Live from Independence Transatlantic Oct 30th

phbr

We're just 3 days into the 15 night sailing. Will be passing the Azores later tonight, then hopefully we will see the sun tomorrow. it's been mostly windy and cold up to now, grey sky's and 3 to 4 metres seas. Decks are relatively empty except for those braving the walking track and its a bit surreal to see Lifeguards on duty when there is no one in the pools.

Check in at Southampton was excellent. Taxi to ship in less than 20 minutes.

The ship is totally full. the CD read out the leading nationalities at the Welcome Show... 2800 passengers from the U.K., 400 from the USA.

Because of the weather, the Royal Promenade is particularly busy all day. Especially Halloween night when there was a really enjoyable parade of Ghosts and Ghoulies.

We are first dining and have really excellent table mates. The food so far is very good.

Entertainment . Some people didn't really understand the British comedian on the first night, and there was a pretty good singer doing Motown, Bruce Parker the second night. last night was a song/ dance show. Haven't really seen many of the bands/singers yet. the Ship Orchestra is excellent though. The Ice Show was today. Will go to the next one

The ship is 8 years old and while generally in good shape, there are some signs of wear and tear, which is only to be expected. she is due some refitting next year.

A small matter I know, but the TV service is the poorest I have seen on any ship. A lot of Polish channels, and very little else.

More later

Just so ymou know you have a competing live thread by someone else on the ship. Also, why is you avatar pic upside down? :confused:

Seeing as the internet is pretty quick, I thought there might be more threads from this sailings, and I haven't a clue why the avatar is the way it is

There does seem to have been a reduction in the number of MDR staff - our waiter is great, but he seems to be run ragged and it's definitely harder to attract attention for example to ask for more water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There does seem to have been a reduction in the number of MDR staff - our waiter is great, but he seems to be run ragged and it's definitely harder to attract attention for example to ask for more water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems crew cutbacks have been noticeable in some ships as well.