Live from the Spirit: Barcelona to Bridgetown - Nov. 5

NJBelle

Thanks! I was delayed in responding since I had to unpack, do laundry, sort the mail, make up my own bed, figure out what to eat and then eat it, and then, can you believe it, clean up afterwards! Right now, I had to make my own Silver Spirit Martini so that I would have a beverage to accompany me while I write this. And there is no live music in the background, just so you know how I suffer....

Anyway, wanted to respond about the speciality restaurants. As I mentioned, the food was really good in all of them. We like the Restaurant for meals, in general, and especially like it for lunch on sea days. But we do mix and match to the situation. For 16 sea days, I think we ate in the Restaurant 7-8 times for lunch, pool deck 4-5 times, Seishin one time and then we had excursions a couple of days during lunch. For dinner, we went to La Terraza twice, Pool Grill twice, Le Champagne once and then Stars once. The rest of the time, we were in the Restaurant.

Seishin seems to have the least business. At lunch, we were one of 5 couples, I think. And most evenings, you could definitely walk in. For lunch there is no charge, but dinner is $40, I think. For lunch, you can order what you want from the sushi and sashimi and tempura menu. The servers will guide you and you can always order more and it comes quickly. Really good, but we decided that we didn't need to go back. Asian is not my preferred type of food, but again, we enjoyed it and can recommend it.

Stars was fun. There are 5 courses of 3-4 tapas served at intervals. There is not really a choice, unless you let them know that there are foods you can't eat and then they will substitute. We liked it all, but thought that once was enough. We did enjoy the duo who performed cabaret style jazz while we dined. But what we did was go back a couple of times after we had finished dinner elsewhere and sit at the bar - or at a table - and just have a glass of wine or cognac, while we enjoyed the music.

Le Champagne was delicious and a very nice experience. We were happy to have gone once, and chose a special wine from the list for our meal. We waddled out, having been treated very well. One of our friends called the evening before a date to see if they could get reservations, and they put him on a waitlist. They did call back and say that no one had cancelled, so he and his partner didn't get to go. So, keep that in mind that sometimes they do fill up.

La Terraza at night seemed the most popular. it was very full both nights that we went. The second night, nearing Barbados, we were able to sit out on the back deck. The air was just delicious and it was a very nice evening for us. Food was great. The first time, they didn't have the duck ragu. They do most evenings, so our waiter was very apologetic. However, we did get it the second time and it was as good as I remembered.

The Pool Grill is fun, too. I like it more than my husband - probably since I like steaks cooked rare! He got prawns (huge!) the first time and he got a strip steak the second time. I got the rib eye both times since it is so good. We happily cooked our meat on the hot rocks and enjoyed the music of Belinda and Rolando. They are the duo who perform during lunch and they do 2-3 hours on deck in the evening as well. This is a nice treat since you can finish your meal and then go sit on the deck with a last (desperately needed) glass of wine.

So, I think that is it. Hope that is helpful for dining decisions on the Spirit.

Now, I will just go back to my Silver Sprit Martini....where are those canapes???

This is wonderful information - thanks so much....food is usually my # 1 concern, unfortunately (followed closely by wine.) I have made several reservations on line & will modify them as needed. We'll be on the ship for a long time (hooray) so there will be no famine, I'm almost positive. All of your comments have been greatly appreciated - as will any further comments & tips. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate & even to those who don't but have many things to be thankful for.

Appreciate the many nice posts on this thread. Sounds like a great, fun cruise!! Have a very Silver Spirit-focused question. We are considering doing this ship for a mid-June 2017 Lisbon to Rouen cruise with varied and interesting port stops every day over the 11-day cruise. No sea days on this cruise, which is fine with us and our interests.

Given that our four previous Silversea cruises have been on the Silver Cloud, how do you compare and rate the Spirit versus what we have enjoyed very much perviously with the smaller SS ship. What have been your most special Spirit loves and memories for this ship? Dislikes or things to avoid on the Spirit? Other factors to consider, including balcony or not, with a cruise that has all very busy and good port day potentials, including along the Atlantic coasts of Portugal, Spain and France. This includes stops for Bordeaux, Belle-ile, Saint Malo, St Peter Port/Guernsey, etc.

THANKS for the insights and suggestions! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,551 views for this posting.

I think I'll take this on...The Spirit is either too big, poorly designed or both. The crew is the same fabulous, familiar group. We have sailed on her many times, but not as a first choice; she was going where we wanted to go! I would always put the itinerary and time of year first, and then would sail on whichever SS ship fit.

You may love The Spirit. Most of the old timers prefer the other ships, but as this is a port intensive cruise, I'm guessing you'll be perfectly happy. The ports are all very interesting....just make sure you take a lot of pix...and photograph members of the crew too, please, we all like to see our wonderful old friends!

Bon Voyage on whatever cruise you pick next.🚢

My two cents:

There are very few Vista suites on the Spirit; if you haven't booked one by now there may not be any left, or there may only be ones right up the pointy end with the inevitable bow thruster noise during docking.

