Wedding

Islandgirl1966

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It's much easier to get married on the ship or to do a vow renewal than in the Bahamas (on land).

Look in the 2017 Brides thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2290926

I explain it in detail. And yes, I am getting married in Sept. 2017 on the Carnival Valor and it has stops in Nassau and Freeport.

Edited by drerickson77

Call Carnival. They have wedding packages that begin around $1500. Not expensive at all. If your wedding party is over 8 cabins, you can get a group rate. Guests should pay for their own cabins and you &your fiance can actually use the free cabin from the group booking.

Call Carnival. They have wedding packages that begin around $1500. Not expensive at all. If your wedding party is over 8 cabins, you can get a group rate. Guests should pay for their own cabins and you &your fiance can actually use the free cabin from the group booking.

That's terrible! It's expensive because you pay for your guest! you don't invite someone to your wedding, and ask them to pay!:eek:

That's terrible! It's expensive because you pay for your guest! you don't invite someone to your wedding, and ask them to pay!:eek:

Destination weddings are popular. Everyone pays their own way. Unless your "that" rich then you pay for everyone. It's a good way to go if you want an easy wedding or some people don't get along the expenses weeds out the ones you don't want to come but feel obligated to invite.

Thanks for the info. It's sounding like a wedding on the ship may be the best bet. I will look into the packages offered by Carnival. It's just us and my daughter and her friend so it's small. Thanks again.

that is definitely the safest way - you almost certainly will get on the boat but you can't guarantee that it will go to the ports on your itinerary. (See hurricane Matthew threads - almost any cruise can get detoured for bad weather and it doesn't have to be a hurricane).

Congratulations to you all and have a wonderful wedding cruise!

So my fiancé and I are planning a wedding for next July 2017. We are looking into either getting married on the ship or perhaps on the beach in the Bahamas. Does anyone have any insight on this? It's starting to look kind of complicated and also expensive.

Hello. My wife and I were Married on the Magic in Aug 2014. We had 85 guest; 45 of which sailed with us. We loved every minute of it and had no regrets. Best time of our lives. You will not regret it. Cruise ship weddings are amazing!

that is definitely the safest way - you almost certainly will get on the boat but you can't guarantee that it will go to the ports on your itinerary. (See hurricane Matthew threads - almost any cruise can get detoured for bad weather and it doesn't have to be a hurricane).

Congratulations to you all and have a wonderful wedding cruise!

Was going to say the same thing

Sorry, but for destination weddings, the guests pay for their trip and lodging. Not the bride and groom. That would be a huge, unnecessary financial burden. If a guest cannot afford to attend, they can see the photos or watch the video later.

We were married on Pride and it was wonderful. Carnival's website has a section on weddings. Check it out.

We found our cruise wedding was much less expensive than getting married and having a reception at land-based venues.

There is an entire section of CC on wedding cruises that contains a wealth of info. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=31

Edited by VASOXFANN

Sorry, but for destination weddings, the guests pay for their trip and lodging. Not the bride and groom. That would be a huge, unnecessary financial burden. If a guest cannot afford to attend, they can see the photos or watch the video later.

Destination weddings are selfish by nature. It is a huge and unnecessary financial burden for your guests, not taking into account lost vacation time. And then to suggest that you should use your guests to obtain a free cabin is in incredibly poor taste.

Destination weddings are selfish by nature. It is a huge and unnecessary financial burden for your guests, not taking into account lost vacation time. And then to suggest that you should use your guests to obtain a free cabin is in incredibly poor taste.

We were married on the ship in port before the cruise set sail. Non-sailing guests were able to attend.

With that being said, it is the couple's wedding and their choice. The guest is free to decline the invitation should they choose to do so. For my first wedding, some friends/relatives had to take a day off, drive or fly long distances on their own dimes to get to the church/reception, so using your logic, it's selfish to have a wedding anywhere. :rolleyes:

OP, it's your wedding, do what YOU want!

Edited by VASOXFANN

We were married on the ship in port before the cruise set sail. Non-sailing guests were able to attend.

