Rail: Whittier to Denali

camper49

sounds about right when you look at the regular train schedule;

Whittier to Anc is about 2 1/2 hrs and Anc to Denali is 7 1/2 hrs.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

If that's too long of a travel day, book the train yourself and do it over 2 days by overnighting in Anchorage. (You can replicate the cruisetour by staying at the Princess Lodges or something closeby). The bus is much quicker so maybe consider using the bus for the return trip.

http://www.alaskacoach.com/

It will end up being about 10 hours, with loading time, yes, totally accurate.

The first 2 hours are the "scenic" portion in my opinion. there is dull sections, of trees and more trees, for miles. The left side is considered "more" scenic, if Denali is viewable, which is not usual.

Princess uses assigned 4 person table seating, so 2 ride backward. There have been reports of forward seating with the contracts with HAL cars, but- not predictable.

• 4 weeks later...

We did that portion but in reverse. I have to say that was the most miserable part of the trip. Our assigned seats were facing the rear and the 4-person booth you are assigned to is very small and confining. There is minimal legroom and even less room for your carry-ones. They encourage you to get up and move around to enjoy the open areas but at least half the passengers were standing and walking around. I'm a fairly flexible person but would do all in my power to avoid this trek again. There is a coach transfer available usually and I would choose that in a second.

We did that portion but in reverse. I have to say that was the most miserable part of the trip. Our assigned seats were facing the rear and the 4-person booth you are assigned to is very small and confining. There is minimal legroom and even less room for your carry-ones. They encourage you to get up and move around to enjoy the open areas but at least half the passengers were standing and walking around. I'm a fairly flexible person but would do all in my power to avoid this trek again. There is a coach transfer available usually and I would choose that in a second.

There is a big advantage to using the Alaska RR or other cruiselines, since their seats all face forward and are very roomy and comfortable.