Liberty issue 10/31 sailing

Razor_Poke

I'm so ticked off right now I can't see straight. I know stuff happens and they don't need to put a ship out in the middle of the ocean that might get stranded.

It's just that this was a honeymoon. They picked it out. I don't even know what to tell them to do now. Hang out in Galveston, or Houston? Drive up to SA, Austin or Dallas?

Just no words.... unbelievable.

sorry for the venting.

I love San Antonio and there's tons to do there. Also, maybe a day trip to Corpus Christi...the weather is still supposed to be in the 80's this week, so Padre Island should be nice.

I'm so ticked off right now I can't see straight. I know stuff happens and they don't need to put a ship out in the middle of the ocean that might get stranded.

It's just that this was a honeymoon. They picked it out. I don't even know what to tell them to do now. Hang out in Galveston, or Houston? Drive up to SA, Austin or Dallas?

Just no words.... unbelievable.

sorry for the venting.

Go down to South Padre Island find a motel and hang out on that beach?

I can certainly understand people's disappointment and anger at the cancelation. Not sure how I would have reacted in this situation. I'll be curious to hear what Carnival will be offering for compensation for these cruisers...

Sent from my Galaxy 4

John Heald · 0:00 So many of you have been asking about the Liberty and I had originally been informed she was sailing today. But the technical problem has resulted in us canceling today's cruise

Every guest on the ship has. Even informed and of course our wonderful staff are making sure that they are all taken care of

I know lots of the people in the ship read this page and therefore I wanted to apologise myself for the disappointment you are all feeling

Here is part of the information guests have. Even given

"We will provide you with a full refund of your cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. Additionally, a check for $90 per person will be mailed to your home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for your meals yesterday.

Guests who wish to disembark this morning and do not need any assistance with their luggage, may proceed to the gangway as early as 10AM. Shuttles to private parking facilities will commence at that time while transportation to the port parking lot will be available as of 11AM. Porter service will commence at 10am for those guests who need assistance with their luggage. If you have independent air arrangements and need assistance rescheduling your flights, please contact Guest Services. We will cover any change fees you may incur. A letter with additional information will be delivered to your stateroom this morning. In the meantime, thank you once again for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard soon."

I will let you know asap about future Liberty cruises.

Thanks so much

Unfortunately, the Galveston webcam isn't pointed at the stern enough to see what if anything is going on there. Cancelling the cruise completely sounds like either they are having trouble renewing the seal on the propeller shaft (very common to pick up "long lines" from deep sea fishermen and get them wrapped around the shaft damaging the seal) or the shaft bearing needs replacement. Both of these can normally be done in a couple of days, and with the short itinerary already in place, I guess they decided to cancel. I will follow to see what if any further announcements or cancellations are forthcoming.

OP - it stinks that their honeymoon plans were altered. The good news is they still get to make the most of a bad situation and find another adventure together. And the really good news is their 1st Anniversary trip is paid for with the free cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And so it begins... the building of a honeymoon on the fly :D

They want to stay tonight in Galveston so I've booked them a nice place with a beach view. They will point their car home tomorrow but stop in Austin for 3 nights.

At least they're making memories.:)

And so it begins... the building of a honeymoon on the fly :D

They want to stay tonight in Galveston so I've booked them a nice place with a beach view. They will point their car home tomorrow but stop in Austin for 3 nights.

At least they're making memories.:)

Great attitude! Good start to a marriage too.....learn how roll with the punches and deal with adversity together.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Found on John Heald's page this morning. I'm concerned - we're on the 11/19 sailing. :(

John Heald - So many of you have been asking about the Liberty and I had originally been informed she was sailing today. But the technical problem has resulted in us canceling today's cruise

Every guest on the ship has. Even informed and of course our wonderful staff are making sure that they are all taken care of

I know lots of the people in the ship read this page and therefore I wanted to apologise myself for the disappointment you are all feeling

Here is part of the information guests have. Even given

"We will provide you with a full refund of your cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. Additionally, a check for $90 per person will be mailed to your home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for your meals yesterday.

Guests who wish to disembark this morning and do not need any assistance with their luggage, may proceed to the gangway as early as 10AM. Shuttles to private parking facilities will commence at that time while transportation to the port parking lot will be available as of 11AM. Porter service will commence at 10am for those guests who need assistance with their luggage. If you have independent air arrangements and need assistance rescheduling your flights, please contact Guest Services. We will cover any change fees you may incur. A letter with additional information will be delivered to your stateroom this morning. In the meantime, thank you once again for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard soon."

I will let you know asap about future Liberty cruises.

