Carnival vs MSC

Jamericannn

I want to book MSC Davina for 2018. Based on what I see on videos and pictures, the ships looks very cool. Do you know if they offer the same basic things as Carnival do? Are their room sizes the same?

Do it!!! Carnival is usually my 'go to' cruise line and I decided to try something different this summer. Sailed a quick three day on Divina and LOVED it! The ship is BEAUTIFUL compared to Carnival. The crew was amazing and friendly just like Carnival. We loved it so much, booked the Seaside for 2018! :D The cabin seemed a bit more spacious than Carnival, probably due to the layout. Apply for the loyalty match program after you book!

Do it!!! Carnival is usually my 'go to' cruise line and I decided to try something different this summer. Sailed a quick three day on Divina and LOVED it! The ship is BEAUTIFUL compared to Carnival. The crew was amazing and friendly just like Carnival. We loved it so much, booked the Seaside for 2018! :D The cabin seemed a bit more spacious than Carnival, probably due to the layout. Apply for the loyalty match program after you book!

Thank you. That gives me more confidence in booking it. It is a little cheaper as well. The only sad part is that I could be earning more points on the Carnival if I stick with them but I will definitely try the Davina.

It's funny, out first cruise was 14 years ago, and was on the MSC Melody. They were still pretty new to cruising I think. A few years later when we did Carnival, we saw how much better some things could be. But, at the time, I will say MSC had much better entertainment. The cruise we did (12-days) was mostly adults about about 50% Europeans. The shows were a bit more PG-13 for sure, but we loved it. I would say the food was a bit more upscale as well. Again, this is 14 years ago, but just sharing. ;)

That gives me more confidence in booking it. It is a little cheaper as well.

Keep in mind that here on CC, Carnival gets the bad rap of being the "cheap price", "bottom of the barrel", "basic cruise" "Walmart Of The Seas" cruise line that because of their low pricing attracts a low class budget minded clientele that drink, party, fist fight and gamble to excess and that ultimately "you get what you pay for."

Although I don't agree with anything I just wrote above and have never had less that a great time and positive experience on any Carnival ship be it short or weeklong, keep in mind that, beautiful ship or not, you are now considering another cruise line that is cheaper.

Edited by AdGuyMG

Okay I did the MSC Lirica... omg.. it is such a beautiful and clean ship.

they had their inspection while we where on it and scored 100% for the being so clean,

however we experience the most rudest staff and service ever..

what one post said about the food believe it...

Dinner was a nightmare from hell... we all got part of our meal different times.. no really.. no alternate for formal nights either.. you go do or you go hungry.

At breakfast we ate in the buffet and actually saw a crew member take someone's hard boiled egg off the dirty plate pealed it and then ate it.

Honest to god.. I am not lying.. they took the silverware you did not used and put them back in the drawer.

You got 4oz cups for your drinks in the buffet too.

We were in Port one day and saw the cook getting subs from Subway in San Juan...

It was nice entertainment.. yes a totally different culture.. yes did I mentioned it was spotless..

We did 10 days and lost 11 lbs.. and I am very petite..

Ate chips at the bar.

We got off the ship and I was never so glad to see a McD's and don't even like it..

But everyone has their own taste..

I will take Carnival over any time.. they may get a bad reviews.. but

you don't starve either..

On Carnival you will have more fun.....

Edited by rjrice1

Okay I did the MSC Lirica... omg.. it is such a beautiful and clean ship.

they had their inspection while we where on it and scored 100% for the being so clean,

however we experience the most rudest staff and service ever..

what one post said about the food believe it...

Dinner was a nightmare from hell... we all got part of our meal different times.. no really.. no alternate for formal nights either.. you go do or you go hungry.

At breakfast we ate in the buffet and actually saw a crew member take someone's hard boiled egg off the dirty plate pealed it and then ate it.

Honest to god.. I am not lying.. they took the silverware you did not used and put them back in the drawer.

You got 4oz cups for your drinks in the buffet too.

We were in Port one day and saw the cook getting subs from Subway in San Juan...

It was nice entertainment.. yes a totally different culture.. yes did I mentioned it was spotless..

We did 10 days and lost 11 lbs.. and I am very petite..

Ate chips at the bar.

We got off the ship and I was never so glad to see a McD's and don't even like it..

But everyone has their own taste..

I will take Carnival over any time.. they may get a bad reviews.. but

you don't starve either..

On Carnival you will have more fun.....

That's sad. Many people cruise for the food. That is a major part of the package for me

Keep in mind that here on CC, Carnival gets the bad rap of being the "cheap price", "bottom of the barrel", "basic cruise" "Walmart Of The Seas" cruise line that because of their low pricing attracts a low class budget minded clientele that drink, party, fist fight and gamble to excess and that ultimately "you get what you pay for."

Although I don't agree with anything I just wrote above and have never had less that a great time and positive experience on any Carnival ship be it short or weeklong, keep in mind that, beautiful ship or not, you are now considering another cruise line that is cheaper.

MSC Davina is not expensive at all. I am sure there are rude people on all ships

It's funny, out first cruise was 14 years ago, and was on the MSC Melody. They were still pretty new to cruising I think. A few years later when we did Carnival, we saw how much better some things could be. But, at the time, I will say MSC had much better entertainment. The cruise we did (12-days) was mostly adults about about 50% Europeans. The shows were a bit more PG-13 for sure, but we loved it. I would say the food was a bit more upscale as well. Again, this is 14 years ago, but just sharing. ;)

That's horrible. Their reviews are not as good as Carnival's. I just love the interior look of their ships more from the videos I've seen

Divina is heading back to Europe in 2018. It begins showing up on port schedules in April.

