RCI-Jewel or X-Summit

lastchamp64

I was all set to book a 7 night cruise out of San Juan on the Celebrity Summit in January 2018 with ports in Antiqua, St. Lucia, Antiqua, St. Kitts and St. Thomas. The cabin I would be booking is a concierge cabin and will be using the Go Best promotion which includes Premium Beverage, $150 OBC per person, prepaid tips and Internet for 2. My cabin would be #6135 on deck 6 (can change it though). The cost is $3788

Now I have discovered RCI has the same itinerary in January 2018 on the Jewel of the Sea's. I would be able to book a Grand Suite for about the same price ($3947). I would be on deck 10 and the suite is #1052. This price includes a discounted second person but no other promotions.

So which one would you all suggest based on everything from the cabins, entertainment, food, perks and etc. I know the cabins are much larger on the Jewel than they are on the Summit. My wife is 50 and I am 52. We last cruised over 25 years ago and will be doing our first cruise since then on the NCL Escape this upcoming May.

Let me cloud this even more and mention that I can also book a DCL veranda cabin on the Wonder (we are Disney fans) out of San Juan with stops in Antiqua, St. Lucia, Bonaire and Aruba for $3850. I'm not leaning this way, but it is a thought and I can be persuaded. :)

I appreciate everyone's opinions. I have a 24 hour courtesy hold on each one of these and will book this evening.

Edited by lastchamp64

I've stayed in Concierge Class on Millennium Class (Summit) and Grand Suites on Radiance Class (Jewel). I would take that Jewel Grand Suite in a heartbeat over the Summit cruise. Concierge Class is nothing special...it's just a balcony room with a couple perks that you probably won't even use.

With the GS on Jewel, you will have Concierge Lounge access. You'll drink for free every evening from 5-8:30, and there is a free self-serve cappuccino machine in there that's available 24/7. This will help offset that free beverage package you'd get on Summit....not to mention all the other suite perks you'll receive.

All those bonuses from the Summit look pretty sweet. I honestly would do the Summit. Why? This itinerary is so port intensive, so are you really going to be in your cabin that a lot? I haven't been on Celebrity, but I enjoyed my Alaskan Cruise on the Radiance of the Seas (Jewel's sister). I think you would enjoy the Summit a lot more with those bonuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Wife and I were on the Jewel in Dec 2014 and had the GS for us + 18YO son. We absolutely loved the suite and daily happy-hours in the Concierge Lounge, reserved seats for shows and simple disembarkation. Suite perks were great even without additional offers and the ship itself was wonderful.

Booked the suite because son just spent the fall in a dorm room and did not think it would be a fun vacation for the three of us to be in a standard room.

Wife and I will be on the Summit in December and will have all the current perks in a sky suite (just the two of us this time!) but would not hesitate going back on the Jewel, especially knowing a GS was waiting for us!

We've been on both ships - absolutely love the Jewel (and her sister ship Radiance), but weren't too impressed by the Summit. The central atrium and many areas with lots of glass for sea views make the Radiance Class our favorite in almost 40 years of cruising.

Thanks all for the advice. I ended up going with the Celebrity Summit. I do think from the pictures and the video's the Jewel of the Sea's is a nicer looking ship. But with the "Go Best" incentive which offers the free premium beverage package, $300 OBC, prepaid gratuities and unlimited Internet and the second passenger 1/2 off, I couldn't pass it up. I ended up selecting aft cabin 8172 and a larger balcony.