Is the train a bad idea from Rome to Civitavecchia for embarkation?

theriac

We just wanted to add some positive thoughts to the thread :). Having traveled extensively throughout Europe (and Italy) for over forty years, we have somehow managed to avoid having our pockets picked :). Yes, it can be done by taking a few simple precautions (which should be standard anytime you travel). As to the OPs question about the train to Civitavecchia, one cannot overemphasize the difficulty of using trains...if you cannot easily handle all your own luggage. When I say "handle" it is about being able to move all your luggage at the same time (you do not want to leave anything behind), lifting luggage (by yourself) onto overhead racks, storage racks, and possibly having to get your luggage up and down steps! Otherwise, you may find using trains quite difficult.

Somebody mentioned cable locks, and we have a small cable lock device made for luggage. It is retractable (so its small) and has a steel cable locked by combination lock. Just Google "luggage cable locks" and you will find many similar devices. On trains, when we leave luggage at the end of a car (there are sometimes luggage racks) we cable our pieces together and also lock them to something on the train. This makes it very difficult for a thief to do a "snatch and run" as we enter a station. We have also used this (at times) when we have our luggage locked in a car (we do a lot of driving trips in Europe).

We will again mention that handling your own luggage is a key factor in independent travel. In many places you simply cannot find help and will often be on your own. If you cannot handle your luggage you need to either pack lighter,,,,or find another mode of travel.

Hank

I kept hearing warning after warning about pickpockets in Italy. And scoffed. Then fended one off, as he tried to get my wallet. Then had a team of four or more take my wallet while they went through my wife's backpack, all without us noticing.

Do NOT keep your wallet in your back pocket, and consider splitting your cash and carrying most in a money belt or such. Do NOT accept "help" with your luggage from strangers. Unfortunately you have to be suspicious of everyone, and you should be ok. They didn't get much from us, but it ruined a couple of days, just due to my foul mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got "lost" one time in Venice going from the bus terminus to our hotel. I had carefully mapped out exactly which way to walk. Well, I made a wrong turn and got turned around.

We were going on a 14 day cruise so had two large bags and two roll abouts. What I didn't realize were how many bridges we had to cross which if you have been to Venice you know they aren't flat. It's 110 degrees and my wife is all over me about getting them lost. To the point, we had around ten men at different times offering to help. My wife, being the savvy traveler kept yelling out: " No, no we don't need any help", as she was about to collapse. Well, someone did help us with our bags over three bridges and got us pointed in the right direction.

Another time we were in a souk in Tunisia. Pickpockets were plentiful and skilled. However, being in the security business I knew most of the tricks of the trade.

I'll leave a target wallet (empty) sticking out of my back pocket. Within a few minutes I knew when we were about to get hit. Turned around really fast and screamed at the the top of my lungs some babble. Problem solved.

Later on that morning I got hit by a two man team, one the diversion, the other the grab. As I teach students I immediately grabbed the diversion's wrist and spun him around hard into the grab. Had I turned around and gone for the grab first the diversion would have gone for my wife's bag.

In Nice we saw a group of gypsies attack a woman walking by herself. In second they had her bags and ran in different directions. A cop caught one who started screaming that the victim had attacked her pretty funny.

Tough world out there.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Wow. Great posts on the pickpockets.

We did Italy with a tour group. We were constantly warned about them, and I thought it was at a paranoid level. Then, at one stop, the local guide had warned that there was only "one pickpocket, an old guy...". And sure enough, we met him. He was clumsy and tried to get us off guard, but was unsuccessful. I pushed him away when he tried to get my wallet.

Then we left the group for our final week and traveled alone by train.

In Milan, we left the train, with me rolling both 50 pound bags, and my wife with the carry on bags. It was very cold, and we were wearing out heaviest coats as we went down the escalator at the train station to the subway. Now in the subway we were burning up, carrying all the luggage, trying to spot the right train, we might as well have been wearing a big sign saying "rob ME!!!"

A young girl who reminded me of my daughter said, "let me help you." I didn't need help, but I'd just been mentally cursing the crowd pushing past us, and how rude everyone was, and I was touched and agreed. She stepped on the train with one of our bags. And as I followed, the rest of the group hit. A couple pushed through, pushing my wife to the side, where one unzipped her back pack and went through it quickly. Apparently they didn't want our snacks, though. One did a bump and grab of my wallet. I've I'd even noticed, I would have had to decide between my wallet and my luggage. Because I couldn't have gotten both. I didn't notice. I stepped on the train and was startled when the nice young lady handed me my bag, then stepped OFF the train she had been "waiting for" and stood there smiling. The doors closed and as it pulled away, one guy next to me said, "they just took your wallet."

