the ship.

We're first time cruisers heading to Alaska next summer. We are a family of 5 (kids ages 10, 10, 12). We've prioritized Glacier Bay and likely round trip out of Seattle (for cost savings) which narrowed it down to ruby princess, Norwegian pearl, and a possible alternative carnival legend. We were leaning princess, but I've been reading lots of concerns with lack of on board activities during days at sea.

About the family - we don't drink so don't need a huge party ship, but are very active. We're game for any activities dance class, cheesy games, sciencey stuff, cooking, trivia, anything. Shows are great too - girls like Broadway or magic, etc. we are not likely to park them in a kids club much or at all, but want to do things together.

The princess partnership with discovery was a big draw but when I pulled up the daily schedules it seemed the advertise that more than they actually offered. We're super excited about Alaska itself - the sights and excursions. But want are having a hard time finalizing the ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. This is the right place for lots of answers.

You have not mentioned Holland America Line (HAL) that also sails out of Seattle and has a great "tweens" program.

Here is a list of the "tweens" activities that are typical on HAL:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-8-12.pdf

Here are examples of the daily activities on board HAL to Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Thanks Crew News - we eliminated HAL because of advice it doesn't cater to kids/families. I did know they had a kids club but really don't plan on leaving the girls. Hoping to find a ship with family activities.

It's looking like we'll have about three "full" days at sea plus times between ports.

First off, any ship sailing to Alaska is NOT a party ship. The party ships are pretty much all in the Caribbean or Bahamas or sailing to Mexico on 3 - 4 day cruises. Most people who go to Alaska are going to see the wonder that is Alaska.

The fact that you are a family of 5 may limit your options as to cabins. Either you will need 2 connecting cabins or a suite that is large enough to sleep 5. Be aware that, for example, 2 connecting balconies have 2 bathrooms and can be larger square footage-wise than some family suites which sleep 5 only have 1 bathroom. Of the ships you have mentioned only NCL Pearl has a much larger Family suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and enough space to sleep 6 people. This suite has a large master bedroom and huge master bathroom with double sinks, shower and separate tub and toilet in a separate room, a living room, balcony, dining room and then another bedroom with bunks and another bathroom with shower.

The ships that go to Alaska are more about going to Alaska than activities and shows.

The NCL Pearl would be good from the standpoint that it's not a huge ship and it has a lot of different restaurants and the traditional cruise shows. There are many specialty restaurants (which cost extra) but I would think your kids would especially enjoy Teppanyaki (like Benihana but quite small on this ship so definitely make reservations online in advance.) For a special dinner with just your wife you might go to Cagney's or Le Bistro (reservations required.) What is different about NCL is that it does not offer traditional cruise dining where you are seated with people you don't know and you get to know them over the course of the cruise. Instead you are seated with your own party only in all restaurants and also, there are NO formal nights whatsoever, which saves a lot of space in packing. The dressiest a man needs to get is a pair of trousers and a dress shirt, no tie for the steakhouse and Le Bistro. Otherwise, you can wear whatever you want. I would describe the experience on NCL as being more like staying at a land based resort where you go to different restaurants, both included and specialty restaurants. The Pearl has a nice spa and thermal suite for you and your wife, if you like that. For the kids, the kids clubs are popular - it is important to go the first day as that is when friendships form. NCL has suites that have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and can sleep up to 6 which may be of benefit to your family. The suite experience on NCL is among the best at sea. I highly recommend it if you can afford it and interestingly enough, for a large party, such as yours, sometimes the suites can be less expensive or just a tad more than 2 cabins and you get the living room and dining room area to share with your kids, which is nice. Another difference is the NCL charges $7.95 per order for room service unless you are in a suite, in which case it is included. I don't know if you and your wife are specialty coffee fans or not, but the suites on NCL include the use of a Lavazza coffee maker and all that is needed to make cappuccino, latte's, espresso, etc. This has saved us lots of money as my husband drinks 3 - 4 coffees a day and other ships have outlets where you have to pay for this. If you cannot do a suite, then the next best option would be 2 cabins - you will have to figure out if you want inside or oceanview or balcony. In an inside, at least one child will sleep on a pullman bunk and the other 2 on twin beds.