My two favorite SS ships are the Wind for all the small ship advantages, and the Spirit for all the bigger ship advantages. Since you know the Cloud, you know what the smaller ships are like altho' IMO the layout of the Wind is better than the Cloud - altho' they're sister ships, they're not identical.

The bathrooms in the Spirit are soooo much better, once you've mastered the sink which can be tricky. And I just love the upstairs dining at the pool grill - it's much easier to get a table and the view in the evenings for Hot Rocks is so much more interesting.

Agree with Jollyjones, except for service at The Grill. I posted my review on the Reviews section of CC and hope it will be available soon. I have been on the Cloud twice, but my personal opinion is that the Spirit is much better. Even considering its design flaws, the Spirit is a sleeker, more modern built ship. Unfortunately the Cloud needs an overhaul to reach the condition of the Spirit.

Hi all, we have been on the Cloud 3 times and the Spirit twice. The last Cloud visit was several years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but here are the differences I see. First of all, we loved the Cloud - for its size, it has a lot of style and personality. But we do like the greater options on Spirit - more restaurants, more music venues, entertainment. Also on the Spirit, the Bar is quite large. The first time we sailed on her, I was not a fan, but this time, it seemed to be "the place to be" before dinner. We also liked the second level of the Grill on the Spirit. Nice in the daytime for extra places to sit in the shade and then a great place for evening dining, as Jolly says.

One place that Cloud wins is the Observation Lounge. That is a nice venue to be for drinks and other activities. On the Spirit, it has almost a dead feeling. It is tucked up away from everything, with no bathroom nearby, no really active bar (looks like kind of a make-shift one). We usually love to go to the Observation Lounge to read or relax on cruises, but only went twice on this last one on the Spirit - the second time was on disembarkation day since we figured it would be quiet since no one went there!

Having said this, we are thrilled to see that the Cloud will be the ship for the Antarctica cruises - once it is refitted. We do love her and look forward to more adventures on this sweet ship.

Hi all, we have been on the Cloud 3 times and the Spirit twice. The last Cloud visit was several years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but here are the differences I see. First of all, we loved the Cloud - for its size, it has a lot of style and personality. But we do like the greater options on Spirit - more restaurants, more music venues, entertainment. Also on the Spirit, the Bar is quite large. The first time we sailed on her, I was not a fan, but this time, it seemed to be "the place to be" before dinner. We also liked the second level of the Grill on the Spirit. Nice in the daytime for extra places to sit in the shade and then a great place for evening dining, as Jolly says.

One place that Cloud wins is the Observation Lounge. That is a nice venue to be for drinks and other activities. On the Spirit, it has almost a dead feeling. It is tucked up away from everything, with no bathroom nearby, no really active bar (looks like kind of a make-shift one). We usually love to go to the Observation Lounge to read or relax on cruises, but only went twice on this last one on the Spirit - the second time was on disembarkation day since we figured it would be quiet since no one went there!

Having said this, we are thrilled to see that the Cloud will be the ship for the Antarctica cruises - once it is refitted. We do love her and look forward to more adventures on this sweet ship.

I think you may be confusing the Cloud withe Wind, there is no Observation Lounge on the Cloud.:D

Just a different opinion - We love the Obs bar on the Spirit since it is a place where you can go before dinner, have a drink and enjoy a conversation without having to compete with the live music. It does help that we have a suite on Deck 11 so the bathroom is nearby, but even without that luxury, we would still go to the Obs bar for a drink. We do not like the Main bar since it seems to us like drinking in Grand Central station.

To each his (or her) own.

We also love the Cloud for its size and lovely spaces, but we probably prefer the Spirit for the greater variety of dining venues.

You can't go wrong with either one.

No, I am not confusing it with the Wind. I am confusing the Panorama Lounge on the Cloud (scene of remembered activities I mentioned) with the location of the Observation Lounge on many of the other ships we have sailed on (other lines) in the meantime. I said I might have a fuzzy memory since it had been awhile:).

Even though it looks like the Cloud is not coming out ahead on any of the comparisons, I will say that it is a more elegant ship and does allow one to go to many ports that might not be possible with a larger ship. We will always remember our sail-away from Tower Bridge in London on the Cloud.

The Cloud as an expedition ship will have an observation lounge (finally ending the tired/smelly fitness center--moving to deck 6) beginning in November of next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will always remember our sail-away from Tower Bridge in London on the Cloud.

Ditto. The hairs stood up on the back on my neck. It was quite an experience for me heightened by the fact I can see the Silversea ships from my office window (less than a hundred yards) when they are berthed.

I just posted a thread showing up all the Tower Bridge visits for the next two years .... I'll be watching every one of them... and going on for lunch for a few :-)

I'm looking forward especially to the expedition Cloud.

