Caribbean Cruise US Citizen-Birth Certificate ok?

NoName

We travel with passports, however we have invited my sons girlfriend to cruise with us and she doesn't have one. She is a US citizen and we will be on a Western Caribbean cruise. Birth Certificates are still acceptable along with a photo id, correct?

I can't find this on the website.

Thanks for any advice!

Kim

We travel with passports, however we have invited my sons girlfriend to cruise with us and she doesn't have one. She is a US citizen and we will be on a Western Caribbean cruise. Birth Certificates are still acceptable along with a photo id, correct?

Thanks for any advice!

Kim

As long as closed loop. Only issue if she has to go home early or admitted to hosital due to an injury.

I checked my MSC confirmation for an upcoming cruise. The only caveat about a close loop cruise leaving from a US port and visiting ports in the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico and select ports in Central America is that the birth certificate and ID is good only for Central American ports in Belize, Honduras and Panama. Any port stop in any other country in Central or South American requires a passport for all travelers, including those under 16 years of age.

Edited by Homosassa

Thanks for any advice!

Kim

Hi NoName. We can get a passport here in Canada in 72 hours. I'm not sure how long it takes to get one in the US, but I would encourage her (strongly) to get one. A previous poster makes a Valid point about the difficulties she will have flying home from a foreign port in the event of an emergency.

Having said that, I've seen many Americans board closed loop cruises with just a birth certificate.

I've read that 75% of Americans do not have passports. That is mind boggling to me, but then I'm a big traveler. To each their own.

Enjoy your cruise!

HTP

I checked my MSC confirmation for an upcoming cruise. The only caveat about a close loop cruise leaving from a US port and visiting ports in the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico and select ports in Central America is that the birth certificate and ID is good only for Central American ports in Belize, Honduras and Panama. Any port stop in any other country in Central or South American requires a passport for all travelers, including those under 16 years of age.

We are going on the Divina on 12/6/2016. The first stop is in Columbia which is in South America. I have spoken to my travel agent and 3 different MSC agents and they have all told me that we don't need a passport for Columbia because it is a closed loop cruise. The said all we need is an original birth certificate and a photo ID. Sure hope this true!!

We are going on the Divina on 12/6/2016. The first stop is in Columbia which is in South America. I have spoken to my travel agent and 3 different MSC agents and they have all told me that we don't need a passport for Columbia because it is a closed loop cruise. The said all we need is an original birth certificate and a photo ID. Sure hope this true!!

They are wrong. I have been on cruises that stopped in Colombia and we definitely needed a passport for the cruise. Colombia requires a US citizen to have a valid US passport to enter and leave the country.

I am not doubting you. I called MSC again this afternoon and I was again told I only needed a birth certificate and a photo ID. I will be calling tomorrow to the state department. After all the times I have called MSC and my travel agent, if my husband and I can't board the ship on December 6th, I better get my money back. I asked about a passport when I booked this cruise and again was told a birth certificate and photo ID was acceptable. Are we still able to go on the rest of the cruise if I find out we need a passport for Colombia? I truly don't care about that port, I will stay on the ship.

I am not doubting you. I called MSC again this afternoon and I was again told I only needed a birth certificate and a photo ID. I will be calling tomorrow to the state department. After all the times I have called MSC and my travel agent, if my husband and I can't board the ship on December 6th, I better get my money back. I asked about a passport when I booked this cruise and again was told a birth certificate and photo ID was acceptable. Are we still able to go on the rest of the cruise if I find out we need a passport for Colombia? I truly don't care about that port, I will stay on the ship.

I would ensure you have this in an email from MSC rather than just a telephone call, you can then show this at check in.

Some ports do allow the 'I'm staying on the ship, no need for ID' but these tend to be the ones which have immigration at the port. I am pretty sure that Colombia is a pre-cleared port and thus you just require your ship card to get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi NoName. We can get a passport here in Canada in 72 hours. I'm not sure how long it takes to get one in the US, but I would encourage her (strongly) to get one. A previous poster makes a Valid point about the difficulties she will have flying home from a foreign port in the event of an emergency.

Having said that, I've seen many Americans board closed loop cruises with just a birth certificate.

I've read that 75% of Americans do not have passports. That is mind boggling to me, but then I'm a big traveler. To each their own.

Enjoy your cruise!

HTP

I never could understand why it's such a big deal to Americans to get passport. :rolleyes:

I never could understand why it's such a big deal to Americans to get passport. :rolleyes:

Bonny,

From what I've learned, there are a number of causes. The US is fortunate to have a year round warm climate in many areas (FL, CA, AZ) that cater to recreational activities. So it isn't necessary to leave the country to warm up in winter like us here in the frozen north.

For some jurisdictions, Mexico for example, a passport is not required for US citizens traveling by land or sea. There are many millions of citizens living within driving distance to Mexico.

Also, there are a lot of people in the US compared to Canada (300,000,000+ vs 35,000,000) so even if the percentages of passport holders in each country were equal (which they are not) there would still be tens of millions of un-passported Americans.