They must have a replacement. Hopefully another Nigel large ship. I don't like the fact that I hear that they ran out of food though. That is just not good at all. T

I am not a picky eater (brought up eat or go hungry..lol) We even bought our own food/snacks at each port to get us through the next port.

Even our own salad dressing ... we still laugh about it today...

That's sad. Many people cruise for the food. That is a major part of the package for me

Yes,here were the most rudest people I ever met... the higher up were nasty. The stewards, waiters and low pay roll were the nicest. The officers.. well they need a course on manners and something else

MSC Davina is not expensive at all. I am sure there are rude people on all ships

That's horrible. Their reviews are not as good as Carnival's. I just love the interior look of their ships more from the videos I've seen

Not sure what you're saying is horrible, the PG-13 shows? They were very funny! And these were ones that were smaller, in lounges and such. The ship was definitely older, smaller, etc... As I said, I don't remember there being many kids on the cruise at all.

The food, at that time, was definitely more upscale. I'm not a fancy food person. Give some grilled chicken, potatoes, and I'm good. So for me, the food was a bit over the top. There were a few times when I had a hard time finding something to eat. But my parents and husband loved it!

Again, I wouldn't see any reason to go with them again. We just had an amazing buy one, get one free deal, that's why we tried it. It was our first cruise, 12-days and included the Panama Canal!! :D

I want to book MSC Davina for 2018. Based on what I see on videos and pictures, the ships looks very cool. Do you know if they offer the same basic things as Carnival do? Are their room sizes the same?

Rooms are bigger if you book the fantastica experience.Balcony 191-versus 185, insides are 169 versus 160. Carnival has been lying about there inside room sizes forever they are not 185 sq ft so they now say they are 170sq ft and that is also wrong.

Not sure what you're saying is horrible, the PG-13 shows? They were very funny! And these were ones that were smaller, in lounges and such. The ship was definitely older, smaller, etc... As I said, I don't remember there being many kids on the cruise at all.

The food, at that time, was definitely more upscale. I'm not a fancy food person. Give some grilled chicken, potatoes, and I'm good. So for me, the food was a bit over the top. There were a few times when I had a hard time finding something to eat. But my parents and husband loved it!

Again, I wouldn't see any reason to go with them again. We just had an amazing buy one, get one free deal, that's why we tried it. It was our first cruise, 12-days and included the Panama Canal!! :D

Ignore the "that's horrible" part. I think I misread something. They seem to have better deals at times than carnival such as the bit one get one and the kids sail free. The conversations about the lack of food is making me start to reconsider though. I would prefer to get enough food to eat and use the snack money to get an extra drink.

Rooms are bigger if you book the fantastica experience.Balcony 191-versus 185, insides are 169 versus 160. Carnival has been lying about there inside room sizes forever they are not 185 sq ft so they now say they are 170sq ft and that is also wrong.

I usually hear that Carnival have the largest rooms. I guess it all depends on the category of the rooms 4A vs a 6J category etc.

I have cruised Divina twice. She I a lovely ship. The food is a little different...Don't order their steak and expect anything other than well done. Europeans just don't understand steak. And don't expect ice in your water glass in the MDR. Yes, we had an older, mixed up waiter, but we didn't go hungry. The cabins vary in size depending on location, not necessarily on category. If you ae considering her, check out the cabin threads and ask questions on the MSC board. EM

I have cruised Divina twice. She I a lovely ship. The food is a little different...Don't order their steak and expect anything other than well done. Europeans just don't understand steak. And don't expect ice in your water glass in the MDR. Yes, we had an older, mixed up waiter, but we didn't go hungry. The cabins vary in size depending on location, not necessarily on category. If you ae considering her, check out the cabin threads and ask questions on the MSC board. EM

Very impressive cruising history

Ignore the "that's horrible" part. I think I misread something. They seem to have better deals at times than carnival such as the bit one get one and the kids sail free. The conversations about the lack of food is making me start to reconsider though. I would prefer to get enough food to eat and use the snack money to get an extra drink.

Haha! No problem! I was just a little confused! ;)

And keep in mind what I'm saying was 14 years ago. So definitely read what others have written. I'm a picky eater, I fully admit it.

We have sailed the Divina twice. The ship is great, and the service level is on par with CCL.

Their website, on the other hand SUCKS!! If you book call them directly, you'll most likely have to call them anyway after website screws up something or other...

They must have a replacement. Hopefully another Nigel large ship. I don't like the fact that I hear that they ran out of food though. That is just not good at all. T

Seaside, coming in late 2017, and she looks like she is going to be gorgeous. However, I think they are planning to have 2 ships in the U.S. once at that point. Divina goes off to Europe for a spell most every year.

Hmmm.... I remember the shows on Carnival being much more PG-13 back then also. In fact, probably closer to R on occasion. Those were the days. ;)

The entertainment is a bit different on MSC, but a nice switch. Quite funny to hear the opera singer doing motown. They have variety acts embedded into every show, which becomes repetitive but is something different.

We've been on MSC (out of Florida) 4 times and never experienced anything like that. The buffet is open for dinner and throughout the day, just like Carnival.

We have sailed the Divina twice. The ship is great, and the service level is on par with CCL.

Their website, on the other hand SUCKS!! If you book call them directly, you'll most likely have to call them anyway after website screws up something or other...

That pretty much sums it up. Some people who are very picky about a given aspect of service might really dislike MSC (or Carnival for that matter), but it's mostly "the same, but slightly different."

They seem to have improved the website, but I haven't attempted an actual booking which is where it has gotten really ugly in the past. Definitely worth calling in any case since cabin availability is much better over the phone. That said, MSC allows agents to discount so it might be worth getting quotes on the site where TAs will bid on your business.