Taking irons on board: a cautionary tale

tiggis

Embarked on QV yesterday and hadn't received my luggage after several hours. On enquiring I was told that there was an illegal item in my case and I needed to visit security. Well, it was a small travel iron (detected in the scanner) and it was confiscated until disembarkation. Now, I know the rules and can't complain. But this has never happened before, on Cunard or any other line. I only use the iron for small jobs when it would be a chore to visit the launderette (where the irons are often in use anyway). I thought this might be of interest to others who take an iron with them.

Embarked on QV yesterday and hadn't received my luggage after several hours. On enquiring I was told that there was an illegal item in my case and I needed to visit security. Well, it was a small travel iron (detected in the scanner) and it was confiscated until disembarkation. Now, I know the rules and can't complain. But this has never happened before, on Cunard or any other line. I only use the iron for small jobs when it would be a chore to visit the launderette (where the irons are often in use anyway). I thought this might be of interest to others who take an iron with them.
Thank you for this tiggis, very helpful :)

I can understand your disappointment, but on the up side it shows they do check properly (which is good for all our security, it could pick up something in a case that is very dangerous indeed :eek: ).

I too have a travel iron, which I wasn't planning to pack for my upcoming cruise to be honest, and certainly won't now after reading your helpful post.

I'm sure your iron was perfectly safe (as is mine), but I can understand their caution; a fire at sea is the stuff of nightmares. Some passengers may try to take on an iron they've had for years and years, that never conformed to any safety standards... or standards that are now decades out of date in any case.

Thank you again for posting this important information.

Edited by pepperrn

It's not so much a matter of appliances that were built to out of date standards, it is that most heating type appliances have an "auto off" switch in them, and these switches are notorious for failure rate. When that switch fails to turn the appliance off at the set temperature, is when fires happen. Here in the US, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business over the number of liability suits brought because of fires caused by their coffee maker auto switches failing. The irons and coffee/tea makers provided on the ships are rotated out of service and tested by the ship's electricians.

But as you say you have taken the iron on board both Cunard and other lines in the past, does this mean that previous checking has been lacking? AFIK irons and other items with heating elements have not been allowed for many years.

I wonder if this means security has improved overall or if it was just a sensitive scanner that picked it up.

My husband bought me a Mont Blanc pen as an anniversary present and that showed up as suspicious......he was called back to security.........I had no idea why and spent a worried 20 minutes thinking someone had planted something on him..........he invented a cock and bull story about them doing random selections of luggage but he always was a bad liar!

I knew something was amiss. He said the security staff were excellent

But as you say you have taken the iron on board both Cunard and other lines in the past, does this mean that previous checking has been lacking? AFIK irons and other items with heating elements have not been allowed for many years.

I wonder if this means security has improved overall or if it was just a sensitive scanner that picked it up.

As this happened on the Q. Victoria ( just the other day) it just goes to show that the security agents acting on behalf of Cunard are certainly on the ball, at those embarkation ports in the Mediterranean, and quite right too.

Perhaps our home port Southampton need to be a bit more vigilant.;)

Each voyage that I've been on (about 5 or 6 QM2), I've traveled with a small personal hand held steamer. Although none of us wants to iron when on vacation, sometimes wrinkles in that pretty gown or flowing dress seems to appear, and it's a necessary evil to have to rid them. My showers are not long enough nor nearly hot enough to even generate enough steam should I hang the dress on the inside of the bathroom door.

The steamer is quick, and not too big. About 11 x 6 inches. I would much rather use a steamer on my long chiffon/rayon heavily beaded dress then to risk an iron to it.

I just got off QM2 last week, and luckily, it was not confiscated. I did just check the owner's manual, and it does have an auto-shutoff should it run dry. In the future, I'm going to pack that manual page that states that just in case there's any question.

Perhaps a steamer might be a better choice for you than an iron in this case?

Each voyage that I've been on (about 5 or 6 QM2), I've traveled with a small personal hand held steamer. Although none of us wants to iron when on vacation, sometimes wrinkles in that pretty gown or flowing dress seems to appear, and it's a necessary evil to have to rid them. My showers are not long enough nor nearly hot enough to even generate enough steam should I hang the dress on the inside of the bathroom door.

The steamer is quick, and not too big. About 11 x 6 inches. I would much rather use a steamer on my long chiffon/rayon heavily beaded dress then to risk an iron to it.

I just got off QM2 last week, and luckily, it was not confiscated. I did just check the owner's manual, and it does have an auto-shutoff should it run dry. In the future, I'm going to pack that manual page that states that just in case there's any question.

Perhaps a steamer might be a better choice for you than an iron in this case?

I haven't checked Cunard's prohibited list, but generally steamers are also not allowed. As I've said above, it really doesn't matter whether the appliance has an auto off switch or not, these switches are known to fail. As I said, the coffee makers the lines provide in the cabins are routinely tested, and I know of at least one that went up in flames in the electrician's shop during testing due to a faulty auto switch.

Many folks claim that since steamers don't have a hot metal surface like an iron, it is safer, but the real danger is as you've said, running dry. Then the heating element can start to melt the plastic casing causing smoke and fumes, and eventually catching something on fire.

... As I said, the coffee makers the lines provide in the cabins are routinely tested, and I know of at least one that went up in flames in the electrician's shop during testing due to a faulty auto switch. ...

Hello chengkp75... a fellow Mainah??

Yes, I would guess that's where they differentiate between the two like appliances - is that they routinely test the coffee makers. Because anything can fail. But since we don't routinely test our home appliance (steamer) then it can be assumed that a steamer in this case is less safe than, say, the coffee pot/kettle that they have in the rooms.

But you're right. The 'ask Cunard' site states the following:

---

"Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc."

