LIVE from the Freedom of the Seas! - Nov 12, 2016/ 8 night Eastern Caribbean

ckrobyn

Just stopped by to say Hi, I'm also sailing on this cruise, having a great time although had a problem with the cabin which has been resolved. BIG THANKS to ckrobyn for all her hard work.

Hey James! Thanks for stopping by [emoji3] glad your cabin issue was resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning and welcome to a day at sea [emoji41] I really enjoy these days, a great time to just relax, explore the ship, catch up on reading and just basically enjoy doing everything the ship offers, or nothing at all....

The Captain made an announcement just before we left St.Kitts that we would be sailing through a cold front early this morning, and we should be through it by around noon. It's 7:45AM and I just came in from the balcony....it's definitely warm and muggy....? I always look forward to the Captain's Noon Report as well as any other announcements, however I have found it extraordinarily difficult to understand Captain Espen [emoji30]

Hoping for sunshine later today....☀️

The 70's Dance Party was a lot of fun last night! If you plan on attending and want to catch the flashing disco rings and t-shirts the cruise director's staff throws out, you need to be standing around the bridge closest to Guest Relations. Speaking of the Cruise Director, Casey Pelter is great - he's really funny, has a presence around the ship and is very approachable....all good qualities for a CD to have in my opinion.

Stay tuned for more posts throughout this lazy sea day...it is the first of 2 before we arrive back in Fort Lauderdale....a cruise coming to an end is always sad, but knowing I'll be back on the Freedom for the February 18th sailing makes me happy......91 sleeps, but who's counting? LOL [emoji6]

Good morning and welcome to a day at sea [emoji41] I really enjoy these days, a great time to just relax, explore the ship, catch up on reading and just basically enjoy doing everything the ship offers, or nothing at all....

The Captain made an announcement just before we left St.Kitts that we would be sailing through a cold front early this morning, and we should be through it by around noon. It's 7:45AM and I just came in from the balcony....it's definitely warm and muggy....? I always look forward to the Captain's Noon Report as well as any other announcements, however I have found it extraordinarily difficult to understand Captain Espen [emoji30]

Hoping for sunshine later today....☀️

The 70's Dance Party was a lot of fun last night! If you plan on attending and want to catch the flashing disco rings and t-shirts the cruise director's staff throws out, you need to be standing around the bridge closest to Guest Relations. Speaking of the Cruise Director, Casey Pelter is great - he's really funny, has a presence around the ship and is very approachable....all good qualities for a CD to have in my opinion.

Stay tuned for more posts throughout this lazy sea day...it is the first of 2 before we arrive back in Fort Lauderdale....a cruise coming to an end is always sad, but knowing I'll be back on the Freedom for the February 18th sailing makes me happy......91 sleeps, but who's counting? LOL [emoji6]

Awesome review Robin! I see you will be boarding the Oasis as I am getting off in may- we are on the April 30th sailing! I can't wait to be back on her- we did the inaugural sailing and due to life getting in the way have not cruised since- but still so happy to get the chance to cruise again. Oasis is amazing and will always be super special to us both. ;)

Yes, that definitely was an an Azamara ship in port with us in St. Maarten. I've often wondered about their cruise experience, thanks for sharing yours [emoji3]

I have a feeling you will notice the difference between the two ships, but I can tell you that the crew on the Freedom are really great, which always makes a cruise that much better!

HI again,

Our very first cruise was a week long one about 10 years ago or probably more now I come to think about, Western or Eastern Caribbean on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and we loved it. Those were the days when there was no choice re dining in the main dining room and it was a set time, either 6.30 (too early for us) or 8.30 (too late for us). We have also sailed on Celebrity Summit, 2 weeks Panama Canal and again there was no main dining choice. Whilst it was great to get all dressed up, husband in his tux and me in my "ball gown" we felt we had exhausted the cruising experience as we both had taken up golf and our holidays centred around playing golf in a different country (to get out of the unrealiable weather here in the UK)

Then this year was a big birthday for me and we wanted to do something different, hence the Azamara Quest from Bali 16 nights to Japan. The ship seemed to tick all the boxes and at the time the cost was no more than 2 weeks in Europe or Caribbean apart from flights. Having said that we were lucky at the time they were offering double upgrade and since all the drinks, tips etc were included it was a no brainer. Having said that unfortunately Azamara cancelled our cruise (it was originally 12 nights Singapore to Singapore around Thailand) but they were very generous in their compensation and we ended up doing the Bali 16 night to Japan for the same price.

The ship only holds about 630 passengers and there is never ever any over crowding. The officers and crew are first class and whilst there was not many bars/restaurants to choose from - well 2 restaurants and 3 bars - the service was second to none. The shows were more personal in a cabaret lounge so none of the all singing all dancing three tier theatres that the bigger ships have. As I said before, the Captain and other senior officers were always there to welcome us back on board or wish us a good day when we got off and it was those little touches that make Azamara so good.

Then this year, after our week long October holiday in Spain and the log jams on the golf courses we decided we would do something else in our October holiday that got me looking at a cruise in the Med. It was picking the right ship and my colleague at work always has her holidays on RCCL ships and cant stop talking about her fantastic experiences.

Whilst I loved Azamara and will sail with her again, entertainment wise was a little bit non existant so I looked at going back to RCCL and choose Freedom next year in October 2017. I know its a long way off but I do like to plan.

I am hoping that there wont be too many children on board - and its not half term week for the UK and the sailing after ours is a TA - I am very much looking forward to it and have managed to snag one of the aft corner balcony rooms on the 7th deck.

Both my husband and I hate crowds, I tend to get a little bit panicy when there are so many people around me and this is the only thing I worry about but I know if I breathe deeply and think nice things I will be ok.

Friends of ours are also coming with us and staying in an interior room and if it gets too crowded we can always chill out on our balcony with a nice glass of wine or something. We were able to take advantage of the BOGO half price plus free wifi plus $100 OBC plus free drinks package when we booked (although I know that at the end of the day there is no such thing as a bargain because the actual cruise price on its own is less than what we paid and it all adds up to the same price whatever offer is on at the time).

I so look forward to reading your posts everyday and glad you are having a great time. Maybe on one of your cruises we may meet up, you seem like a lovely person.

HI again,

Our very first cruise was a week long one about 10 years ago or probably more now I come to think about, Western or Eastern Caribbean on RCCL Explorer of the Seas and we loved it. Those were the days when there was no choice re dining in the main dining room and it was a set time, either 6.30 (too early for us) or 8.30 (too late for us). We have also sailed on Celebrity Summit, 2 weeks Panama Canal and again there was no main dining choice. Whilst it was great to get all dressed up, husband in his tux and me in my "ball gown" we felt we had exhausted the cruising experience as we both had taken up golf and our holidays centred around playing golf in a different country (to get out of the unrealiable weather here in the UK)

Then this year was a big birthday for me and we wanted to do something different, hence the Azamara Quest from Bali 16 nights to Japan. The ship seemed to tick all the boxes and at the time the cost was no more than 2 weeks in Europe or Caribbean apart from flights. Having said that we were lucky at the time they were offering double upgrade and since all the drinks, tips etc were included it was a no brainer. Having said that unfortunately Azamara cancelled our cruise (it was originally 12 nights Singapore to Singapore around Thailand) but they were very generous in their compensation and we ended up doing the Bali 16 night to Japan for the same price.

The ship only holds about 630 passengers and there is never ever any over crowding. The officers and crew are first class and whilst there was not many bars/restaurants to choose from - well 2 restaurants and 3 bars - the service was second to none. The shows were more personal in a cabaret lounge so none of the all singing all dancing three tier theatres that the bigger ships have. As I said before, the Captain and other senior officers were always there to welcome us back on board or wish us a good day when we got off and it was those little touches that make Azamara so good.

Then this year, after our week long October holiday in Spain and the log jams on the golf courses we decided we would do something else in our October holiday that got me looking at a cruise in the Med. It was picking the right ship and my colleague at work always has her holidays on RCCL ships and cant stop talking about her fantastic experiences.

Whilst I loved Azamara and will sail with her again, entertainment wise was a little bit non existant so I looked at going back to RCCL and choose Freedom next year in October 2017. I know its a long way off but I do like to plan.

I am hoping that there wont be too many children on board - and its not half term week for the UK and the sailing after ours is a TA - I am very much looking forward to it and have managed to snag one of the aft corner balcony rooms on the 7th deck.

Both my husband and I hate crowds, I tend to get a little bit panicy when there are so many people around me and this is the only thing I worry about but I know if I breathe deeply and think nice things I will be ok.

Friends of ours are also coming with us and staying in an interior room and if it gets too crowded we can always chill out on our balcony with a nice glass of wine or something. We were able to take advantage of the BOGO half price plus free wifi plus $100 OBC plus free drinks package when we booked (although I know that at the end of the day there is no such thing as a bargain because the actual cruise price on its own is less than what we paid and it all adds up to the same price whatever offer is on at the time).

I so look forward to reading your posts everyday and glad you are having a great time. Maybe on one of your cruises we may meet up, you seem like a lovely person.

Wow, thanks so much for your nice comments, maybe one day we will find ourselves on the same cruise! That would be great [emoji3]

I appreciate you taking the time to relate your Azmara experience, and that itinerary sounds like a dream.

Try not to worry about the crowds onboard a bigger ship. If you avoid the really busy times at the Windjammer, you should be ok. I never really feel crowded on any ship, except maybe when the 24th person shoves their way into the elevator!!!

