Cruising in French Polynesia

RMMariner

We went on our first cruise two years ago. At the time, Princess was cruising in French Polynesia. I always wanted to go there and was quite interested in taking those cruises. I have biked around many of the islands of the Pacific, but we never made it to French Polynesia.

I believe Princess sold the ship that was cruising Polynesia, but they still have another the same size.

Any chance Princess goes back to cruising Tahiti etc?

I know they have cruises that come through for a day or two, from Sydney or LA, but the cruises I am talking about were 10 days out of Tahiti and stayed in Polynesia.

Thanks for answering

We went on our first cruise two years ago. At the time, Princess was cruising in French Polynesia. I always wanted to go there and was quite interested in taking those cruises. I have biked around many of the islands of the Pacific, but we never made it to French Polynesia.

I believe Princess sold the ship that was cruising Polynesia, but they still have another the same size.

I know they have cruises that come through for a day or two, from Sydney or LA, but the cruises I am talking about were 10 days out of Tahiti and stayed in Polynesia.

Thanks for answering

We did this fabulous 10 day cruise back in 2008 on the Tahitian Princess (later renamed Ocean Princess). Airfare to Papeete was reasonable from Australia. I do hope Princess brings this one back.

Thanks for answering

My understanding is that Princess had made a deal to base a ship in Papeete. Most recently that was the Pacific Princess (I think originally when the deal was made the ship was the Tahitian Princess, renamed to Ocean Princess. Which has now been sold). That deal has now expired and Princess nolonger has a ship home ported in Papeete.

I do not think that it was very profitable for Princess to keep a ship there. Probably the reason why it was removed once the deal expired. Considering that the Pacific Princess is the only small ship remaining I don't think you will see another ship based there.

The only thing really available are the larger ships sailing from Australia or the US on long trips. 3000 is really too large of a ship for there. The port resources where pretty tapped out with a 600 person ship.

When we next sail there it will probably be on Oceania.

I, too, had hoped to sail the Tahitian Princess but when we were ready to go, she was gone.

Instead we sailed on the Aranui 3, a freighter cruise. Great experience and if you are willing to try something a bit more adventurous, I highly recommend it.

You can find details about our cruise in my personal blog below.

Click on the Marquesa Islands link in the Index.

Not sure but I think the Paul Gauguin still sails there and another option is Windstar.

The Aranui sound fantastic. I considered going on it many years ago, but we ended up going to the Cook Islands and Fiji instead. I am going to have a look at your blog. Thanks.

Gaugin and Windstar both look nice, but of course the price reflects this.

The last Princess cruises I saw were quite inexpensive. I guess they were not making money on them. Too bad, it looked like a pretty amazing trip.

I thought it would be a perfect way to see the islands and the smaller ship would allow entry to some ports that the big ships cannot get into.

I agree about Windstar and Paul Gauguin

I believe the Aranui 3 is replaced, or shortly being replaced, by the Aranui 5. Her stern looks a lot more like a cruise ship than the Aranui 3.

Would love to give her a try but other places new to us beckon. =sigh=

Another possibility with Princess is the 28 day South Pacific itinerary, r/t Los Angeles, which is offered one or more times a year. It visits the Hawaiian Islands, Western Samoa, American Samoa, Bora Bora and Moorea before cruising back to LA.

A friend and I did this one the first time Princess offered it several years ago, and it was a terrific cruise that I would happily do again if I could.

Another possibility with Princess is the 28 day South Pacific itinerary, r/t Los Angeles, which is offered one or more times a year. It visits the Hawaiian Islands, Western Samoa, American Samoa, Bora Bora and Moorea before cruising back to LA.

A friend and I did this one the first time Princess offered it several years ago, and it was a terrific cruise that I would happily do again if I could.

Wow! That does sound great. Going to have to watch the Princess site to see when this is available again

Those Tahitian/Ocean cruises were great, we did both itinerary's , the Society Islands, and the Marquesa's , one on the Tahitian and one after the refit to the Ocean

I still keep my eye open hoping they'll move the Pacific Princess back there for one more season.

Srpilo

Its now available oct. 2018

Please tell me where you're finding this. I'm in Arizona as well and the Princess web-site I bring up only shows cruises through May of 2018.

I'm very interested as 2017 is a non-cruise / travel year for us as we're expecting a baby

horse.

