LIVE from the Freedom of the Seas! - Nov 12, 2016/ 8 night Eastern Caribbean

ckrobyn

I really enjoyed this review! Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. I am looking forward to meeting you in February at our meet and mingle[emoji4]

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I'm going incognito on the February cruise.....but if you do see me, please say hi!

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was off the ship and in a cab to the airport by 8:15AM [emoji41] terminal 29 is great for disembarkation.....but that's about it [emoji15]

I feel the same way. It's not the prettiest terminal, but I would much rather disembark at 29, than at 24/25. No traffic circle and no walking outside to the next terminal to get bags.

I feel the same way. It's not the prettiest terminal, but I would much rather disembark at 29, than at 24/25. No traffic circle and no walking outside to the next terminal to get bags.

Exactly.

Wait, are you saying that beverages from the Starbucks kiosk on the Royal Promenade are included in a beverage package?

I don't think Freedom has a Starbuck's kiosk. I'm pretty sure Robyn is talking about the Starbuck's brand served in the Cafe Promenade.

I don't think Freedom has a Starbuck's kiosk. I'm pretty sure Robyn is talking about the Starbuck's brand served in the Cafe Promenade.

Thank-you, I'm so mixed up with all the live threads, I thought she was on Harmony for a minute.

Hope you got home safe and thanks again for the fab daily review.

Now as a first timer to be in May 2017, I have no experience of cruise food, so the menus didn't look too bad to me. I am hoping however that the food will taste nice and be hot enough. One thing that confounded me on the menus was the idea of chilled soup. Is the soup actually cold??? Or meant to be cold? Fish is a big no no for me and the only worse thing I can think of is cold soup.lol

Also wondering, when can I apply for crown and anchor membership? Can this be done during first cruise or only after?

Now as a first timer to be in May 2017, I have no experience of cruise food, so the menus didn't look too bad to me. I am hoping however that the food will taste nice and be hot enough. One thing that confounded me on the menus was the idea of chilled soup. Is the soup actually cold??? Or meant to be cold? Fish is a big no no for me and the only worse thing I can think of is cold soup.lol

Also wondering, when can I apply for crown and anchor membership? Can this be done during first cruise or only after?

Thanks!

After your first completed cruise you can apply for C&A membership [emoji3]

Yes, the soups are actually cold, and apparently they have quite the fan base, although I am not part of that!

You're most welcome!

Just landed safely in Toronto [emoji4]

Thanks for the review !!

My DH and I hop on this Saturday and I am so excited!

Do you recall if they had toiletries on board?? We just got off the Anthem and they had the usual shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, soap. Just want to confirm their presence on the Freedom.

Also - did they have the drink card??

Glad you made it home safe.

One thing that confounded me on the menus was the idea of chilled soup. Is the soup actually cold??? Or meant to be cold? Fish is a big no no for me and the only worse thing I can think of is cold soup.lol

If you like Gerber baby food fruits, you will enjoy some of the chilled soups, especially the banana rum and the peach. I have been known to order a second bowl for my dessert.

Welcome home. Such a wonderful weather welcome. UGH. I waved to you from Harmony in St Maarten. Thanks for the live review.

Thanks, you too!

Now I have to go read your amazing review [emoji106][emoji41]

I appreciated reading this thread! Four of us just disembarked from the Freedom today and I felt like I re-lived the last 8 days!

I will say that we were disappointed with the dining experience. We have been on 3 cruises in the last 3 years (Royal Princess, Carnival Conquest, and FOS). When it comes to the dining experience, FOS comes in 3rd when ranked against the other two. In the MDR, we had repeated instances where the food was cold or just barely warm and the steak was not tender. We found ourselves each ordering multiple entrees hoping that between them we would find something we would enjoy. It is not as though we starved. The food was OK, but not what we had experienced these other cruises (or on my prior trips 5-6 years ago on FOS and Oasis). I also tend to be picky about desserts. I have a real sweet tooth and when I go on vacation, I like to have my desserts. Unfortunately, we noticed a pattern as the 8 days unfolded, that multiple desserts, regardless of the name, was made from a flavorless gelatinous flan-like substance which we dubbed 'memory foam' and 'hospital food'. Also, the 'mile high' lemon meringue was merely a lemon tart, not even an inch high. The Baked Alaska was good, but I would recommend ordering 2 portions because the piece was very skinny. We also felt rushed in the MDR (early seating). No sooner were the menus shoved in our faces than the waiter returned to take our order. The wait staff appeared stressed and overworked in a hurry to clear everyone out so they could be ready for the next seating.

One evening we took a walkthrough the Windjammer after dinner and felt that the main courses there seemed to be more appetizing than were in the MDR. (Desserts were the same as MDR). We prefer the formality of the MDR and the waiters which is why we continued to eat in the MDR.

As for lunch we ate in the Windjammer each day except for the last. We were disappointed with the lunch options. The mainstay was hamburgers/hot dogs. I prefer a salad every day with some lean meat in it for protein. I had difficulty finding that lean meat. Some days there was tuna, most there was not. Most days there were no tomatoes in the salad bar. One day I noticed they were carving turkey so I thought I'd get some of that for my salad, but they ran out. We did however, have an excellent lunch in the MDR on our last day.

We had breakfast each morning in the Windjammer. The selection was good but everyone was disappointed in what was referred to as 'Orange Juice' which was really a sugary orange drink. FOS should not call it Orange juice because it is not!

Despite the food, the rest of the experience was phenomenal (except for the cool rainy whether). The mattresses were comfortable, the shows were great, the ship was clean, beautiful and well maintained. (Princess and Carnival certainly don't come close in these areas).

the soups are cold and some of them are great. I especially like the strawberry bisque.