Juneau Whale Watching

brittmama

I am going back to Alaska this May. Going on Holland America Oosterdam. Should I buy whale watching with the cruise line or use a vendor once we get into port? Any advise about this. DH and I want the best experience seeing whales. What are your thoughts I would really appreciate it.

I am going back to Alaska this May. Going on Holland America Oosterdam. Should I buy whale watching with the cruise line or use a vendor once we get into port? Any advise about this. DH and I want the best experience seeing whales. What are your thoughts I would really appreciate it.

Many people here book in advance with private companies. (So they can be on a smaller boat with fewer people.)

Based on what I have read/see in videos & photos, it is really random how the tours work out.

For example, I've seen photos where you can see a small boat really close to the whale. (There are regulations on how close the boat can get, but the whales don't have to abide by those rules.) I've also seen big boats with a whale really close.

As far as best experience goes, you need to be ready to just see dorsal fins. (I've read some reviews where this was a major upset for the participants, but it is a definite possibility.) Don't expect the national geographic experience from any of the options available.

(This experience should be renamed whale waiting rather than whale watching...)

I would try and book a SMALL independent tour...especially if you hope to do much photographing. Here is a photo of my husband on our Harv & Marv whale watch tour (with only 6 people.)

IMG_1534.JPG

And this photo is what it looks like on one of the larger tour boats. As you can see, we are both close to the whale...but I'll bet the folks in the big boat didn't get a very good photo!

IMG_1821.JPG

The small tours fill up fast so I would be booking ASAP for next May.

Boats can only go so close to the whales. If the boats are stopped, the whales can come closer to the boats, if they choose.

So it doesn't matter if you are in a small or larger boat - the boat can only navigate so close to a whale that they see.

Sorry - I don't remember the distance.

We just booked Harv and Marv for next September. It will be our first time in Alaska and we decided that we wanted to be the only ones on the boat. They currently have a 10%off discount running which put it cheaper for us per person than what we could book through the ship anyways (there are 6 of us)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums