Time-Lapse of Gatun Locks

WYTinman

Greetings all,

Another NCL deserter here with a pretty specific Question for previous Panama Canal Cruisers on the Island Princess.

My desire is to set my camera up for a time lapse of the approach from Ft. Sherman into and through the Gatun Locks.

My cabin is on the Port side of the ship, With a North to South approach the ship will be casting a shadow across the frame as the Sun rises if I shoot from my balcony. That will also only allow half the impact.

My ideal location would be high on the ship with a view forward. I'm planning to shoot with a 14mm (Close to Ultra-Wide) so I can capture the activity on the forward portion of the ship as well as the canal activity to the left and right.

1. Is there an area on the Island Princess that would allow this view?

One requirement to achieve a smooth Time-Lapse is a stationary camera. The other is just a lot of frames. So my camera will be shooting a picture every 1 or 2 seconds.

2. Is there an area that will accommodate the set-up of a tripod or a rail that I can attach a Gorilla Pod that will be fairly secure from jostling?

3. If there isn't a public area that will work, Who on the ship can I talk to about options that will work?

4. To help me figure out what frame rate I need to use... Does anyone know the approximate travel time from Ft. Sherman through the Gatun locks?

I know these are some Off the Wall questions. My hope is that someone here can present me with options so I can make this happen.

My ultimate goal is to include the time lapse into my Photo review of the cruise for everyone to enjoy.

Mark

Sure - easy done. There is a door at the end of Baja deck (up front past the 200 series cabins that states "do not enter". It will be locked normally, but the crew will unlock it early morning before you enter the channel for the locks. Just go on through and a short corridor to another door. Open it and you will be on the viewing platform above the bridge. There is a rail to attach your camera. Best viewing on the ship! So, get there early to make sure you have a good spot for yourself and the camera. Have a GREAT time!!!!

Sure - easy done. There is a door at the end of Baja deck (up front past the 200 series cabins that states "do not enter". It will be locked normally, but the crew will unlock it early morning before you enter the channel for the locks.

Twice on coral, this was not opened.n

However, once on coral, the entire forward area of the bow

(around the crew pool) was opened to passengers.

For time-lapse, what I have seen people do is stake out a

spot very early -- like 5:30.

One gent had a go pro on a mono-pod raised pretty high, and the mono

pod was secured to a forward looking railing.

I think that you will have to guard your location. Panama Canal is

one place where I have experienced a lot of pushing and shoving

by people trying to get to the rail.

Twice on coral, this was not opened.n

However, once on coral, the entire forward area of the bow

(around the crew pool) was opened to passengers.

For time-lapse, what I have seen people do is stake out a

spot very early -- like 5:30.

I've done the partial 3 times (twice on the Coral, once on the Island) and the full transit once on the Coral. I have heard if it were too windy, they won't open the viewing access doors, but they were all open on our four.

I totally agree with pablo222 that you need to get there EARLY to get a good spot, and plan to rotate in and out with a friend so you don't loose your spot if you need the facilities or coffee!

In any case, you will have a GREAT cruise. I took video from my Baja 207 balcony on my first partial transit and it came out really nice - but the forward viewing areas would be much better, especially for time-lapse.

We are just off the Coral on a PC turnaround. The forward viewing area door was marked with a removable magnetic sign saying something like "For navigational reasons and high wing this door is closed." However at around 6:00 we walked through anyhow to an empty balcony. About a half-hour later the sign was removed and the area began filling up. The Caribe deck is a better choice if/when it rains there is an overhang to get under...not so on the Baja area. We've used this viewing area the last four times through the canal...two turn arounds and two full transits. On a full transit the the areas at the stern offer an uncrowded relaxing canal view with loungers...but ONLY on the Coral!

Am curious how the viewing is on the Caribbean Princess when she goes through the new locks. Anyone?

Be sure you read up on the history of the canal before you go as it will make your experience that much more meaningful and help you understand the narration better.

Enjoy.

I would be setting my time lapse to 1-2 minutes, rather than seconds. Otherwise, you might as well just put it on video.

To get an idea of time, google Panama Canal cam schedule.

the top result will be the link to the Panama Canal cams, and you can get an idea of how long it takes to get through the locks. The second result will take you to a forum specifically for the Panama Canal and transits. The link to the schedule includes the AIS map of the canal, and you can zoom in and see how long it takes a ship to get TO the locks, and through. It ain't fast.

There are seven ships transiting westbound this week, although I suspect Star Flyer might go through at night. Actually, you do not even need a cruise ship to watch. Any ship will do, they all take the same amount of time. Pick a nice container ship with lots of colorful containers. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I would be setting my time lapse to 1-2 minutes, rather than seconds. Otherwise, you might as well just put it on video.

To get an idea of time, google Panama Canal cam schedule.

the top result will be the link to the Panama Canal cams, and you can get an idea of how long it takes to get through the locks. The second result will take you to a forum specifically for the Panama Canal and transits. The link to the schedule includes the AIS map of the canal, and you can zoom in and see how long it takes a ship to get TO the locks, and through. It ain't fast.

There are seven ships transiting westbound this week, although I suspect Star Flyer might go through at night. Actually, you do not even need a cruise ship to watch. Any ship will do, they all take the same amount of time. Pick a nice container ship with lots of colorful containers. EM

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Essiesmom: Very useful info Thanks!!!!

If I shoot a frame every 1-2 minutes, at a final frame rate of 24 fps, the final time lapse will be 24-48 minutes per second, a lot of action will be missed.

Your point on video is well taken. I had that debate with myself when I first decided I wanted to do this. Even if I shoot both with the same camera, The image quality per frame of combined stills won over the ease of sped up video.

I'm well aware that I'm dealing with possibility of 2-5 hours of guarding my camera and thousands of pictures to edit and combine. That's why I'm asking these questions now.

Please keep contributing with what ever options come to mind.

I'm still asking if anyone knows who would be an On-Board point of contact to ask for options???

I'm looking to produce as close to professional product as I can.

I have a lot fond, and some not so fond memories of Panama and the Canal Zone. I haven't been back since December 1989 and wish to share my experience through this and my review.

Mark

4. To help me figure out what frame rate I need to use... Does anyone know the approximate travel time from Ft. Sherman through the Gatun locks?

This might be a little hard to give you a very precise figure but it could possibly as long as 5 hours. The ship may pass through the breakwater as early as 5-5:30. At this point Ft. Sherman will be on your starboard side. This where the first pilot will board, from here it will take about an hour to reach Gatun Locks. Once your ship arrives at Gatun Locks and your lockage begins allow about an 1.5 hours for the actual passage through the locks.

This times are very elastic and as always depends on Canal traffic and conditions.

I'm well aware that I'm dealing with possibility of 2-5 hours of guarding my camera and thousands of pictures to edit and combine.

You will really have to guard your camera. People on panama canal

cruises are really, really aggressive. They will knock you and your

camera out of the way if you are occupying a rail they want to get to.

If it were me, I would write a note to the captain (or cruise director)

early in the cruise, and ask if any crew-only viewing areas will be

opened, and what time they will open. That would give you a chance

to stake out a good spot.

Also, depending on your specific cruise, and canal traffic, the ship

my stop / anchor in gatun lake and continue later (possible several

hours later).

And, make sure your camera battery and flash memory is up to

hours and hours of interval shooting.

Something like a GoPro would be really simple for this application,

and the quality would probably be good enough. And, it's a good

excuse to buy one, if you don't already have one.

Edited by pablo222