Enjoy the planning, that's always one of the most exciting parts of any cruise I take - the anticipation and the months, weeks and days leading up [emoji3]

Awesome review Robin! I see you will be boarding the Oasis as I am getting off in may- we are on the April 30th sailing! I can't wait to be back on her- we did the inaugural sailing and due to life getting in the way have not cruised since- but still so happy to get the chance to cruise again. Oasis is amazing and will always be super special to us both. ;)

Aaaaaw! We will just miss each other! Actually the week of April 30th was a better week time wise for us, but thinking back I believe the price was slightly higher and we couldn't get the cabin we wanted...

This will be my first time in Oasis class and I am nervously looking forward to it. I really enjoy Freedom class, so I'm hoping I won't be too overwhelmed with the size difference!

I'm so happy that you are going to cruise again!!! Life does get in the way sometimes, but happy to hear it's out of the way now and you will be back onboard before you know it!

Thanks for following along [emoji4]

Hi Robyn,

We got off Freedom on Saturday and friends, also from UK, stayed onboard for one more cruise so they are still with you. It was first time on Freedom for all of us though we have sailed Independence and Liberty multiple times.

We were disappointed that they did not use the outside area of the DL when we were onboard, in fact there is a sign on the door which says if you exit you cannot return!

We could see the tables and chairs stacked up through the gap . Maybe an executive decision was made to open it up, lol.

We had just the done the TA on Harmony from Barcelona , so spoiled because everything was shiny and new. Love Oasis class ships, have sailed all of the current ones , they feel so less crowded than Voyager/Freedom, hope you enjoy your experience onboard.

Edited by heatherb1958

Robyn,

Thank you for doing this live review. I have a coworker sailing with you (if you see a crazy Dallas Cowboys fan, that's probably him, LOL), so I figured I would follow and see how the cruise is going.

Did you ever hear more info on the medical emergency and the person take away in handcuffs?

Bill-

Without sounding like a stalker, we think alike a lot I can tell from this review. This is one of my favorite places in Royal's flee. I like this so much better than the solarium on the Oasis class.

We were SO disappointed withe the Solarium on the Allure. It was big, but useless. And HOT and PAINFUL.

Thanx

Erika

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us. My husband and I will be sailing on the FOS November 26. We are returning to RC after cruising Celebrity for the past few years. I appreciate that you are sharing your daily activities, but you are also posting changes such as removing favorite meals from the menus. This helps us to better set our expectations. So looking forward to the cruise especially after cruising with you! Enjoy your last days at sea, the last days are easier to enjoy when you have another cruise book! Lucky you.

Robyn,

Thank you for doing this live review. I have a coworker sailing with you (if you see a crazy Dallas Cowboys fan, that's probably him, LOL), so I figured I would follow and see how the cruise is going.

Did you ever hear more info on the medical emergency and the person take away in handcuffs?

Bill-

We were SO disappointed withe the Solarium on the Allure. It was big, but useless. And HOT and PAINFUL.

Thanx

Erika

I haven't heard anything more about the issues that caused our delayed departure.

I'm not happy to hear that the solarium on Oasis class is hot and painful - that's a favorite hang out for me on this ship [emoji51]

I'll keep an eye out for your co-worker!

I've really enjoyed reading your review! We are looking forward to the NYE sailing on December 30:-) I appreciate your posting the MDR menus and the info that Giovanni's

is open for lunch-we enjoyed it on Oasis several times.

Enjoy the sea day!

Dear Robyn,

We have thoroughly enjoyed your "Live on the Freedom of the Seas"!!

Our son and his new bride are on the Freedom on their honeymoon. I must admit he's a man of few words so your wonderful account of this cruise will obviously "fill in the blanks" for us.

Your photos are amazing ... go IPhone 6. We have savored over your menu listings -- we treated them to Chops last night and sincerely hope the filet proved to be mouthwatering.

Again, thank you for taking the time to offer this very informative blog for all of us who are still at home .

Have a safe trip home,

C.J.

Well, looks like weather is not going to cooperate [emoji30] it's still cloudy and windy which = ship pitching.....

Here are a few pics of the glorious sea day we are having...

For all you Seinfeld fans... "The sea was angry that day"!

ebd9930cdc52a2c1f0b305c93fcfa299.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see in the next photo, but the Oasis is just ahead of us.....

cb4e076a8699224070d00a05d7151772.jpg

I've really enjoyed reading your review! We are looking forward to the NYE sailing on December 30:-) I appreciate your posting the MDR menus and the info that Giovanni's

is open for lunch-we enjoyed it on Oasis several times.

Enjoy the sea day!

Glad you are enjoying the review [emoji4]

Chops is actually open today for lunch and it's $20 [emoji106]

Robyn

Thank you for the review. In 100 days (but who's counting) I will be on the 6 day sailing. Can't wait. As for the food issues...I'm not cooking so I am sure I won't starve. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Food is so subjective, however there is no denying that many of the traditional favorites have been removed from the menu in the MDR and the WJ to a lesser extent. I don't cruise for the food, so to me it's not a huge deal.

