Santarem & Manaus on your own

stew300

Did you strike out on your own in these places? We would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

We normally do find our own tours or walks but these two places do not seem to lend themselves to that.

Here is the link to my mini album on my Amazon cruise on Radisson. http://mysite.verizon.net/wsterner/amazoncruise/

The Opera house in Manaus is around 10 minutes by bus from the port the ship docks at. But in the three cities on the Amazon that my ship was at, there were small "cabs" and a lot of people used then to get around. The people were friendly and they do not get tons of cruise business and they are happy to see you.

In Parintins there was a small shopping area off the tender port. The Captain of the SS Mariner made a "donation" to the local Boy Scouts and there were something like 15 of them in uniform to help people around the tender area. Everybody I talked to felt safe. In Santarem I did the Eco River Tour and the little ships left from one side of the ship and the people going ashore from the dock on the other side. But they did have some shopping just off the ship under a tent.

We visited both places on our circumnavigation of SA on Radisson in 02. In Manaus, all the big jewelry stores offered free taxi transport out to a lovely hotel area where all the stores were located and where there was even a nice park. We took advantage of this, and were pleasantly surprised because the taxi ride was almost 1/2 hour in length so we really got to see the outlying areas. The next morning, we decided to walk out on our own to the big local market. People had warned us about doing this, so we left our camera on the ship and carried only a few dollars. We were the only ones from the ship in the market. But it was wonderful. No one bothered us in the market or on the back streets as we walked there.

We sailed with Radisson and they took us in the evening on an included "event" to the opera house for a concert. You must try to get inside the opera house—most interesting.

In Santorem, we met up with another couple from the ship on the pier. We took a taxi with them to the town itself. The taxi drove like the wind, but we made it safely, and really enjoyed walking around the town. We had no trouble hailing a cab to get us back to the ship. This was really fantastic to see. You get an excellent idea of life in the region. The ship offered other kinds of tours, but not to the town itself. Again we had no problems, other than the speed at which the taxi driver drove—wild.

Are you going to the west coast of SA, too? We did the same thing in LaSerena—got off and this time got a local bus into the town. We handed the driver two American dollars. He just smiled and put them into his pocket. There was a well dressed man on the bus. We talked to him and in perfect English he told us about the places we were passing. He was a tv person it turned out, and he even told us when to get off the bus. At first we were concerned when we started off when a police car pulled up beside us. The policemen gestured to my husband, indicating not to keep his camera slung over his shoulder. My husband held the camera more securely, the policemen smiled and drove off. Everyone was so helpful. We were the only ones from the ship who did this. The others all took the ship tour. We saw them in the town. Oh, one other thing. When we got back to the area where we had started near the pier on the bus, the driver motioned us to sit back down. He drove the bus right up to the pier so we could get off there and not on the street. Wonderful. Hope you have similar happy times on your trip.

Thanks so much to both blackbird 71 and blue whale for your information.

We will be doing the Amazon in September next year and am just starting to do some research for this trip. I have been busy teeing up everything for our South America cruise in 8 weeks time.

Jennie

You can easily go to the market and the Opera House on your own in Manaus either by cab or walking but it is very hot so I suggest a cab. There are very reasonable tours at the Opera House. We went to the zoo and the research center by tour and, while it was pretty exhausting hiking around in the heat, I think the tours gave us an excellent overview of life in Manaus and we saw lots of school children at the zoo. Everyone was very friendly and wanted to practice his English while we tried Portugese. We had a tour guide who had gotten his Masters Degree at the U of FL and now works for the gov't in research. He was very knowledgeable.

In Santerem you can get into the city easily. There was a shuttle bus into the center where some shops were open. It was Sunday when we were there. However, the best part of our stop in Santerem was the ride out of town to the Manioc house and Alter de Chao which is a resort area for Santerem. At the Manioc House you get a demonstration of the very labor intense method of processing the manioc, an important staple in Brazilian diets. And information about many of the fruits and foods of Northern Brazil. In Alter de Chao the teens gave a dance demonstration. It was very nice.

The whole trip was wonderful. Enjoy!

I did exchange some money in Manaus but didn't need to. Dollars were readily acceptable everywhere we went. Just be aware of the exchange rate when you go in case the price is in Reals. In fact, I found the price was a little better in cash dollars. But I didn't buy anything expensive - just small souvenirs and handcrafts. Enjoy!

Jean,

Thanks so much for all this information. I am also glad that you enjoyed the trip so much.

Were there some places you like better than others and did you use any private guides or just went your own way. Also what about some of the ship's excursions. Sorry for all the questions but we have never been to any of these ports.

Jennie

I am so happy to have found this thread. We're leaving in 3 weeks for a 25-day cruise on the Oceania Regatta. I had so many questions about the Amazon, and all you nice people answered them! Didn't sign up for any tours in Manaus, and now I'm just as glad. I really don't think I want to walk around a hot, humid zoo. But, who knows!!! Love the jewelry rides--do they bring you back to the ship, also? Thanks so much for all the helpful info.

Esther

Yes you do get a ride back from the H Stern people from the Tropical Hotel.This jewelery company is NO pressure and the hotel lets you use the pool and enjoy the small zoo. WE have a very pleasant day including free beverages in the jewelery store!

We visited both places on our circumnavigation of SA on Radisson in 02. In Manaus, all the big jewelry stores offered free taxi transport out to a lovely hotel area where all the stores were located and where there was even a nice park. We took advantage of this, and were pleasantly surprised because the taxi ride was almost 1/2 hour in length so we really got to see the outlying areas. The next morning, we decided to walk out on our own to the big local market. People had warned us about doing this, so we left our camera on the ship and carried only a few dollars. We were the only ones from the ship in the market. But it was wonderful. No one bothered us in the market or on the back streets as we walked there.

Just returned a week ago from Canal/Amazon cruise and also took advantage of one of two jewelers' transportation. The one we used also dropped us off at the Theatre and we took the tour there before going on to the Tropical Hotel. While at the hotel, we found that the hotel had a Boi Bomba show and dinner in the evening and made reservations for that. One of the jewelers provided our transportation for that as well. The show and dinner was about $25 each. It was a buffet and a nice variety. The hotel also has a small zoo so you can see some of the local animals up close.

We also ventured out into the market and streets and had no problems, but just be careful as it is quite crowded. We did run onto other people from the ship in the market so were not the only ones who ventured out.

One thought about Santerem: On the waterfront, people sell live chickens right there. It was interesting to see a "meat market" of this kind, but if you go there today, suggest you stay on the other side of the street and not near the birds at all, because of the bird flu—better to be safe than sorry.

Our ship stopped also at Parateme (spelling?) and there we enjoyed the boi bomba show—wonderful. Our ship actually called at Alter de Chao, so check whether you make a stop there before signing for a tour from another close port.

Our ship called at Paratins as well. The "tricycles" there are a hoot. Ship cost for hour and a half excursion - $49 for an hour and a half. We walked right off tender and hired one ourselves for $4 for both of us. Others paid from $1 to $10 each.

Another thought: We bought canoe paddles along the Amazon to bring home; they are small ones, no longer than 18 inches, wood, carved. We got two, each carved a little differently, and have them hanging together with masks and hangings from other parts of South America. The paddles were about 5 dollars per one. Although we did not get them there, we saw them in the market at Manaus. We used America dollars. The paddles fit into the suitcase for transport home. Put them in a pull-on carry-on luggage piece, because of the 50 pound max on big bags. Wood is a little heavy.

Archived