Marine / police scanner

bcsfd279

People bring radios all the time. A simple (and very inexpensive) Baofeng can easily provide multiple purposes like HAM, family radio, marine band listening, etc., and it looks just like the family radios that people buy at Walmart.

You can get it in a app. No need for a radio, just your phone or iPad.

The only way these apps work is if someone else is scanning the frequencies and then putting it onto streaming media. To get this outside US ports would be pretty uncommon, and certainly to find anyone scanning the ship's particular frequencies would be rarer.

Scanners are generally allowed, though not in some countries. UHF and VHF transmitters, however, outside the FRS/GMRS frequencies may not be allowed either onboard or ashore.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the responses. Going to make sre5its not on the list of banned items first.

Thanks -Ryan

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

Not sure how much this will help you, but for others searching in the future

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

It's on the prohibited items page on Carnival's website. Luckily it's under exemptions!

I took two on Carnival last year and got stopped at the bag screening machines -- over the antenna for the radio! One was a Ham Radio, the other was a dedicated scanner. I grabbed the ham radio and showed them; at first the guy thought it wasn't allowed but checked with his supervisor, who then said it was okay.

This year I'm taking just my scanner most likely, but I printed out that page with the exemption saying ham radio equipment is okay. And it should look close enough to ham equipment that they shouldn't know the difference. I think generally radios are okay, but if I remember in the past there have been people iffy on scanners so I just refer to it as ham radio equipment, since I do use it to monitor 2m frequencies as well, and keep it hidden while in use.

DH takes his Baofeng handheld radio every cruise. He is a Ham and enjoys listening to the "bands" or whatever. Anyway as well as marine traffic you can listen to the ship communications from various departments. A wire antenna on the balcony increases reception (or so I am told).

Chris