Lastly, and this may be where I get some blowback from my US friends, Americans seem to have a more introspective view of travel. Which, to paraphrase Mike Myers, is to say, "If it's not American, it's cra-a-ap! :D Americans don't seem to share, to the same degree as other cultures, as great a curiousity about foreign cultures and traveling experiences as other cultures. Clearly, many tens of millions of American delight in world travel, but I believe the overall percentage of Americans with this desire is lower than many other developed countries.

That said, we are blessed to share the longest undefended border in the world with neighbors who are, for the most part, kind and generous individuals.

Safe travels!

HTP

:cool:

I spoke to a supervisor today that explained to me that the December 6, 2016 cruise is a Southern Caribbean cruise not a South American cruise. Being classified as such, I will not need to a passport to get off of the ship. However, if I chose to do excursions on my own or with a third party company, I will not be covered under the same rules in Colombia. I would have to have the appropriate documentation required by the laws in Colombia.

As far as why I never obtained a passport, why would I have one? I have never left the country except on closed loop cruises. The first question I asked last December when I called about this cruise was do I need a passport. I was told no. If I would have needed one, I would have chosen a different itinerary. I don"t care where I go, as long as I have an ocean surrounding me and a drink in my hand.

This is the email I received earlier from the US Customs and Border Protection:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.

You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.

I'm American and don't understand why more Americans don't have passports, I'm on my third. We ALWAYS traveled and I thank my parents for making travel and seeing how others live an important part of our lives.

HardToPort you are exactly right I know many Americans who do not travel outside of the US, I know people who don't leave their state!!! I personally don't get it and I encourage my friends to get passports and travel to expand their horizons. At least if they traveled I might believe them when they claim the US is so great... they'll have other places to compare it to.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Edited by Crzyfrk62

Bonny,

From what I've learned, there are a number of causes. The US is fortunate to have a year round warm climate in many areas (FL, CA, AZ) that cater to recreational activities. So it isn't necessary to leave the country to warm up in winter like us here in the frozen north.

For some jurisdictions, Mexico for example, a passport is not required for US citizens traveling by land or sea. There are many millions of citizens living within driving distance to Mexico.

Also, there are a lot of people in the US compared to Canada (300,000,000+ vs 35,000,000) so even if the percentages of passport holders in each country were equal (which they are not) there would still be tens of millions of un-passported Americans.

Lastly, and this may be where I get some blowback from my US friends, Americans seem to have a more introspective view of travel. Which, to paraphrase Mike Myers, is to say, "If it's not American, it's cra-a-ap! :D Americans don't seem to share, to the same degree as other cultures, as great a curiousity about foreign cultures and traveling experiences as other cultures. Clearly, many tens of millions of American delight in world travel, but I believe the overall percentage of Americans with this desire is lower than many other developed countries.

That said, we are blessed to share the longest undefended border in the world with neighbors who are, for the most part, kind and generous individuals.

Safe travels!

HTP

:cool:

I agree with all that but I can see lots of post here about "should I have one or should't I have one" . Is in it better to have one and not to worry? How much passport could cost after all :rolleyes:

NoName

Why doesn't the gf just get a passport anyway? After this first cruise she may find that she wants to travel even more. At the end of the day, travel is excellent education and it's great to experience different cultures.

For the person who doesn't want to get off the ship in Colombia, it will be your loss. I find Cartagena one of the most interesting port's of call in the Caribbean.

This is the email I received earlier from the US Customs and Border Protection:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.

You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.

Please note that all the responses you are receiving are about entering the USA. None are information about the requirements of Colombia and clearly state to confirm the requirements for the foreign countries you will be visiting.

By the way, the cruises I took that had Colombia as a port stop were called "Southern Caribbean" or "Partial Transit of the Panama Canal." Both required a passport because of the stop in Colombia.

However, good luck and, hopefully, there will be no issues boarding the ship.

I agree with all that but I can see lots of post here about "should I have one or should't I have one" . Is in it better to have one and not to worry? How much passport could cost after all :rolleyes:

With all due respect and without going into too much personal information, I could pay for a passport many times over! My husband has an extremely vindictive ex wife that keeps hauling him into court for more child support. He already supports his child and pays a boatload every week but owes back payments that come out of his paycheck every week. Due to that reason, the Department of Revenue will not allow him to have a passport. Once the arrearages are paid, we can get him a passport. So, to answer your question of "how much could a passport cost after all?" It could be free or a million dollars and my husband still would not be issued one.

NoName

Why doesn't the gf just get a passport anyway? After this first cruise she may find that she wants to travel even more. At the end of the day, travel is excellent education and it's great to experience different cultures.

When you work at McDonalds, a passport is very expensive.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that is still interested about whether you can board a cruise use ship in Miami that goes to Colombia with a birth certificate and drivers license and no passport, you can. My husband and I just went through the entire check in process and were given our room keys. We are waiting now to get on the ship!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums