Kids

bestis

When our kids r at the kids clubs 8 year old and 13 year old). How is communication done with parents? I worry about my kids wanting to leave the clubs go whatever reason. How would I l ow this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They give you a phone and call you.

Not exactly sure how Carnival handles this but last year on RCCL, our 11 year old was able to sign himself and his 8 year old brother out. With our prior permission, of course.

Worked well for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It may vary by ship but my experience has been only the youngest group gets a phone. Last summer DG was only 3 and her parents were provided a phone. When she was too young to go to camp but her brother was there (age 10 at that time) his parents were not provided a phone.

Regarding signing out. The little ones must be pick up by a designated person (must be over 18 so older siblings can't sign them out) In the 9-11 year old group, parents can give the child permission to sign themselves out or not. After 12 they can sign themselves in and out.

We have not received a phone from Camp Carnival since our son moved to the 6-8 group. I suppose you could request one but I think they use the phones for parents with smaller children. Children of a certain age are allowed to sign themselves out with parent's permission. If you don't give permission, the kids stay at camp until you pick them up.

Ok sorry just saw about giving us a phone. Thanks

Not for those ages they don't; the phone is only for 2-5 yo.

The 13 year old does not require, nor could you impose if you wanted to a sign in/out; they come and go as they please. It is important that they go to the meet and greet the first night and they will make friends. They will also get their schedules so it is easy each morning to talk about where you will be when.

If both kids have a phone, and if your ship has the HUB app, you could pay $5 per phone to text; but on the Sunshine a couple of weeks ago it was not reliable.

If the 8 year old does not have a phone, again, it's about making choices. Look over the activities for the day and arrange pick up times around those. We survived for 7 years cruising that way until our baby was 9 and old enough for sign in/out. At 9-11, parents can give them that option. And his choices were either 1) camp, 2)his room or 3) with us or at a location known to us- he was not allowed to wander the ship with friends, though he often made plans to meet other kids to swim etc. The consequences for failure to follow the rules was grounding to the room for the night.

Neither child, now 18 and 12 has put a toe out of line. They like cruising and the limited freedom too much. We have passed both of them often on the ship (without them knowing and have never seen them misbehave), or they will come find us if they need something at our regular haunts (our balcony, Alchemy, walking the promenade etc).

Can't speak about the younger one, but for the 13 year old, they will be in Circle C. My son has done that the past 2 cruises and loves it. They don't need to be signed in/out by parents, they can just show up when it's open. You need to communicate with your child what you expect from them. We've never had any problems, our son would usually pop by the room on occasion (like sea days, when he could be gone all day) and he always has times to be back. Like for dinner, be back by 4 p.m. or something like that. And same with the late night hours. Sometimes he could stay until they closed at midnight, but other nights, we wanted him back at 11. He's pretty good about doing what is expected.

I would just be sure to let your 13 year old know what is expected of the right from the beginning. And I agree about going on that first night. You have to fill out the paperwork anyway, and it's a great way for them to meet kids who will be there all week.

You've been given great advice so far, including that phones are FCFS for the youngest kids. On ships we have been on, my kids have been allowed to use the phone to call our cabin and leave a message. Once we had a few days of very rough seas and our daughter was feeling queasy. The staff tracked us down by calling our cabin and the cabins of our sailing companions until we were located. Generally we look over the schedule together and set a drop and pickup time according to thier interests and our own plans. We rarely veer from this because we plan it carefully and then stick with it even if it turns out that it's not perfect.

Thank you everyone! Both my kids have phones. Is the hub app the only way of communicating with each other? We will be on the Dream out of New Orleans.

We were just on the Dream a couple weeks ago and it did not have the Hub app. That is only on some ships, and unfortunately, the Dream isn't one of them.

What we did with our kids (ages 10 and 12) was sign up for the social media package ($5 per day or $30 for the whole week). It lets you use the ships wifi, but only for certain apps - like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. We would send each other messages with those so that we knew where everyone was. It wasn't perfect, but it worked well enough.