You are just about at double digits in your countdown!!!! [emoji3] the time will fly by I'm sure!

Edited by ckrobyn

Aaaaaw! We will just miss each other! Actually the week of April 30th was a better week time wise for us, but thinking back I believe the price was slightly higher and we couldn't get the cabin we wanted...

This will be my first time in Oasis class and I am nervously looking forward to it. I really enjoy Freedom class, so I'm hoping I won't be too overwhelmed with the size difference!

I'm so happy that you are going to cruise again!!! Life does get in the way sometimes, but happy to hear it's out of the way now and you will be back onboard before you know it!

Thanks for following along [emoji4]

Awwww thanks so much for the kind words. You may want to recheck, the prices actually went down in price and they may have a better deal even on Cyber Monday- not sure what they will offer but I hope its decent. In any event I will try and do a "live from" also. I have never done one but I will try. I have alot to live up to. how do you go about uploading pics? Do you use photo bucket to convert? i would love to know.

Also I simply love the way Oasis is laid out. You would assume that with so many people you would feel so lost and overwhelmed and crowded- but they way they have the spaces laid out actually is such that we never once felt that is was overcrowded at all. We love Oasis so much that we can't wait to go back. Also....we LOVE LOVE LOVE the Park Cafe- its our favorite lunch spot.

Edited by divaofdisney

It may be cloudy, but this beats a day in the office anytime!

8537ebc7ce2e84ad8e5cb09ce70c8f04.jpg78f8af49761a79f2fce81a1a9697e00b.jpg

Today's compass

Tonight is the 2nd formal night, and it's also lobster night [emoji106]We let our waiter know we would require several....[emoji6]

The casino was very "friendly" last night, as I walked away with a $350 win on the Life of Luxury slots [emoji41] I took my winnings and ran out as quickly as possible! I'm not a big gambler, so the win was especially nice!

Edited by ckrobyn

Awwww thanks so much for the kind words. You may want to recheck, the prices actually went down in price and they may have a better deal even on Cyber Monday- not sure what they will offer but I hope its decent. In any event I will try and do a "live from" also. I have never done one but I will try. I have alot to live up to. how do you go about uploading pics? Do you use photo bucket to convert? i would love to know.

Also I simply love the way Oasis is laid out. You would assume that with so many people you would feel so lost and overwhelmed and crowded- but they way they have the spaces laid out actually is such that we never once felt that is was overcrowded at all. We love Oasis so much that we can't wait to go back. Also....we LOVE LOVE LOVE the Park Cafe- its our favorite lunch spot.

Using Tapatalk onboard for LIVE reviews is awesome from my iPhone (which I have used 100% of the time for this review) in the past when I've used my PC, I had to upload to photobucket first, whereas this method is one simple step [emoji3] Plus, I can post several times a day from my phone rather than waiting until I am back in my cabin. I like to answer as many questions as I can.

I will look forward to your report from Oasis, and I'll look at the prices again when I get home. Who knows, we may just end up on the same ship - but....I will pass the LIVE review torch (battery operated of course!) to you for that one! [emoji106]

Love love love following along Robyn and thank you for all your work. You had mentioned doing the Marriott in St Kitts but I didn't see anything in your review so I am assuming plans changed. Definitely looking forward to your views on Chops if you make it there as we are doing our wedding reception dinner there. Hope the weather clears and you enjoy the last days.....we love sea days at the end of a cruise to just unwind completely. Take care, Jim

Hey Jim [emoji4]Thanks for your kind words, I am really enjoying this cruise and the opportunity to report LIVE. Unfortunately the weather was quite touch and go in the morning, it was raining on and off, so we decided to forgo the day pass to the Marriott. We are back in St. Kitts in February so probably will try again!

As for Chops, I personally really want to go, but the others in my group are not so keen.....looks like that will have to wait until February as well.

I'm really enjoying today, just lazing around (literally on my bed) watching the world sail by......pure bliss.

Edited by ckrobyn

Using Tapatalk onboard for LIVE reviews is awesome from my iPhone (which I have used 100% of the time for this review) in the past when I've used my PC, I had to upload to photobucket first, whereas this method is one simple step [emoji3] Plus, I can post several times a day from my phone rather than waiting until I am back in my cabin. I like to answer as many questions as I can.

I will look forward to your report from Oasis, and I'll look at the prices again when I get home. Who knows, we may just end up on the same ship - but....I will pass the LIVE review torch (battery operated of course!) to you for that one! [emoji106]

Just downloaded this app to my phone. Looking forward to using it and yes you are right it does appear very user friendly in regards to uploading pics. Thanks so much.