The Spirit is either too big, poorly designed or both. The crew is the same fabulous, familiar group. I would always put the itinerary and time of year first, and then would sail on whichever SS ship fit. You may love The Spirit. Most of the old timers prefer the other ships, but as this is a port intensive cruise, I'm guessing you'll be perfectly happy. The ports are all very interesting....just make sure you take a lot of pix...and photograph members of the crew too, please, we all like to see our wonderful old friends! Bon Voyage on whatever cruise you pick next.🚢

jollyjones: My two cents: My two favorite SS ships are the Wind for all the small ship advantages' date=' and the [b']Spirit for all the bigger ship advantages[/b]. Since you know the Cloud, you know what the smaller ships are like The bathrooms in the Spirit are soooo much better, once you've mastered the sink which can be tricky. And I just love the upstairs dining at the pool grill - it's much easier to get a table and the view in the evenings for Hot Rocks is so much more interesting.

NJBelle: we have been on the Cloud 3 times and the Spirit twice. we do like the greater options on Spirit - more restaurants' date=' more music venues, entertainment[/b']. Also on the Spirit, the Bar is quite large. The first time we sailed on her, I was not a fan, but this time, it seemed to be "the place to be" before dinner. We also liked the second level of the Grill on the Spirit. Nice in the daytime for extra places to sit in the shade and then a great place for evening dining, as Jolly says.

Emtbsam: We love the Obs bar on the Spirit since it is a place where you can go before dinner' date=' have a drink and enjoy a conversation without having to compete with the live music. We do not like the Main bar since it seems to us like drinking in Grand Central station. We also love the Cloud for its size and lovely spaces, but we probably [b']prefer the Spirit for the greater variety of dining venues. You can't go wrong with either one.

Appreciate so much these great and various comments and observations. Very interesting and helpful!! As wisely noted by CruisinPashmina, we are also all about the itinerary and timing. The ship is nice and of value. But, it is not our prime, highest priority. This sailing would work very well for us in allowing us to sample so much of interest for Lisbon, Portugal, Spain, western France, etc. We are flexible folks and it sounds like the Spirit would work well for our needs and interests. Keep up the great sharing and beneficial tips.

Yes, if this potential booking can work out, I will take lots of pictures, including of the great and hard-working staff. It's always nice and of interest to involve/connect the staff visually. Most of them appreciate this interest in them and this celebration of their excellent efforts. But, with no sea-days and such port intensity, my live/blogging might be a little time-pressured. BUT, eventually, I would share all of the wonderful sights and experiences.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,948 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

probably asked & answered but I'm not seeing it. I think they still offer the Acqua di Parma line of toiletries but are there other less strong smelling options? I realize this is a text book first world problem & we'll probably take our own, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is such an option. Your recollection?

I had inquired about a cruelty-free option for my upcoming cruise, and Silversea will be providing me with Sebamed toiletries. I'm not that familiar with the line, but it seems that the company was founded by a German dermatologist and was developed for those with hyper-sensitive skin and eczema. Because of this, I would *assume* that the products avoid unecessary fragrances and colorings, which I hope is the case as I too, prefer "clean" to "choking". I can report back when we return in mid-December if you'd like.

Bechi

Yes, the Acqua de Parma has been gone for quite some time. :eek: It has been replaced by Ferragamo Tuscan Soul.

Bulgaria seems to be the default.

And Sebamed has replaced the Neutrogena. The line is actually quite nice.

(This is as of September. On board in a week or so and will post if any changes.)

Edited by Herman The Cat

& I'll look forward to hearing if it's still that way. I'm not familiar at all with the Sebamed so I googled it & darned if they don't sell it at Costco! I have an aversion to very smelly (even "good" smelly) products so this is wonderful information. I can always count on CC'ers to come through with answers. Stay tuned, there will probably be more to come. Meanwhile thanks all.

I had inquired about a cruelty-free option for my upcoming cruise, and Silversea will be providing me with Sebamed toiletries. I'm not that familiar with the line, but it seems that the company was founded by a German dermatologist and was developed for those with hyper-sensitive skin and eczema. Because of this, I would *assume* that the products avoid unecessary fragrances and colorings, which I hope is the case as I too, prefer "clean" to "choking". I can report back when we return in mid-December if you'd like.

Bechi

Awesome to hear that there is now a 'cruelty free option' on board. Thumbs up Silversea.

Cheers

Jennifer

Herman, that is pretty funny...Bulgaria...what does it smell like?[emoji6]

Appreciate this funny exchange. Just to help a little on the correct spelling for this product and some of their options, here is a visual aide shown below from our Silver Cloud sailings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,092 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a visual with the correct company name spelling from my photo file during a Silver Cloud sailing:

Nov2016TravelA%20016_zpsrgrwtcm5.jpg

After each cruise we find that a couple or so small bottles of the shampoo have found their way into our cases.

Every so often one comes with me into the shower and the smell of the shampoo evokes such wonderful memories. Not often that a windswept Lincolnshire can be transformed momentarily into a South Pacific odyssey; that's the evocative power of smell, I guess.