Not fair!!! It is what it is....penalized for early booking

sandy1020

I noticed today on a web site that a balcony cabin is now the price of my inside and so I wanted to take advantage of this-afterall, I paid in full several months ago when final payment was due.

This will be cruise #3 on the Quest

I like Oceania as well

My agent was told this was for new bookings only....huh?? and would have to pay the non-promotion price to get the balcony...many thousands of Canadian dollars more!

Great marketing strategy to attract new bookings-will encourage me to wait until last minute next time as I am quite flexible and easy-as long as I am on the ship!!

:mad: Cruise lines do this all the time. "It is what it is"Airfares and convenient flight schedules are not plentiful in our part of the country and that keeps us from doing "last minute" travel. Plus we are self-employed/semi-retired and still have business demands. We also book at least 6 months in advance. Did you use a travel agent ? they should be watching for the best deal for you -- although a cheaper cabin means less commission in their pocket. Hope you have a wonderful cruise, regardless.:)

There are sometimes early offers which include a guarantee to apply any future price reductions to your booking but that is not quite what you seek.

Early bookers may also receive upsell offers which will offer some discount on the brochure price.

But I don't think the OP has any real cause for complaint- for any booking there is a decision to be made as to whether make an early booking and secure the cruise you want, or whether to hold off in the hope that prices will come down as sailing date approaches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We got caught out too but in a different way.

We were emailed to say there would be OBC if we booked over 10 months in advance and as we booked last year we asked for it.

However, when we booked this offer wasn't available so, we don't get the OBC.

Still seems unfair but that's the way it goes.

I never understand complaints about price drops after final payment. If you want to gamble on a very good price at the risk of a sold out ship, a poor cabin location or simply no last minute offer, then by all means book late (after final payment). But don't want all the advantages of early booking and then also expect the lowest price [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never understand complaints about price drops after final payment. If you want to gamble on a very good price at the risk of a sold out ship, a poor cabin location or simply no last minute offer, then by all means book late (after final payment). But don't want all the advantages of early booking and then also expect the lowest price [emoji849]

Exactly my reaction. :) we always book early and get a stateroom in our preferred location. We take advantage of whatever repricing offers make sense prior to final payment. After that, we don't worry about what late bookers might be able to get. I am similarly unmoved when people who book guarantees complain about getting a poor cabin location. :rolleyes:

Hi

This was not actually a complaint-it was more of... how shall we say....an observation!

I stated that I am happy to just be on the Quest...and we book more for itinerary and much less so for cabin type, although there are certain itineraries that I would only do with a verandah, and on others, any cabin category is usually fine-we are not on the ship to sit in the cabin or on the verandah!!

For any cruise, I will book whatever we will be happy with for that itinerary

However on scenic Arctic and Antarctic voyages, beautiful balconies add to the experience for us!

We are huge independent world travellers, and like cruises as well (at least 35)

In the past, with Azamara we have been able to upgrade at the new price point, and that it seems is no longer the situation

So, this post is not to have a cathartic moment-more to express some surprise, and I am

happily waiting for my cruise

Exactly my reaction. :) we always book early and get a stateroom in our preferred location. We take advantage of whatever repricing offers make sense prior to final payment. After that, we don't worry about what late bookers might be able to get. I am similarly unmoved when people who book guarantees complain about getting a poor cabin location. :rolleyes:

Like! [emoji846]

Hi

This was not actually a complaint-it was more of... how shall we say....an observation!

I stated that I am happy to just be on the Quest...and we book more for itinerary and much less so for cabin type, although there are certain itineraries that I would only do with a verandah, and on others, any cabin category is usually fine-we are not on the ship to sit in the cabin or on the verandah!!

For any cruise, I will book whatever we will be happy with for that itinerary

However on scenic Arctic and Antarctic voyages, beautiful balconies add to the experience for us!

We are huge independent world travellers, and like cruises as well (at least 35)

In the past, with Azamara we have been able to upgrade at the new price point, and that it seems is no longer the situation

So, this post is not to have a cathartic moment-more to express some surprise, and I am

happily waiting for my cruise

I think your red "thumbs down" emoji coupled with "not fair!" on your post gave us a different impression than this. Happy you are happy. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CYNSport