With that being said, it is the couple's wedding and their choice. The guest is free to decline the invitation should they choose to do so. For my first wedding, relatives had to drive or fly long distances on their own dimes to get to the church/reception, so using your logic, it's selfish to have a wedding anywhere. :rolleyes:

Destination weddings by definition mean that EVERYBODY must travel. Depending on the length of a cruise you are asking people to give up more vacation time than normal. People should spend more time on their marriage and less on the "wedding" might turn out better in the long run

Destination weddings by definition mean that EVERYBODY must travel. Depending on the length of a cruise you are asking people to give up more vacation time than normal. People should spend more time on their marriage and less on the "wedding" might turn out better in the long run

Sometimes, destination weddings are a necessity.

In this situation, where would you have the wedding? (This actually happened. Not a cruise wedding though.)

Bride is originally from Cincinnati.

Groom is originally from Chattanooga.

They met in workplace in Louisiana. Still live there.

They got married in between. In Nashville. Lovely wedding. Not a big turnout, but fairly large. Most of us spent two nights in Nashville.

I do have a question. Would it be safer to get married in the home port? After all, no port is guaranteed.

Edited by LadyBeBop

Can you not read? We were married in port before the ship left. We had several non-sailing guests who left the ship before sailing. This is an option.

This is 2016. Not every friend or relative lives in the same little town on the prairie anymore. People travel to all weddings. Period.

Also, contrary to your ridiculous assertion, the marriage resulting from my traditional, thrown-together "land-based wedding" didn't turn out so well. My marriage from the cruise wedding, to the love of my life, is wonderful.

I don't know who you think you are telling people how to run their weddings and lives. The OP posted asking for advice on cruise weddings, not your personal views about destination weddings! :rolleyes:

Edited by VASOXFANN

Sometimes, destination weddings are a necessity.

In this situation, where would you have the wedding? (This actually happened. Not a cruise wedding though.)

Bride is originally from Cincinnati.

Groom is originally from Chattanooga.

They met in workplace in Louisiana. Still live there.

They got married in between. In Nashville. Lovely wedding. Not a big turnout, but fairly large. Most of us spent two nights in Nashville.

I do have a question. Would it be safer to get married in the home port? After all, no port is guaranteed.

She probably thinks you shouldn't get married at all :rolleyes:

We were married in the home port. About 2 hours drive for us and driving distance for most family/friends. Those who had to drive long distances or fly CHOSE to cruise with us. It worked the best for us because we could have non-sailing guests at the wedding.

Don't listen to the naysayers! Do what works best for you and not somebody on CC who is stuck back in the 1840s!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Thank you!! You said much nicer than I would have. :cool:

We are getting married on the Paradise! We are doing it before we leave the Port of Tampa. We live near the port so we will have sailing and nonsailing guests. We haven't even sent out save the dates yet and already have 6 cabins booked.

Don't listen to the naysayers but be prepared for declines. The thing about a destination wedding is that you have to be ok even if it's just you and your fiancé. People DO have a choice of whether to go or not, you aren't forcing them.

Also, as previously mentioned check out the weddings and honeymoons board over in the special interest cruising section

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are getting married on the Paradise! We are doing it before we leave the Port of Tampa. We live near the port so we will have sailing and nonsailing guests. We haven't even sent out save the dates yet and already have 6 cabins booked.

Don't listen to the naysayers but be prepared for declines. The thing about a destination wedding is that you have to be ok even if it's just you and your fiancé. People DO have a choice of whether to go or not, you aren't forcing them.

Also, as previously mentioned check out the weddings and honeymoons board over in the special interest cruising section

Thank you!

People on here don't seem to realize that YOUR wedding is about YOU, not them. Same goes for your guests. If there are choose not to attend, there will be plenty who choose to take their places.

Thank you!

People on here don't seem to realize that YOUR wedding is about YOU, not them. Same goes for your guests. If there are choose not to attend, there will be plenty who choose to take their places.

Agreed, though I do think you have to treat those who do come well. Some of the responses here were pretty ridiculous. Its definitely a choice nobody MUST pay to go

Edited by StingRaysfan

Agreed, though I do think you have to treat those who do come well. Some of the responses here were pretty ridiculous. Its definitely a choice nobody MUST pay to go

Definitely. We had a party at the hotel the night before and paid transportation from the hotel to and from the ship for those who could not sail with us. Everyone had a blast.