Closet Space?

mypuppyisprincesstoo

We thought closet space on Grand class fine - and thought it a bit tight on Pacific Princess (and her sisters with Oceania).

Former Sky Princess (now Pacific Sky in Australia) and Regal Princess have lots of storage space.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the different classes of ships? I just booked my 1st Princess cruise on the Sapphire. Is it a "grand" ship?

Also, I see "CB" in a lot of thread titles, but when I read them, they are talking about the Caribbean Princess, which I would've thought would be "CP".

I did try to find out exactly how large the Sapphire is, like gross tonnage and max passenger load, etc, so I could compare it to the RCCL ships I've been on, but I haven't found it yet. Can you point me in the right direction?:confused:

Thanks so much for the help!

The Sapphire is one of the newest Grand Class ship plus. A bit differrent..larger..and I think more balconies. Friends of ours were on her last year and loved her.

Check out cruise critics home site under "Fnd a Review" ...Scroll down to the Sapphire

They use CB because CP is taken already... Crown Princess I think..

Actually CP is Coral Princess. Not sure what they will do when Crown starts sailing.

Carribbean Princess is a Grand class but with an extra deck of cabins (Riviera). Holds around 3200 passengers. Didn't seem all that crowded but some folks here didn't like the extra passengers with the same amount of public space. On the Princess site the ships are listed by class.

Closets are something like 8' long, shelf on top and plenty of room for several suitcases in the corners.

You shouldn't have problems with storage, even if you over pack. We took some hangers ourselves, but your room steward should be more than happy to get you extras.

This is 7 days worth of clothes for my wife and I. Things we couldn't hang up (shorts, bathing suits, socks, etc.) will fit easily in the drawers and storage cabinet with the "microwave".

Click to enlarge:

10005133bl.th.jpg

Here's our strategy for packing: pack everything you think you'll need for seven days. Then take out the sweatshirts you won't need. Then take out half your pants, polo shirts and t-shirts. Make sure you packed your sunscreen. You're done.

If you run out of clothes or spill something, there are coin-operated washers and dryers on the Caribe deck that you can run in a pinch for $1.50 a load, but you won't need to.

PS - If your room steward on the Star happens to be Luis (port side 300-400 bloc), tell him David and Sarah from the end of October cruise say, "Hi".

Will we have to bring our own extra hangers or will there be enough in the closet?

There were at least 30 wooden hangers (some with clips for pants) in our cabin. You can ask for more if you have more clothes. But we had enough hangers for 2 adults for a 7-day cruise. I did bring kids' plastic hangers for my kids' clothes.

A good thing to have is an accordian shoe hanger. I got one at IKEA for like $8 (it had 8 compartments) and it velcros to the bar in the closet. I put all the knick knacks in there to save room in the bathroom. But even the bathroom had plenty of space for toiletry. This was the same for all Grand Class ships (Star, Diamond, Sapphire, etc...)

There are ample drawer space and closet space under and above the safe. We had inside and outside cabins.

The closet is essentially a dressing area across the width of the cabin with the bathroom entrance opposite the closet. There's PLENTY of storage and hanging space. You'll also have storage in the two tables next to the beds as well as drawers in the dressing table.

We found that space was more at a premium in the bathroom than it was in the closet.

If you don't have one, I recommend getting a hanging personal toiletry bag for all your bathroom stuff.

These are from LL Bean and start at about $20 (plus shipping); the largest ones are about $40. My wife and I each have one for our shampoo, toothbrushes, razors, hair gel, make up, etc. There are a couple of shelves in the bathroom, but we found these to be gold.

L34904_Red.jpg

David...we are in c318. So if our room stewart is Luis we will say hi for you!

How did you like the Star? She looks beautiful. We were on the Sun a few years back I enjoyed her a lot. The last 3 cruises tho Have been on HAL and that was great too. Nice size balcony cabins on Hal. I know we will enjoy the Star..we have had not one cruise we have not enjoyed..

The Star is a good ship. The service was very, very good, the food was "excellente" as they say in the dining rooms and the ship is in good shape.

In my signature, click on "The Star Princess Mystery Cruise" and it will take you to my cruise recap and some pictures.

Closets are something like 8' long, shelf on top and plenty of room for several suitcases in the corners.

More like 5' on the Coral and we had a pop-up laundry bag in one corner...my shoes in the other. No room for suit cases. They went under the bed.

The space we had was even less because I had to hang my toiletry bag (like the one above) in the closet. Hanging it on the bath door, limited the space you had to get in and out and it would also swing annoyingly when opening and closing the door.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1401/2/49/43/75/25/3/325754349205_0_ALB.jpg

I have come to the realization that everyone is different in what is acceptable and what isn't in a stateroom, based on what you are use to at home. We have a closet that is as big as a large bedroom and I bring 1/4 of it with me when I cruise. :D I got tickled with HighLordDave's photo. The clothes in that closet represented about two nights worth of clothes for my DH and I. However, just about everything I bring is hang-able and I only took up two drawers with clothes. My DH had the entire cabinet, plus one drawer. He took every golf shirt he owns and used probably three.:rolleyes: I, on the other hand, used everything I brought!

I got tickled with HighLordDave's photo. The clothes in that closet represented about two nights worth of clothes for my DH and I.

What can I say? We're low maintenance.

Personally, I have no problems wearing the same pants to dinner every night. After all, dinner is the only time I wear anything other than shorts or swimming trunks, so I don't mind recycling khakis. Same thing with polo shirts; so why take more than three? The other people on the boat don't care what you're wearing and even if they do, you're probably never going to see them again. I took one suit, two dress shirts and two ties for the formal nights.

Another thing that keeps down the amount of clothes we take is that a good chunk of our suitcase space is taken up packing Diet Pepsi since my wife won't drink Coca-Cola products and is a very grouchy bear if she doesn't get her Diet Pepsi every day.

Archived