It contained maybe $300 and more importantly a couple of cards that I immediately cancelled. When I called the second one, they told me that they had JUST rejected an attempted charge, because I hadn't notified them that I was out of the country.

All in all, we were fortunate. Our passports were on our person. Cash was distributed in various places.

If I had it to do over, my back pocket would contain a throw away wallet with $50 or less, usable for small purchases, and a target for the thieves. No cards other than dummy ones to make them think they had something and move on. And I'll try to travel lighter.

The next trip is China this summer. I wouldn't attempt it without a tour group. They are supposed to do most of the bag handling, and I'll be watching out for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I've done both ways. I always have a bit of apprehension using public transport in foreign countries and the only place it hasn't worked out for me perfectly was in China.

While the private transfer was great as it didn't require a walk to the ship, I would take the train next time as I'd rather save the money. It was no issue at all. The only reason I took the private transfer last time is my 1 year old son was with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I read through these posts and folks dealing with bags, I thought I would add a note.

Our last few trips we made this much easier. One roll on bag each. And these are the 20/22" size so they can go on a plane.

Before you INSIST it can not be done, calm down. Folks do it alot. We recently did a 3 week RTW trip. Then a two week cruise. My wife is loving it now.

Okay... we might have a smaller light bag that hangs off one suitecase - need to put our wine and snacks for the train somewhere.

We took the train from termini. Was very straight forward. Got to civi went inside station and on the right is a booth/store to buy ticket to the port shuttle. Went outside the station, bus was waiting (make sure you ask the driver if this is the bus to the port) one bus is comming and one is going. After a very short ride we got on the port shuttle and we had arrived. The train trip was lovely, scenic and stress free. The civi station seemed very small, so a lot less hectic than termini. Give yourselfs a lot of time to get around termini. It is a very busy, huge place, but signs are well displayed. We fortunately only had carry one luggage, so it made it much easier

• 3 weeks later...

Last year we took the train from Termini to Civitavecchia and we offered 'help' by many people. Was travelling with my wife and two daughters. The people offering to 'help' were especially aggressive when going down the platform in Termini to the train. They insisted on validating our tickets before boarding the train, and actually came on the train with us to 'help' us with our luggage despite repeated 'no, thanks'.

We gave them a few euros, but they kept pestering us until one of the local train riders stood up for us and rattled off lots of Italian words to them until they left. This year, we are taking shared or private transport from FCO to Civitavecchia just to avoid the hassle.

The actual train ride wasn't bad, and was only 5 euro each. However, we don't want to have to deal with that again.

Last year we took the train from Termini to Civitavecchia and we offered 'help' by many people. Was travelling with my wife and two daughters. The people offering to 'help' were especially aggressive when going down the platform in Termini to the train. They insisted on validating our tickets before boarding the train, and actually came on the train with us to 'help' us with our luggage despite repeated 'no, thanks'.

We gave them a few euros, but they kept pestering us until one of the local train riders stood up for us and rattled off lots of Italian words to them until they left. This year, we are taking shared or private transport from FCO to Civitavecchia just to avoid the hassle.

The actual train ride wasn't bad, and was only 5 euro each. However, we don't want to have to deal with that again.

These types are annoying but if you are very firm in turning them down from the beginning, they will go and pester someone else.

Termini station instituted a checkpoint beyond which supposedly these people cannot go. I haven't noticed it being as bad in the last year. Maybe it has helped?

At any rate, train travelers should always remember to turn down offers of assistance, even if the person looks semi-official. True Trenitalia personnel are readily identifiable. Anyone else is just trying to hustle you.

We were just at Termini a few weeks ago. No issues at all with "helpers." We rode all local trains... from FCO to Civi with transfer at Roma Trastevere. Then Civi back to Termini. Kept our suitcases with us below by our seats. It was a little more crowded on the way back to Rome but not too bad. But it was January. Things might be different in summer? ?

Those "helpers" were likely thieves just waiting for an opportunity to "help" themselves to your luggage and other valuables. You are fortunate to have survived that experience with all your stuff intact. So here is some very valuable advice....based on nearly forty years of extensive international travel. If somebody offers you "help" you should put yourself on full alert, say "No Grazze' and move on...while protecting all your luggage and valuables.

For anyone wanting to use the train to get to the port...or simply move around Europe...we offer very basic advice. There will likely be nobody (we repeat....nobody) legit who will help you with luggage! There are a few exceptions....but best to assume that anyone is not working in your best interest except a Uniformed Conductor on the train :). If you are not capable of handling your own luggage (and securing it at all times) then consider another form of transportation .

Hank