India. How to dress whilst ashore

Tabbycat37

Hi, we are off cruising to India in December and whilst I am aware women need to cover shoulders and knees whilst visiting religious venues, I am wondering about the dress code whilst out and about. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Anything goes. But wear closed shoes because streets are really dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything goes. But wear closed shoes because streets are really dirty.

Not so, even though India is one of the hottest countries in the World, it is very conservative regarding dress. If you visit any Hindu temples or go into any Mosques, you will be denied entry, male and female unless your knees are covered (no shorts). One temple we had on the tour objected to my Wife's 3/4 length slacks and she had to wear a long shawl.

If you don't want to visit such places, even walking down the street in shorts will draw the attention of the locals.

I agree, especially for women modesty is preferred. Linen pants and shirts would be ideal for both sexes. Women could wear a longer dress that might be cooler. While lighter colours are cooler they will be stained black by the end of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was responding to the question posed , which acknowledged the need for modest clothing in religious institutions, but asked about walking around. I, as a woman with other female companions, had no problem in long shorts and t-shirts baring knees and shoulders. And no problem gaining access to Jain Temple and Jewish synagogues; just wrapped myself in my sarong. Not sure if we draw attention of locals because of our dress or simply because we're tourists so that never bothers me.

Loose, cool clothing is best. I wore hi-tech travel pants (which wick away any sweat) with a cotton short sleeved tshirt. I carried a lightweight wide scarf in my handbag for use at some temples. Not all require your head to be covered.

Also for most temples, and the Taj Mahal, you are expected to remove your shoes. Some allow you to still wear socks which, on a very hot day, can prevent the soles of your feet from getting burnt on the hot ground if the temple has open air sections.

On the tour we did there was one woman who always dressed in skimpy clothing - usually short sleeveless dresses. At some of the places we stopped we noticed the local men laughing and looking at her in a manner that I would have felt most uncomfortable with had it been directed at me. She seemed oblivious to the looks and never modified her dress unless requested to by our guides who, luckily, provided sarongs and scarves that she could use to cover up at temples.