Ruby Princess would also be good - believe me when I say this, being onboard a ship the first time, your kids are going to be overwhelmed with everything onboard. The activities will be secondary. However, there are activities all the time onboard when the ship is at sea. Princess as a cruise line is very British and they typically have formal afternoon tea on a sea day which your daughters would probably love. They have kids clubs with a whole schedule of activities and at night the traditional cruise shows. Princess does both traditional and non-traditional cruise dining - you choose which you prefer before you cruise but they don't have a lot of specialty restaurants - typically 1 or 2 on each ship, so most meals are taken in the MDR or in the buffet. Princess has very traditional cruise production shows and they show movies onboard as well. You will meet mostly Brits, Australians, Americans and Canadians aboard a Princess ship. There are formal nights and dressy casual nights (resort wear) on these ships. Princess has cabins that sleep up to 4 people.

Carnival Legend will be loaded with Americans. Carnival operates their buffet as different fast food restaurants: Pizza Pirate, Mongolian Wok, Deli, Indian food, American Comfort Food, and then outdoors there are always hamburgers and hot dogs and French Fries. The kids clubs offer a lot of activities onboard. For adults, the shows are mostly comedy shows - early show is kid friendly, late show is blue. There is usually some music in the atrium from time to time, and a production show or two in the theater, but not a lot of live entertainment compared to Princess. IMO, the Carnival food is not as good as NCL or Princess. We tend to mostly eat dinner at the Carnival steakhouse as a result even though it costs extra. We eat breakfast in the dining room on Carnival and lunch is always in the buffet. Carnival also charges per item for some items for room service with the exception of continental breakfast and a few standard sandwiches, I believe. Carnival cabins sleep up to 4 people.

Between ports - for example Glacier Bay day, you are out on deck the whole time seeing glaciers calve, seeing sea lions and just some incredible views. If you go on the NCL Pearl and can be in The Haven, then you get to go up to The Haven Sundeck on that day where they serve hot chocolate and it's just a really nice experience for the whole family. Also the suites on NCL have DVD players, so you can bring along additional entertainment. NCL has a White Hot dance party night (sometimes called a Glow party - depending on the ship). This is suitable for all ages. Your daughters would probably also like Legends in Concert.

Of the three ships, I really think all of these are quite good. To me it is more about what you are looking for in a dining experience and if you can afford a suite or not. If you can do a suite, go on NCL hands down - don't even think about the other two lines. If you are looking to eat in different restaurants each night and don't mind paying a little extra, then I would recommend NCL. If you are looking for a very traditional cruise experience, then I would recommend Princess. If you are looking for a very casual overall experience, then it is between NCL and Carnival. (Although Carnival does have 2 dressy nights per cruise, they are otherwise very casual.)

As to what happens, the first day of the cruise, after lunch, you and your kids should spend time walking around the ship getting familiar with the layout. This is usually a good time to take photos of the ship. Take the stairs and avoid the elevators as much as possible as people will boarding and there will be a long wait for an elevator. Find the dining room, the theater, the kids clubs and any other venues of interest. By the time you are done with that it will be time for the safety drill. Then after the safety drill the ship will depart and there will be a sail away dance party on the top deck. First time cruisers usually enjoy the sail away experience of seeing the port get smaller in the distance and then disappearing. There is usually lots to take photos of. Often you can see other ships at sea. On the way up to Alaska it is not unusual to spot whales. Do bring binoculars and cameras! There is much to see! Dinner will follow shortly after the departure and the first show, which is usually a sampling of what you will see that week onboard and then bed. So, there's really only 1 day at sea and I'm sure there will be plenty to do with the kid's club no matter what line you are on.

