First Time Cruisers looking to go to Caribbean

Hello cruise critic!

Im looking to go on a cruise this January with my girlfriend. I have spent countless hours researching different cruise lines and I still have not made a decision. I want to go to the caribbean with her and want to have the best possible experience. We are a young couple in our early 20's. We love to have fun and go on adventures. We want to swim with dolphins and go snorkeling. We also want time to relax and rest on the beach. We also like to take pictures, so we are looking for really photogenic islands! Please help me plan the best vacation for her and I!

I'm 28 and have been on Norwegian, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. For our age I would recommend Norwegian or RC. If you can, take a cruise out of San Juan, you'll hit more islands and spend less time at sea so more time for adventures :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How was taking a cruise out of San Juan? Is the port near the airport?

The cruise out of San Juan was awesome! I did it last year and enjoyed it so much that I'm doing a similar one in December. The cruise port is a 15/20 minute drive from the airport. Depending on how long your vacation is, you can stay in San Juan pre or post cruise. There's a ton to explore in SJ - the rainforest, beautiful beaches, etc

Hey guys and welcome to cruising! One you start, you'll never turn back!! We leave from San Juan because you can hit 6 different islands on a 7 night cruise!! We love getting off the ship every day and going to a beautiful beach. We cruise every January (our anniversary) and it's always right around 90 degrees. Perfect weather to escape the cooollllld Missouri winters! Our favorite ship is Adventure of the Seas but all of them are amazing! We are about your age and Royal Caribbean is perfect. Great entertainment and lots of other couples the same age. You will NOT be sorry if you leave from San Juan. It's the Southern route and it's gorgeous. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not a pro but this January will be our 7th and 8th (Back to Back) cruise out of San Juan! :D

Edited by lauraodonnell86

Hey guys and welcome to cruising! One you start, you'll never turn back!! We leave from San Juan because you can hit 6 different islands on a 7 night cruise!! We love getting off the ship every day and going to a beautiful beach. We cruise every January (our anniversary) and it's always right around 90 degrees. Perfect weather to escape the cooollllld Missouri winters! Our favorite ship is Adventure of the Seas but all of them are amazing! We are about your age and Royal Caribbean is perfect. Great entertainment and lots of other couples the same age. You will NOT be sorry if you leave from San Juan. It's the Southern route and it's gorgeous. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not a pro but this January will be our 7th and 8th (Back to Back) cruise out of San Juan! :D

Our anniversary is in January too! I was just nervous about getting to the port from the airport. What are the options for that? I am currently looking for a cruise in January and I cannot choose! Soooooo many options! I think I am going to pick RCCL. My girlfriend is only 20, will she be able to go to the clubs/dancing halls with me? What are some excursions you recommend? What are your favorite islands? Do you recommend any of the itineraries RCCL has offered for January ?

Our anniversary is in January too! I was just nervous about getting to the port from the airport. What are the options for that? I am currently looking for a cruise in January and I cannot choose! Soooooo many options! I think I am going to pick RCCL. My girlfriend is only 20, will she be able to go to the clubs/dancing halls with me? What are some excursions you recommend? What are your favorite islands? Do you recommend any of the itineraries RCCL has offered for January ?

The cab ride from the airport is about 20 mins depending on traffic. We always go in a day early and stay at a hotel because we don't want to take the chance of missing the ship! You can also book a transfer through RCCL and they will take care of you coming in and leaving as well.

The Viking Crown Lounge is used as a dance club at night. I have never been "carded" to get in. The only over 21 place that I know of is Jesters which is going away with the current refurbishment.

There are so many great excursions to do! I think our #1 was in St. Lucia called the Treetop Adventure Park. It was ziplining and it was a BLAST! We also love doing the St. Maarten Beach Bum Combo (http://www.shoreecursioneer.com) and hitting 2 amazing beaches for a really great price. We love all of the islands really but I think Barbados and St. Maarten are our favorites. We also love to snorkel at all of the islands. They all have wonderful areas for that and Royal offers many excursions on their site. You can also go through Viator or the link that I put above for cheaper excursions.

Yes, I would totally recommend all of the itineraries for January! As you can see in my signature, we are going on 2 in January with Royal. We've never visited the ABC islands so we are excited to see those on our 2nd week! Hope this helps you out a little bit! I promise you wont be disappointed! :)

Just FYI, there is the Adventure and the Jewel going out of San Juan in January. Both are wonderful ships. Adventure is a little bigger and Jewel is a little more cozy but still huge! Can't go wrong, just depends on preference.

Edited by lauraodonnell86

There are two reasons for sailing out of San Juan. You have a head start to the warm waters and enjoyable islands of the eastern and southern Caribbean. You also have the chance to spend a day or two in San Juan which is a beautiful old Spanish Colonial city, and, with the exception of the pre-Columbian Mayan ruins you might see on a western Caribbean, is the only really worthwhile historic/cultural thing in the region.

The cab ride from the airport is about 20 mins depending on traffic. We always go in a day early and stay at a hotel because we don't want to take the chance of missing the ship! You can also book a transfer through RCCL and they will take care of you coming in and leaving as well.

The Viking Crown Lounge is used as a dance club at night. I have never been "carded" to get in. The only over 21 place that I know of is Jesters which is going away with the current refurbishment.

There are so many great excursions to do! I think our #1 was in St. Lucia called the Treetop Adventure Park. It was ziplining and it was a BLAST! We also love doing the St. Maarten Beach Bum Combo (http://www.shoreecursioneer.com) and hitting 2 amazing beaches for a really great price. We love all of the islands really but I think Barbados and St. Maarten are our favorites. We also love to snorkel at all of the islands. They all have wonderful areas for that and Royal offers many excursions on their site. You can also go through Viator or the link that I put above for cheaper excursions.

Yes, I would totally recommend all of the itineraries for January! As you can see in my signature, we are going on 2 in January with Royal. We've never visited the ABC islands so we are excited to see those on our 2nd week! Hope this helps you out a little bit! I promise you wont be disappointed! :)

Just FYI, there is the Adventure and the Jewel going out of San Juan in January. Both are wonderful ships. Adventure is a little bigger and Jewel is a little more cozy but still huge! Can't go wrong, just depends on preference.

Is San Juan safe? That is my only hold back in staying there one or two days before the cruise. I want to make sure my girlfriend and I are in a safe and secure place. Do the hotels in San Juan offer transportation to the port? Is their a hotel shuttle waiting for you at the airport to bring you straight to the hotel? Im sorry for all the questions! I have never been on a cruise or farther south than Florida! So I have a lot of questions. Which hotels do you recommend? I want to make sure everything goes smoothly without any problems. Thanks in advance!

You can easily get a taxi to the hotel from the airport and a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port. I usually stay in the Condado area in an AirBnb, there are tons of great options for both AirBnb and hotels. Check out Marriott Stellaris and La Concha for hotels. If you're interfered in an AirBnb let me know and I can give you the ones I stayed in.

• 4 weeks later...

RCL or ccl I think ccl is more fun but less activities onboard I would look at breeze, magic, vista, liberty. if you look at RCL then I would say oasis or freedom class ship. I'm 31 have been cruising for 12 years and have been on 20 some cruises mostly ccl but have been on 2 RCL and next 3 cruises are booked on RCL

For your age group, I would recommend Royal Caribbean, either the Allure or Oasis of the Seas, as there are so many things to do. The itinerary that I prefer for the Caribbean is either an Eastern or Southern Caribbean. I am not as keen on a Western Caribbean (Mexico, Jamaica). The islands are beautiful in the Eastern and Southern Caribbean, like St Martin, St Thomas, Aruba, Barbados, etc.