Wow! That does sound great. Going to have to watch the Princess site to see when this is available again

We are booked on Emerald for the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific next October - departs LA on October 8, 2017. It was the same price as this year's cruise but included the AIBP. For 28 days that's a $3,155.60 perk for the two of us. Our longest cruise to date is 17 days so this one will be a bit of an adventure.

3958b1c9-3742-481d-8892-e217089bc5d4_zps6cxuknym.jpg

Edited by Thrak

We are booked on Emerald for the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific next October - departs LA on October 8, 2017. It was the same price as this year's cruise but included the AIBP. For 28 days that's a $3,155.60 perk for the two of us. Our longest cruise to date is 17 days so this one will be a bit of an adventure.

3958b1c9-3742-481d-8892-e217089bc5d4_zps6cxuknym.jpg

We saw that offer. What a perk!

Unfortunately we don't both retire until mid 2018 so first opportunity for us will be Oct 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We saw that offer. What a perk!

Unfortunately we don't both retire until mid 2018 so first opportunity for us will be Oct 2018.

Forums

Like Thrak, we are also booked on the Oct. 8th, 2017 cruise with the AIBP. It has that fantastic AIBP perk for the two of us also. Not sure what condition we will be in during the cruise but we are going to give it a try! ;) :D

The Oct. 2018 28 day Haw, Samoa & Fr Polynesia cruise however will not be available for booking until Mid-May of 2017! And if things follow true to form, the AIBP should be offered during June - July of 2017. So to be able to get the perk you would need to book early!!!!! :eek:

As for now, we are in suspended animation waiting for Oct. 8, 1017~!

Just Mike

Like Thrak, we are also booked on the Oct. 8th, 2017 cruise with the AIBP. It has that fantastic AIBP perk for the two of us also. Not sure what condition we will be in during the cruise but we are going to give it a try! ;) :D

The Oct. 2018 28 day Haw, Samoa & Fr Polynesia cruise however will not be available for booking until Mid-May of 2017! And if things follow true to form, the AIBP should be offered during June - July of 2017. So to be able to get the perk you would need to book early!!!!! :eek:

As for now, we are in suspended animation waiting for Oct. 8, 1017~!

Just Mike

Yes we had finally thought it would be May 2017 before we got a chance to book.

I bet you can't wait for this fantastic trip to begin! We actually booked our Jan 2017 South America trip some 600 days out and thought it would never come but here we are 75 days to the start of our adventure!

28 days on the all intensive beverage package - Goodness - but someone has to do it! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please tell me where you're finding this. I'm in Arizona as well and the Princess web-site I bring up only shows cruises through May of 2018.

We are booked on the Emerald - 28 Day Hawaii/Tahiti on March 30, 2018. It is round trip out of LA. I don't see an Oct 2018 voyage either.

Edited by LewesBeach

Yes we had finally thought it would be May 2017 before we got a chance to book.

I bet you can't wait for this fantastic trip to begin! We actually booked our Jan 2017 South America trip some 600 days out and thought it would never come but here we are 75 days to the start of our adventure!

28 days on the all intensive beverage package - Goodness - but someone has to do it! Lol

So glad that you are cruising in just 75 days! Relax & Enjoy South America!

My DW says if I get to acting like Foster Brooks (hic) that she will disown me!

Just Mike

We are booked on the Emerald - 28 Day Hawaii/Tahiti on March 30, 2018. It is round trip out of LA. I don't see an Oct 2018 voyage either.

Bernie & George, here's hoping you enjoy the 28 days in March of '18! We will try to leave the islands in good shape!

Just Mike

I believe it was in 2003 when we did Hawaii, French polynesia, Hawaii b2b cruise aboard Dawn Princess. Each leg was 12 nights. After leaving the Hawaiin islands its a 2 day sail to Christmas Island and then 2 more to Bora Bora. Flying to and from Hawaii is much more affordable than flying to Tahiti. I really wish they would bring this cruise back.

I believe it was in 2003 when we did Hawaii, French polynesia, Hawaii b2b cruise aboard Dawn Princess. Each leg was 12 nights. After leaving the Hawaiin islands its a 2 day sail to Christmas Island and then 2 more to Bora Bora. Flying to and from Hawaii is much more affordable than flying to Tahiti. I really wish they would bring this cruise back.

Agreed. Would love to embark from HI and do that itinerary. Princess are you listening??