Flowrider

Rjh8842

Start with the boogie board to get a feel of the dynamics of the flowrider before moving to standup surfing.

There are usually onlookers, but in my own experience they are very encouraging, so don't worry.

The power of the water does have a tendency to pull one's top or bottoms, so wear a tshirt and shorts.

Have fun with it and enjoy your vacation.

My husband took this lesson last week. I watched.

It was 1hr long, 6 people in the class. They each had 3turns on the flowrider.

They had one "teacher". In our opinion while the class was useful for learning some strategies the teacher was not a good teacher. He didn't pre-explain anything and just stood holding the student up and told them what to do (stand straight, push bum out, do this do that) but he never explained why or what it did. He was somewhat annoyed when the students didn't do it well enough or fast enough. Again without having told my husband stick your bum out to move to the left and stand up to move to the right (or what ever the actual moves were) my husband didn't have the info needed to do what was needed effectively. For example, when my husband finally got him bum out how the teacher wanted it he just moved all the way to the other side of the flow rider then got yelled at for not having stood back up to counter the movement to not go all the way to the edge. But again he wasn't told how to do this to know it. We just figured it out after by reflecting.

All that said, my husband did eventually figure out what those steps did to help him stay on the flowrider and got 3 runs on it without as long of a wait as if he didn't pay.

I personally, by watching, confirmed the class was NOT for me. I would not learn under that high pressure method. Others may learn quickly from it and not care but I would have been stressed out.

I would say it depends what you are looking to accomplish, if you just want to ride the Flowrider and try a couple of tricks no lessons are necessary, just get in line watch and learn. It is a lot of fun doing it this way, you can save some money and not have a "scheduled" lesson conflicting with some other on board activity you might enjoy.

• 1 month later...

As a Flowrider enthusiast and one is always trying to learn how to perform a new trick, I find that asking some of the other guests who are really good has been really valuable. In almost every case where I've asked other guest "how they did it" type questions they were more than happy to share all their suggestions.

I looked at the group lessons over the years and talked with others who have done it and found that the success of those sessions often depends on how many students are in the class. The more students, the less time with the instructor which can often result in very few runs. Based on the info I had from other guests I always passed on group, but private seems appealing, but I've not wanted to spend the money.