First Time Shore Excursions

SaltyAggie

Looking for recommendations for a family's first time cruising. Ports include Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Looking for dolphin swim, zip lining and snorkeling. Any suggestions on which activities to do at which location??

For first time cruisers I always recommend you going through Carnival to book excursions for your first cruise.

I have done both through Carnival and through private tour companies.

Just for peace of mind, go through Carnival. Their tours are Great, they may be a little higher than private tour company, but still worth it.

Out of all those places, the water is best in Grand Cayman.. absolutely beautiful.So I recommend snorkeling there. This is where we are going this summer to snorkel.

This past summer we went to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel ( Private company, not through Carnival). We also snorkeled there... Very nice... LOVED Mr. Sanchos....

Edited by JW2011

You might check out the port of call boards for each of your destinations. I normally recommend ship's excursions for 1st timers, but Cozumel is sooo easy to do on your own (just watch the time).

I agree with JW to do snorkeling in Grand Cayman ... amazing water there!

It's easy enough to a dolphin swim in Coz, there are a couple of places just a cab ride away, or you could do the Carnival excursion.

Swimming with the stingrays is a must-do in Grand Cayman! It can be combined with other snorkeling, too.

I second this...especially if you are unsure that you will return to GC. It's a once in a lifetime kind of experience :) Most of the companies offer a combo trip. We used Stingray Sailing (catamaran) last year, which was fabulous, and this year we are going back and using Ebanks and going out on jet skis to the rays and snorkeling.

We also loved the snorkeling in Jamaica. We hired The Freestyle which is a catamaran from Jamaica Watersports. They picked our family up right in front of the ship in MoBay and we had a wonderful day of snorkeling ! We left the ship shortly after we arrived in Jamaica and got back shortly after lunch. We had many hours to lazy around the very empty ship during the afternoon.

We always go to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel, but there are tons of things to do. Hopefully you will get some great suggestions.

As recommended, go to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587 for advice for your ports.

Montego Bay - Zip-line and river tubing, a blast.

Grand Cayman - Snorkel and Sting Ray City. Do a private tour, it's cheaper and smaller group of people. We like Capt. Marvin.

Cozumel - Haven't done dolphin swim and personally wouldn't, so check out the boards.

Have fun.