---

Hey, maybe I can boil the water in the kettle (legally supplied in the room), and use the steam to get the wrinkles out of my gown. Yeah, I know... or just go into the laundry and use that darn iron...

Edited by mainewoods

Or get your clothes from Bean's, since I find that I cannot wrinkle shirts from them, no matter how long it's rolled up in my bag.

Well, the last I looked, Mr LL doesn't have beaded gowns... And yes, most of my day-wear clothes I wore were from there. Supima cotton tops, knit pants, and even the nice knit dresses from TravelSmith. Wrinkle resistant, however not wrinkle proof. Even packing and putting plastic between each layer, a wrinkle will find its way in there.

Having travelled with a friend who uses hair straighteners, I wonder if this also comes into the banned category?

From memory, I packed those in hand luggage, so they might not have shown up on the thorough scan. I always try to put small heavy items in hand luggage when we are flying, so I can get bulk stuff in the suitcase. However, I have read on the Celebrity board that power strips (those for plugging in multiple electrical items) are banned on Celebrity ships and are picked up in suitcases but not in hand luggage. This makes you wonder about the different levels of screening.

Our electrical items are never hidden but are on display in our rooms, so if the stewards are properly trained I hope they would pick up any infringements and let us know.

Having travelled with a friend who uses hair straighteners, I wonder if this also comes into the banned category?

From memory, I packed those in hand luggage, so they might not have shown up on the thorough scan. I always try to put small heavy items in hand luggage when we are flying, so I can get bulk stuff in the suitcase. However, I have read on the Celebrity board that power strips (those for plugging in multiple electrical items) are banned on Celebrity ships and are picked up in suitcases but not in hand luggage. This makes you wonder about the different levels of screening.

Our electrical items are never hidden but are on display in our rooms, so if the stewards are properly trained I hope they would pick up any infringements and let us know.

Hair care appliances, while the cruise lines would love to ban these items as well, are all allowed as exceptions to the heating appliance ban on every major line.

Unfortunately, the cabin attendants are neither technically trained, nor are they predisposed to upset their guests by taking something away.

Any item brought onboard that had the potential to start a fire risks the lives of all on board. Why take that risk to avoid a few wrinkles? Try putting your gown in a dry cleaner's plastic bag-it works perfectly no matter how long my gowns are folded in my luggage. Frankly, it is frightening to read that anyone would attempt to do this! Kudos to security.

Ive never gone public with this before but we had quite a scary experience on a previous cruise and it served as a lesson to me how easy a fire can start.

I was idling on the bed in our cabin applying my make up while hubby was in the shower.......after a while I noticed a faint burning smell.......it seemed to get stronger so I got up and checked the hairdryer and my straighteners ... nothing.......it was definitely getting stronger, I checked the balcony and corridor and still nothing......all of a sudden I realised that my nightdress was stuffed inside the bedside light shade and was scorching......I know this sounds bizarre but it happened , me putting the light on to do my make up must have been the trigger......so how did my nightdress end up there ....I realised it must have been the steward when he made the bed.....I am usually the most mild mannered person but I was so scared about what could have happened and my nightdress was ruined........hubby was out of the shower by now and was equally shocked......so the steward happened to be in the corridor.......I called him into the room and confronted him with what had happened...he didn't deny it, I did, in a very controlled manner give him the talking to of his life about the consequences, his stupidity and the lack of respect for my property.......I had him practically up against the wall for 10 minutes......

I then felt in a very difficult position.........I know I should have reported the incident but I decided not to because he would obviously get into very serious trouble......I felt sure he had learned the error of his ways , he seemed genuinely shocked and upset ..........he did offer to replace my nightdress but I declined..........I still don't know if I did the right thing but it felt right to me.

We normally tip our steward but I told my husband not to........it was only after we were off the ship hubby confessed he had tipped him, he had tried to firmly decline it but husband said he insisted......he told my husband he was a good man..........

It still remains on my mind and gives me shudders when I think of what might have happened .

Why would he have put your nightdress in the lampshade in the first place ? That's the first question I would have asked.

As I recall, they normally fold/lay such items on the top of the bed for you.

That was the first question I asked him! I thought it showed scant disregard for my belongings.......this wasn't turndown though, it had obviously happened when he made the beds up during the day......

YES-- odd that somehow a nightdress found its way inside a light fixture/ lamp shade~~~

I took an electric heating pad aboard a ship this past July. On an Alaska Cruise...

it was never "hidden" in any way. Luggage went thru normal screening.

And it was visible on/in my bed each day when the steward was in the room.

My BIGGER fear, these past few weeks is the tablets ( Samsung) that are catching fire all over the place.......eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

such as on a flight ???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the first question I asked him! I thought it showed scant disregard for my belongings.......this wasn't turndown though, it had obviously happened when he made the beds up during the day......

Yikes! It certainly did show scant disregard for your belongings, but even worse - deliberately stuffing a nightdress between the light bulb and the lamp shade is a dangerous act that could result in a fire, endangering the ship. Isn't it likely that the steward knew that risk? - yet he did it anyway. One wonders why someone would do such a thing.

Edited by Salacia

Yikes! It certainly did show scant disregard for your belongings, but even worse - deliberately stuffing a nightdress between the light bulb and the lamp shade is a dangerous act that could result in a fire, endangering the ship. Isn't it likely that the steward knew that risk? - yet he did it anyway. One wonders why someone would do such a thing.

I genuinely think he put it there while he made the bed......for safe keeping .very odd I agree......I still find it hard to believe I didn't notice it, I. really didn't notice any difference to the lighting.......I still think maybe I made the wrong decison and should have reported it as a training need......but my gut feeling was that he was genuinely shocked and upset by it.......I feel confident he did make a mistake and learnt from it but I'm still filled with angst about it .

i really don't believe he intended to endanger anyone or anything