Suggestion, Costa Maya or Cozumel

lele100

Hi, we are looking at a cruise for March of 2017 on the Carnival Magic. There are two itineraries one that will stay in Costa Maya till 2 pm and Cozumel till 6 pm and the other stays in Costa Maya till 8pm and Cozumel till 3 pm.

My question is it worth staying late in Costa Maya? Are there things to do in the late afternoon/late evening? I know there is in Cozumel I have been there a few times. I was looking for things near the port in Costa Maya, the bars and restaurants are they opened later in the day?

Thanks

Hi, we are looking at a cruise for March of 2017 on the Carnival Magic. There are two itineraries one that will stay in Costa Maya till 2 pm and Cozumel till 6 pm and the other stays in Costa Maya till 8pm and Cozumel till 3 pm.

My question is it worth staying late in Costa Maya? Are there things to do in the late afternoon/late evening? I know there is in Cozumel I have been there a few times. I was looking for things near the port in Costa Maya, the bars and restaurants are they opened later in the day?

Thanks

Personally I would probably prefer to stay later in Cozumel but I think length of stay is equally important, so it rather depends on what time you arrive at each port.

Another consideration at that time of year is which coast you are sailing from and whether you are before, or after, daylight savings.

It may also depend on whether you just plan a beach day in Costa Maya or trip to ruins.

Cozumel, no question. Costa Maya is basically a little port created by the cruise lines, and Cozumel is an actual city.

Costa Maya is indeed a complex created by the cruise lines but there are places to go outside the walls!

Cozumel is actually an island, with San Miguel being the main town. Depending on your cruise line you may arrive in San Miguel, or you may need to taxi (or walk) to it. Again lots of places to go outside the ports, or main town area.

I'll agree with the other posters on Cozumel being the better port. However, I love the malecon and would welcome more time to hang out there. especially to have happy hour at Evan's (Nacional Beach Club hotel) or dinner at Fernandos or Hotel Castillo Blanco.

Thanks

Not much at Costa Maya. IMO

• 2 weeks later...
Costa Maya was built in last 10 years not authentic. Not much to do as Beach's are rocky. Rest are modern businesses. Cozumel, old town and federal parks are much more enjoyable and quaint. Cozumel over Costa Maya.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO X using Forums mobile app

Are you talking about the port complex, or the town area rebuilt since the hurricane?

Are you talking about the port complex, or the town area rebuilt since the hurricane?

No relation to hurricane at all. Costa Maya was built from scratch for cruise ships. So it has modern pier and modern shops avenue/mall. The Maya activity park is similar to the Atlantis complex in Bahamas. Has a new straight highway heading inland to Mayan ruins. Google maps satellite view might help orientate.

No relation to hurricane at all. Costa Maya was built from scratch for cruise ships. So it has modern pier and modern shops avenue/mall. The Maya activity park is similar to the Atlantis complex in Bahamas. Has a new straight highway heading inland to Mayan ruins. Google maps satellite view might help orientate.

I am well acquainted with Costa Maya, having visited both before and after the major hurricane of 2007.

As I suspected, you are referring primarily to the cruise ship port, which was indeed originally purpose-built, a little over 10 years ago and then closed down for a couple of years while it was repaired following the hurricane.

However the original fishing village of Mahuhual pre-existed the port. Following its devastation in 2007 it has been considerably rebuilt and developed - for better, or for worse. If you are interested, Steve from Tropicante has quite an interesting article on his blog regarding the development of the area:

https://ahhhmahahual.com/2014/02/23/a-brief-history-of-mahahualcosta-maya/

I am not disagreeing that Cozumel has much more to offer. Cozumel has developments over a much greater geographical area and it's historical roots span a much greater timeframe. However I think people have to be reminded sometimes that there is life outside the walls of the Costa Maya complex. The water park is a very new addition, only opened in the last 12 months or so.

Edited by c-leg5