Thanks so much

Apparently, the problem appears to be with one of the alternators that the diesel engines drive that generate power. This can become a large can of worms, and may require some time to schedule parts and service technicians. I don't think future cruises will be cancelled, but expect some more itinerary changes in the next month.

Apparently, the problem appears to be with one of the alternators that the diesel engines drive that generate power. This can become a large can of worms, and may require some time to schedule parts and service technicians. I don't think future cruises will be cancelled, but expect some more itinerary changes in the next month.

Do you think our cruise on Saturday will still happen with what you know about these repairs? It's been reported the Coast Guard won't allow them to sail until the issues are resolved.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was watching the Galveston cruise cam and they've conveniently put the aft toward the camera. There is no oil boom in the water, so does that lean toward the shaft seals still being good?

I was watching the Galveston cruise cam and they've conveniently put the aft toward the camera. There is no oil boom in the water, so does that lean toward the shaft seals still being good?

Yes, it does. The CC article says that Carnival states the problem is with one alternator, though the unequal wakes last trip means there probably were two problems. Actually, shaft seals would be an easier fix than either an alternator or a propulsion motor. I believe she is scheduled for shipyard next month, so any prolonged problems will only require itinerary changes until then.

Yes, it does. The CC article says that Carnival states the problem is with one alternator, though the unequal wakes last trip means there probably were two problems. Actually, shaft seals would be an easier fix than either an alternator or a propulsion motor. I believe she is scheduled for shipyard next month, so any prolonged problems will only require itinerary changes until then.

Hi sir! I'm scheduled to cruise Saturday on the Liberty. There are a few people on this cruise who are worried about the safety of this cruise if propulsion isn't resolved. I respect your opinion greatly and was wondering if you saw any problems cruising less than full speed. Any problems if we encountered a storm, ect? Thank you!!

Edited by Rebeccar8612

Hi sir! I'm scheduled to cruise Saturday on the Liberty. There are a few people on this cruise who are worried about the safety of this cruise if propulsion isn't resolved. I respect your opinion greatly and was wondering if you saw any problems cruising less than full speed. Any problems if we encountered a storm, ect? Thank you!!

If the ship got close enough to a storm where the difference between maybe 16-18 knots and 22 knots was important, then the ship should not have been there in the first place. Saying that, if the ship is caught by a storm, even at reduced power she should perform fine. Safety really isn't an issue with this kind of a problem. This really isn't a propulsion problem, it is a problem of the total amount of power the engines can generate. As long as the propellers keep turning, the ship will be fine. Lets face it, 98% of the world's shipping cannot make 18 knots, let alone 22 knots, and they are fine, even in storms.

Edited by chengkp75

Has anyone heard any news on the liberty? We are sailing on the Nov 10th cruise which they are now taking us to Progresso rather than Cozumel...which i chose the 4 day cruise to bypass Progresso since we do not even get off the boat at that port any more.....now we are stuck going there but the cruise that leaves Nov 5th gets to go to Cozumel. Carnival told me we had to skip cozumel because the boat needs tugged into port....so why does the cruise before us get to go if that is the reason?

I am thinking...to be fair to the ports they alternate. Ugh....I wish I knew what was going on....they don't tell us anything until last minute!

I could be wrong but I think it's because the cruise on the 10th is a for day and since part of the problem won't be fixed, y'all won't have enough time with slower speed to go to Cozumel. That's my understanding anyways. But yes I agree updates would be really nice!!!!!

Has anyone heard any news on the liberty? We are sailing on the Nov 10th cruise which they are now taking us to Progresso rather than Cozumel...which i chose the 4 day cruise to bypass Progresso since we do not even get off the boat at that port any more.....now we are stuck going there but the cruise that leaves Nov 5th gets to go to Cozumel. Carnival told me we had to skip cozumel because the boat needs tugged into port....so why does the cruise before us get to go if that is the reason?

I am thinking...to be fair to the ports they alternate. Ugh....I wish I knew what was going on....they don't tell us anything until last minute!

I think the answer you got from Carnival is from someone who doesn't know that the previous problem with Liberty's bow thrusters has been fixed. That is what requires the tugs, not the present alternator problem.

So they have fixed the bow thruster? Now just waiting for the alternator to get fixed?

I guess if the Nov 5th cruise is still on I should assume the Nov 10 one is too. If they fixed bow thrusters and fix the alternator...I wonder if they will still force us to go to nasty progresso.

I hope not.

So they have fixed the bow thruster? Now just waiting for the alternator to get fixed?

I guess if the Nov 5th cruise is still on I should assume the Nov 10 one is too. If they fixed bow thrusters and fix the alternator...I wonder if they will still force us to go to nasty progresso.

I hope not.

The bow thruster problem was several months ago.