Restrictions on Cuban Rum and Cigars lifted

ItsAllAboutTheSass

I suspect evandbob is right about the likelihood of finding authentic Cuban cigars in ports other than Cuba. But has anyone had any experience finding real Cuban cigars while on a cruise. And how did you know? (not being argumentative here, just trying to get some tips)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had friends who bought Cuban cigars in Aruba several years ago in a very upscale shop not from some street vendor. Were they the real thing? Don't have a clue I hate cigars!

I suspect evandbob is right about the likelihood of finding authentic Cuban cigars in ports other than Cuba. But has anyone had any experience finding real Cuban cigars while on a cruise. And how did you know? (not being argumentative here, just trying to get some tips)

There was a thread here on CC a few years back where some serious cigar afficianados were discussing all the counterfeits in the various ports like Cozumel and the DR.

They were pretty much in agreement that the only way to get a good Cuban cigar was to visit Cuba. They had named many of the ersatz brands being pawned off. I believe one of the most knowledgeable was Cigar Dude, in his tux smoking away on a cigar.

Hmmmm, yeah I suppose what I bought could easily have been counterfeit. Of course the cigar shop owner was confident that they weren't fakes, but how would I know. I bought them in either St Thomas or St Maarten. Don't recall which.

The Cuban rum is real though, Havana club (not the Bacardi brand) is sold all over the place and is very popular, just not in America. I've bought it several times on various islands, but the last one I got in Mexico at the airport.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

The Cohibas have a type of hologram on the label. Just for fun I bought "Cohibas" in Mexico and we compared them to real ones that were brought back from Cuba by a friend. They did an outstanding job on the packaging and labeling but the hologram was missing. However my husband said they were pretty good. And 3 for $10 was a bargain :D