First timer on HAL and looking for advice thinking of booking a lunai stateroom

judymag

I've sailed twice on royal Caribbean and have the opportunity to go to Vancouver next summer and I'm thinking of cruising to alaskea while I'm there. I like the idea of the doors and open air I know it's not a private balcony is it worth booking it or should I go for just the ocean view I can afford a proper balcony stateroom I'm traveling with my 70 year old dad . Also I'm in Ireland and the have there explore 4 offer if I booked a garenteeed stateroom would I be entitled to this offer the price is the same. Hope my questions make since and thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a lanai once. In reading your post I'm suspecting you will be wanting a twin bed set up. There isn't much room and having the space between the beds will make it really hard to walk around the edges.

Thanks for your reply yep I do need the twin set up but can cope with 1 locker between the beds dad takes the one beside more open space and I take the other we don't panics over space which helps

Alaska can often be cold even mid summer, so you may not want to have that "open air" all that much. Considering you also have "midnight' sun in Alaska for the mid summer cruises, it cab be the inside cabins that are the better deal.

Also assuming this is a 7 day cruise (?). personally I would go for the ocean view and spend your money on shore excursions or other onboard amenities. Like the Thermal Spa, when ..... baby it is cold outside.

Unless you can count on a lot of balmy weather and a lot of sea day, you might find yourself not using a balcony all that much. HAL ships have plenty of good outdoor space as compensation.

We personally like balcony cabins mainly for the open glass "wall" they provide and a place to hang out wet clothes, but we actually use it only occasionally -- mainly when coming into port in the mornings and we don't want to get dressed up to go elsewhere on the ship.

Alaska can often be cold even mid summer, so you may not want to have that "open air" all that much. Considering you also have "midnight' sun in Alaska for the mid summer cruises, it cab be the inside cabins that are the better deal.

Also assuming this is a 7 day cruise (?). personally I would go for the ocean view and spend your money on shore excursions or other onboard amenities. Like the Thermal Spa, when ..... baby it is cold outside.

Unless you can count on a lot of balmy weather and a lot of sea day, you might find yourself not using a balcony all that much. HAL ships have plenty of good outdoor space as compensation.

We personally like balcony cabins mainly for the open glass "wall" they provide and a place to hang out wet clothes, but we actually use it only occasionally -- mainly when coming into port in the mornings and we don't want to get dressed up to go elsewhere on the ship.

Thanks for your detailed reply midnight sun doesn't bother me I work night shift so used to sleeping with some degree of sun I might suggest it to my dad about the inside room as we usually only use it to sleep or power nap we have 3 sea days but I don't mind wrapping up warm and sitting out one deck I'm Irish we do crazy weather

You didn't say which ship you are considering but if you want to see some pix google Veendam & cabin 390. It was kind of tricky getting pictures with a wide angle lens. I believe the end tables measured 16 or 18 inches. I don't recall. If you left the one toward the bathroom but used the other between the beds it might work but would be tight. I loved the full size window and having a steamer to sit on.

You didn't say which ship you are considering but if you want to see some pix google Veendam & cabin 390. It was kind of tricky getting pictures with a wide angle lens. I believe the end tables measured 16 or 18 inches. I don't recall. If you left the one toward the bathroom but used the other between the beds it might work but would be tight. I loved the full size window and having a steamer to sit on.

Great thanks that's the ship I'll be on I think finding it hard to remember the ship names

Thanks for advice I booked cruise tonight and can't wait