Live from the Spirit: Barcelona to Bridgetown - Nov. 5

NJBelle

After each cruise we find that a couple or so small bottles of the shampoo have found their way into our cases.

Every so often one comes with me into the shower and the smell of the shampoo evokes such wonderful memories. Not often that a windswept Lincolnshire can be transformed momentarily into a South Pacific odyssey; that's the evocative power of smell, I guess.

I have the same mysterious problem as you but with body lotion and I absolutely swear that when I put some under my nose at night I dream of being on board.

I am going to barcelona Feb 2 on spirit any tips on the city?

Yes!! Barcelona is a wonderful city, full of grand sights and monuments, as well as intimate shops and tapas cafés. If you only have one day, I recommend the HoHo bus for a panoramic view of all you will miss if you don't return. Most people from cruises walk Las Ramblas, and I urge you to stroll the tiny streets on the right hand side of the avenue, which comprise Barrio Gotic and El Born. El Born is hip, especially at night. If you can, the Sagrada Familia Basílica by Gaudí is a must see, but will take you several hours. If staying in Barcelona, I recommend Hotel Colón, right in front of the Cathedral (not the Basílica) in Barrio Gotic. There's always music and lots of people in the esplanade in front of the Cathedral and it's a lot of fun. Hope this helps.

Brightside Tours in Barcelona was recommended to us by a Cruise Critic poster in July and it was fantastic. You do the city tour on a wonderfully characterful motorbike and sidecar. You're connected to the driver by two way radios and get to see Barcelona in depth. No worries about traffic jams and no worries about parking, our brilliant guide just left the bike right outside any sights, very convenient. They were great to deal with too from a distance, look them up, it really turned out to be a highlight.

since it's my favorite city anywhere ! Food, food & more food (and wine, of course.) We particularly enjoyed the Devour Barcelona walking food tour in the Gracia district - small, off the tourist map places of local favorites. Is it a port stop or are you beginning or ending a cruise there with extra days? If you only have the 1 day and have never been before, then the HOHO is a great option & they pick up/drop off right at the port. You'll enjoy it so much that you'll want to go back & spend more time....wonderful city. A cruise ship day in port was how we got hooked!

Funny how smells evoke memories - good & bad. Bulgari is (was?) the hand cream in the goody bag on LAN Chile a couple of years ago, & I associate the smell with that since the whole section reeked of it by the end of a very long flight. Wonder if when I sniff it again on the cruise, I'll suddenly crave re-heated food & re-runs of a Chilean soap opera?

I have used the Sebamed toiletries in the past in hopes of finding non-perfumed hypo-allergenic products but I've given up because they don't work at all well and are definitely perfumed - the smell isn't terribly strong but is definitely present.

I've found it easier to just go with the Bulgari products - whilst the ingredients aren't listed on the bottles, they are on the soaps and they really don't have anything too nasty in them; the scent dissipates pretty quickly too.

Well, when I say I use the Bulgari products, I actually only use the solid soaps because I bring my own lotion and hair conditioner - I just use the Bulgari shampoo for the delicates I hand wash in the sink.

My review of this cruise is now available in the Reviews section of this site, under my alter ego Camillus112.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=554747

Ithaca: Yes!! Barcelona is a wonderful city' date=' full of grand sights and monuments, as well as intimate shops and tapas cafés. If you only have one day, I [b']recommend the HoHo bus[/b] for a panoramic view of all you will miss if you don't return. Most people from cruises walk Las Ramblas, and I urge you to stroll the tiny streets on the right hand side of the avenue, which comprise Barrio Gotic and El Born. If staying in Barcelona, I recommend Hotel Colón, right in front of the Cathedral (not the Basílica) in Barrio Gotic. There's always music and lots of people in the esplanade in front of the Cathedral and it's a lot of fun.

Appreciate the very nice and detailed review of the Silver Spirit from Ithaca. As we get ready for a probable Lisbon to Rouen sailing in mid June for our first trip on this ship, these insights/info are very helpful.

On Barcelona, agree 100% with Ithaca for the good tips on this great and charming city. Yes, also for doing the HoHo bus. Especially if coming in that morning after a long flight, being able to sit on the top of that open double-deck bus makes things easy to see the great architecture and sights in this town with so much character. Need proof and evidence? See below some sights as we rode on the bus on a nice, sunny day. Plus some other visuals, including from the wonderful exercise there of walking around and soaring up the history, sights and smells of this city.

Don't forget . . . the super interesting and charming Mercat La Boqueria in Barcelona. We had the “Big Breakfast” there. It was truth in advertising!! There is the option of eating at a counter. There are a wide variety of items offered in this great market!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,272 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For Barcelona, one of the most famous sites is its main and historic Cathedral that is over 700-years old and right around the corner from our Hotel Regincia Colon. It is officially called the Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia and was constructed from the 13th to 15th centuries. Its principal work done in the 14th century. It is also near where you catch the hop-on buses circling the town.:

BarcelMainCathedGreatSky.jpg

Barcelona has many apartment building with interesting architectural details. Here the iron railings are wonderfully designed with a local lady taking a look as we passed below on the top level of our hop-on, hop-off bus as we traveled all over this historic and interesting city with great character, charm and innovative design.:

BarcelBalconyIronworkLady.jpg

Near one of famed architect Gaudi’s most famous building, here is a unique street light design along one of Barcelona’s major boulevards.:

BarcelGaudiStreetLight.jpg

Our first night in Barcelona, included wonderful tapas and a spectacular paella in a small dining place near our hotel. It is named Neyras in the neighborhood of Sant Pere Santa Caterina i la Ribera with an address of Laietana, 41. Here is the lady preparing some of the food.:

BarcelFoodPrepTapas.jpg

Gaudi’s new Basilica is still under construction, making progress toward a potential 2026 completion. The Pope was here in the fall of 2010 for a dedication. This design is “unique”, innovative and in some ways strange. Here is one small sampling what is being done, so far.:

BarcelGaudiCathedralCrains.jpg

We first visited Barcelona in 1998 and loved the Las Ramblas. It is always busy with lots of tourists and locals, around the clock, participating in the spectacle that is Barcelona. Las Ramblas runs from the start of Placa de Catalunya and ends to the south at Port Vell at the Christopher Columbus statue. Las Ramblas runs through Barcelona’s center, with the Gothic Quarter and El Raval neighborhoods to either side. There are colorful street performers and vendors selling everything imaginable from flowers to caged birds. The architecture is such an interesting mix. Here is one of many examples for what is interesting with its buildings along this great walking place, including one of the many theatre in this area.:

BarcelRamblaTheatreFront.jpg

My review of this cruise is now available in the Reviews section of this site, under my alter ego Camillus112.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=554747

Thanks for letting us know Ithaca! Glad to see you had an enjoyable experience, albeit with a few hiccups along the way. We're looking forward to joining the Spirit in less than 4-weeks!

Stumblefoot, I'm certain you will enjoy your cruise. The Spirit is in very good shape and the crew will surely pamper you. Please lt us know your thoughts as you embark on your journey. Safe and wonderful travels!!