Someone help me with regard tipping? Who do I tip and what amount?

Rob32

What about lack of validation? Can we enjoy that?

I'm so glad to not have cruised in the era of envelopes. Imagine, you spend 5 minutes of their day (which they could have spent sleeping, or having a non-work life), to tell them how FABULOUS they were.....and then they open the envelope and it contains less than they would have made if you had just left the Service Charge in place.

Imagine, how awesome that makes them feel.

Now, if you truly want them to have more - then leave the Service Charge in place, and give them extra....no envelope required.

Separately, to the person from Melbourne - of course you don't tip extra, everything already costs 3x the US price, because it is priced to include a full salary. In the US, things are not. In the US you can get a $30 haircut, which is not awful. In Melbourne, the same cut would be $65AUD.

I know....I just had one there, 3 weeks ago.

Stephen

Melbourne, well that would be me.

$65 for a haircut is ridiculous for a men's cut, $25-35 tops.

I agree with the no envelopes thing. I paid the grats on the last cruise, it was easy.

Cheers from OZ. [emoji2]

I would usually go by the daily service charges, and if I had a average to above cabin steward, I would give $25 at the end of the cruise, but it wasn't a deal breaker-if you can't do it,don't worry. Same goes for if I had the SAME server and s/he was decent to above average.

I had two cruises with very poor stewards, so I did not give the extra but left the daily service charge in place. However, my most recent cruise I had the best steward of any cruise, so he got $50($25 from us each).

I Haven't done the Haven, but did have a concierge for the first time on my last cruise,so I wasn't sure what to give her. I consulted fellow NCL friends, who gave me a range of $0(if she did nothing) to $100, with $50 being quoted as good for a non Haven guest who had some service from her, so that is what I did.

I did tip certain bartenders extra(about $20 each)at bars that I frequent, but that was my choice and not at all required.

All in all,don't stress it too much-take this thread into account, but go by what YOUR experience is and budget will allow:)

Stacey

Melbourne, well that would be me.

$65 for a haircut is ridiculous for a men's cut, $25-35 tops.

I agree with the no envelopes thing. I paid the grats on the last cruise, it was easy.

Cheers from OZ. [emoji2]

Can get one in Sydney for $15 or do what I do, let Mrs Gut do it for free, doesn't take long.

Serious Q...do you guys tip at dinner in specialty restaurants? That's one that I am always a little befuddled by when on the boat. .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's with SDP since I've already paid an 18% gratuity for the plan I don't tip unless the server(s) went out of their way to do something extra.

However, if we are using a Platinum perk for the meal we usually tip $5.

Being from Ireland we don't have a tipping culture like Americans do. Quite simply nobody in Ireland (bar waiting staff) expects tips. As a result I don't know who I should tip and what amount. Can folk make suggestions.

We're just coming to the end of an incredible week in the Getaway which completely exceeded our expectations.

We're in the Haven so that might add to whom we need to tip.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Rob

We are from the UK and as with yourself not really used to tipping. We stayed in the Haven on our May cruise and like yourself it exceeded expectation.

As such, we tipped as follows: -

Room steward an additional $50 for the week

Butler $50

Concierge $50

Pool Valet who was out of this world a star $100

And yes, we left the daily service charge in place.

Some would say it was over the top, but I felt it reflected the truly great service we had received.

M&A

Rob

We are from the UK and as with yourself not really used to tipping. We stayed in the Haven on our May cruise and like yourself it exceeded expectation.

As such, we tipped as follows: -

Room steward an additional $50 for the week

Butler $50

Concierge $50

Pool Valet who was out of this world a star $100

And yes, we left the daily service charge in place.

Some would say it was over the top, but I felt it reflected the truly great service we had received.

M&A

Thank you for getting it! And you made several people's whole week :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums