Is there enought time to catch a flight?

tempus137

We're booked on the Star in May, sailing out of Venice to the Greek Isles.

Here's my situation. According to the itinerary, the ship arrives back in Venice at 8:00AM. I want to catch a flight home at 11:30AM. Is there enough time?

The alternative is an extra night in Venice post-cruise. I don't want to take a later flight, because 1- it's more expensive and 2- it's a turboprop to Dusseldorf before the flight to NYC.

Well add up the time. You need a 2 hour window for international flights. Plus transfer time to the airport, AND- you may be thinking, you will just be first off the ship? (along with everyone who "assumes" the same thing?). Pretty clear, you have a slim chance of being successful.

We're booked on the Star in May, sailing out of Venice to the Greek Isles.

Here's my situation. According to the itinerary, the ship arrives back in Venice at 8:00AM. I want to catch a flight home at 11:30AM. Is there enough time?

The alternative is an extra night in Venice post-cruise. I don't want to take a later flight, because 1- it's more expensive and 2- it's a turboprop to Dusseldorf before the flight to NYC.

No chance, honestly!! Best to stay overnight in the Mestre area (much lower price).

Even in the highly unlikely event of being off the ship (complete with luggage) by 8.30 you would be competing with many coming off the other ships in port for a very few taxis. In our experience they give preference to Italian nationals, of whom there are very many on the Costa and MSC ships.

The other alternative is to walk to the people mover, with your luggage, get an airport bus in Plaza Roma square. With a fair wind, you might get to the airport by 9.45.......then you face an extremely busy airport, long lines for security, utter mayhem.....

The flight to Düsseldorf probably doesn't need a two hour checkin, probably you would need to be checked in/ bag drop by 45 minutes before departure, check your booking but this is a short flight and normally would load fast. I think the people mover/bus is the best option. Last time we got off this cruise there were long queues for the Alilaguna water bus with people getting off the various ship. On that occasion we stayed an extra couple of nights in Venice. We are in fact booking the same cruise in June and have already booked our flight, our flight is 12.10, bag drop closes 11.30. We are not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, I'm trying to avoid the flight to Dusseldorf. Neither DW nor I like turboprops. The 11:30 flight was on a regular jet to Dublin. There is a non-stop to JFK at 1:30PM, but the airfare is almost double.

So we'll probably stay at a hotel in Mestre, using points. This way, we'll get an extra day to tour Venice.