Finally, do go prepared to seasickness. You will be out in the open ocean at the beginning and end of your cruise. Usually, we take Bonine (Meclazine) which you can buy over the counter. In addition, due to the possible high seas, we get prescriptions for Trans Derm Scops from our doctors. We had some really high seas on both of our cruises to Alaska going up and we needed the Scops. Everyone else onboard was dreadfully sick - in fact we were the ONLY table in the dining room on the second night. Even crew were struggling. If you have these with you and there are no high seas, then no problem, but if you need them you will be so glad you have them.

Thanks for the great info!

As I'm looking more into the two ships - I noticed that NCL Pearl doesn't have many excursions currently listed (I couldn't find any for Juneau for example). I'm guessing that is timing or weird glitch and that they offer more or less the same as Ruby Princess? Is that true?

We did the Pearl to Glacier Bay in 2012, with a 9 and (almost) 12 year old. Nephews were 7 and 9.

They all enjoyed the kids' programs. There was a lot to do on board.

We did a "Whales and Rainforest Tales" excursion in Juneau. Whale watching, then a hike to the glacier. Excellent excursion, in spite of the fact that it rained all day! I would think a lack of excursions is just timing. I think there was lots when we did ours. Juneau was a bit limited because we weren't in port a full day, it was a bit shorter than some Alaska itineraries.

When the ship was in Glacier Bay, they brought on park rangers to do programs with the kids about the park. Very well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gi_pam

One small factor in favor of HAL with tweens - the movable cover for the main pool to make it "indoor" when weather is cold or rainy (very likely in Alaska).

Do try to have at least a day or two in Seattle pre-cruise. There's a ton of things to interest kids right in Seattle or with more time in the surrounding area with a car.

In town:

Pike Place Market

Seattle Center (with Space Needle)

Waterfront (Aquarium, Seattle Wheel, Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe)

Ferry ride to Bremerton and back (cruise before the cruise) - sometimes can see resident Orca pods

Seattle Underground tour

Klondike National Historical Park & walking tour downtown

Ballard Locks/Fish Ladder - often see seals below the dam snatching salmon (when running)

Surrounding area:

Snoqualmie Falls (& maybe drive over Snoqualmie Pass if from an area with no mountains)

NW Trek Wildlife Park

Mt. Rainier (can combine with NW Trek)

Pt. Defiance Zoo/Aquarium in Tacoma

Maybe Boeing factory tour in Everett/Mukilteo area

This is great! We are spending a few days in Seattle, so thank you for those tips. And the excursions too - will check that link. We skipped HAL based on the age recommendation, but can reconsider. RC doesn't go to glacier bay (I don't think). Thank you all!!!

Carnival Legend will be loaded with Americans. Carnival operates their buffet as different fast food restaurants: Pizza Pirate, Mongolian Wok, Deli, Indian food, American Comfort Food, and then outdoors there are always hamburgers and hot dogs and French Fries. The kids clubs offer a lot of activities onboard. For adults, the shows are mostly comedy shows - early show is kid friendly, late show is blue. There is usually some music in the atrium from time to time, and a production show or two in the theater, but not a lot of live entertainment compared to Princess. IMO, the Carnival food is not as good as NCL or Princess. We tend to mostly eat dinner at the Carnival steakhouse as a result even though it costs extra. We eat breakfast in the dining room on Carnival and lunch is always in the buffet. Carnival also charges per item for some items for room service with the exception of continental breakfast and a few standard sandwiches, I believe. Carnival cabins sleep up to 4 people.

we haven't been on a Carnival ship since 2002, but at least then there were MDRs. If there are still, this info is a bit misleading and makes newbies think there's only eating in the buffet and at the steakhouse.

Thanks everyone - we selected the NCL Pearl. If we dock at 8a. What time do you think is safe to get a flight out of Seattle home?

Also, will look through all the threads - but any suggestions on what to do in Seattle for a couple of days or excursions are welcome. My husband and I have been - but not with the girls.

We did the Boeing factory (but we had rented a car), science museum, Space Needle and baseball game.

We flew out a few days after the cruise (visited family in Vancouver) so I can't give advice on the flight time, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk