Iconcierge use with iphone Facetime?

BarbieGee

I've installed iconcierge on our iphones. I wondered if we can use our Facetime for communication on board while at sea without paying for the additional wi-fi package?

Any other ways to communicate with my family on board?

I've installed iconcierge on our iphones. I wondered if we can use our Facetime for communication on board while at sea without paying for the additional wi-fi package?

Any other ways to communicate with my family on board?

I just read recently about leaving voicemail and you can check it on any ship phone. FaceTime won't work (or everyone would use it to avoid paying.)

I'm John and I sent this message.

I just read recently about leaving voicemail and you can check it on any ship phone. FaceTime won't work (or everyone would use it to avoid paying.)

That would seem very inefficient to me, always looking for a ship phone to find out if someone wants to just catch a show or go to bingo or have a drink.

I also read a thread where the ship board WiFi was not functioning very well and messages sent did not get delivered in a timely fashion.

Guess we will just have to 'wing' it and create meeting points.

That would seem very inefficient to me, always looking for a ship phone to find out if someone wants to just catch a show or go to bingo or have a drink.

I also read a thread where the ship board WiFi was not functioning very well and messages sent did not get delivered in a timely fashion.

Guess we will just have to 'wing' it and create meeting points.

Yup, very

inefficient.

Voice mail messages left for/on individual stateroom can ONLY be accessed or retrieved from that stateroom directly. There are no remote access nor user codes for such function elsewhere on the ship (... maybe the designated I.T. or senior Communications Officer in case of emergencies) as such function would pose security & privacy risks, as in "accidental" retrieval, unintended or otherwise.

Facetime or similar VoIP features do require purchase and/or activation of one of the paid WiFi packages or PAYG options.

For Haven/Suite guests - isn't there a mobile Nokia style candybar phone (similar to the ones carried/used by the ship's uniformed officers) that can be carrier around onboard ... typically used to summon one's concierge and/or butler for services. Not for steerage class, however - :D

Voice mail messages left for/on individual stateroom can ONLY be accessed or retrieved from that stateroom directly. There are no remote access nor user codes for such function elsewhere on the ship (... maybe the designated I.T. or senior Communications Officer in case of emergencies) as such function would pose security & privacy risks, as in "accidental" retrieval, unintended or otherwise.

Facetime or similar VoIP features do require purchase and/or activation of one of the paid WiFi packages or PAYG options.

For Haven/Suite guests - isn't there a mobile Nokia style candybar phone (similar to the ones carried/used by the ship's uniformed officers) that can be carrier around onboard ... typically used to summon one's concierge and/or butler for services. Not for steerage class, however - :D

Yes. One of the phones in a suite is a handiphone similar to those carried by the crew. You can call your stateroom or they can call you. Not good for person-to-person calls.

The recommended Method is to pay for the iConcierge service for text and voice communications on the ship.

I am resigned.

I guess, in the area of marketing, the cruise line must make a bit of Geld by offering these communications (and other....) packages thereby keeping the cabin revenue pricing low.

Imagine, if you will, if the cruise lines were as rapacious as airlines and charged per your luggage! :eek: