Best Flying Fish Sandwich

BornToBeABeachBum

Hi, bighairtexan, thanks for joining us!

I wish that I had an answer for you, but I don't cruise out of the island anymore. We fly in and out of GA airport where we keep a house near Holetown. My son keeps it inhabitated in the summer (NA summer) and we stay there is the NA winters, so I am unable to offer a name for you.

There are many rum shops that offer stellar FF cutters very near Deep Water Harbour.

The taxi drivers and the locals always know where to get them.

If someone knows of this place, please come forward so we can all enjoy. :):):)

• 1 month later...
Here is a greatly circulated receipe from The Waterfront Cafe in Bridgetown that they gladly give out for the asking.

I believe my wife's is a little different, but similar.

When you're on the island, bring home the spices and you won't have to go to all of the trouble of making them....you'll just have to embellish to you own taste.

Barbados Flying Fish Recipe

(As the recipe mentions, this method can be used with any meaty fish . . . so enjoy!)

This recipe serves 6

4 Large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into long thin strips

Cold water

12 flying fish, filleted (can substitute cod or any other meaty fish)

Juice of 5 limes

Salted water

Oil for frying

Bajan Fish Seasoning

6 scallions

1 clove garlic

1 teaspoon chopped hot pepper

2 tablespoons chopped celery

1 tablespoon dried marjoram

1/2 tablespoon dried thyme

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

Fish Batter

2 eggs

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 cup milk

1 cup water

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Breadcrumbs Mix

2 cups dry breadcrumbs

2 cups all purpose flour

Pinch (1/16 teaspoon) salt

Set potatoes in a bowl, cover with cold water, and let soak 30 minutes. Drain well and pat dry. Soak fillets in lime juice and salted water for 5 minutes. Rinse fish with fresh water and pat dry.

While the fish is soaking, make Bajan Fish Seasoning: Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse on and off until finely minced - about 30 to 45 seconds.

Rub an ample amount of seasoning into the fish. Refrigerate any leftover seasoning in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Stir together ingredients for fish batter in a shallow mixing bowl. Combine ingredients for breadcrumbs mix on a shallow platter. Dip each seasoned fillet into the batter, then cover with the breadcrumbs mix.

Pour oil into a heavy skillet to the depth of 1 inch and heat. Fry fillets about 5 minutes, turning once while cooking, until crispy and golden brown.

In a second heavy skillet, pour oil to the depth of 3 inches and heat. Fry potatoes in 3 to 4 batches, about 2 minutes each, until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels.

Serve fish with chips.

If you try it, let us know how yours came out.

Good Luck! :):):)

Finally, was able to give it a try and was a bit "basterdized" but wonderful! :p

As discussed, I used fresh (never frozen) pond raised catfish. Don't laugh ... but the bread used was lightly toasted hot dog buns which are totally without taste.

It came close and gave us a FIX until we can get back to Barbados in January 2013. Might need another FIX before then.:D

Yum- Yum! Thanks so very much for the recipe! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer the flying fish fingers as opposed to sandwiches. Give me fish over bread any day!

I liked the flying fish fingers at the restaurant at Brandon Beach. I posted a picture on pinterest. I like my fried fish with a bit of crispness - not soggy which means they didn't wait for the oil to get hot before they fried them. The fish fingers at Brandon beach were perfect to my taste.

That recipe seems like too much work for fried fish. Somebody in Barbados needs to develop a "flying fish seasoning mix" that you can take home. I think it's the seasonings and coating that make it good. The fish doesn't have a distinctive taste, so a mix would work well with any mild fish, IMO.

• 2 years later...

Hey Barbados, I too have spent some time on that lovely island and have eaten my share of FF. The recipe you post is pretty good but Bajans often soak their FF in lime juice, not for long mind you because the acidity will 'cook' the fish, but just for about 3 to 5 minutes BEFORE applying the batter or bread crumbs.

Banks Beer is ALWAYS the drink of choice to wash down those fantastic fish fillets. Oh and Bajans also call them 'Flat Fish'

Cheers

• 4 months later...
Just read that Cuz fish stand off rt 7 near needhams point is supposed to be outstanding- any truth to this? It was in a list of 100 places in the world to eat.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I went out of my way to eat here on my last visit to the island and I can't even begin to tell you how outstanding the sandwich was. Absolutely one of the best thing's I've ever put into my mouth and it is cooked up fresh while you order. However, Cuz's typically serve's marlin, not flying fish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just came from Barbados two days ago. Had the best "cutters" at the BOATYARD that was my first time trying them and they were absolutely delish!!! The fish cakes were good as well.

While we are at it...i tried the PIRATE'S PUNCH (which is the Boatyard's spin on the rum punch) absolutely delightful...and it was free!!!! Can't beat that:)