La Romana again!!!!!

Just been on line to look again at excursions for Dream TA in April next year and yet again we are going to La Romana instead of Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic - the third time we've booked on Dream and itinerary Was Amber Cove and then gets changed. Amber Cove is a lovely new cruise terminal on the north coast and is used by all class cruise lines so is obviously too expensive for Thomson but not Tui - so a beach trip to the same Bayahibe hotel full of French - as not risking a taxi in this dangerous port :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to La Romana twice before and have booked a beach trip both times when we git back to the boat the first time people said they didn't feel safe and one couple had been robbed The second time when we got back to the ship people and crew said they'd been turned back by police as it was too dangerous to go into town so they'd spent all day on board as they were then frightened to take taxis. We go again in April and again will book a beach trip. So anyone booking a 2 week stay on Celebration I would suggest middle week stop in La Romana you book a trip with Thomsons

Been a few years since our visits, but we found the port OK not much to do just a small duty free, but we did do the beach transfer and had a really lovely trip down the river on a paddle boat with a visit round a craft centre all trips with Thomson but as I say its going back about nine years??

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

As I've said elsewhere, La Romana was our first port of call on our debut cruise, we were put off by first impressions and returned onboard relatively quickly.

That was 2009, things may have improved since then, hopefully.

However, based on various negative reports (such as those aired here), you have to question Thomsons choice to make it a home port for the duration of the season in the Caribbean.

You can do an excursion to a small marina with smart bars and shops. It's not far from the port.

I would honestly say you are not missing much by not going to Amber Cove. We haven't been here but to another 'false' carnival port in Mexico. They are totally soulless and just like docking at an hotel for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned (yesterday) from Caribbean Horizons on the Dream and one of the ports was La Romana. We were warned in advance by friends that this is not a safe destination so we did a ship's tour.

Cruise News on board advises not to walk into town as there are no pavements. What they should say is it is not safe to walk into town as you may well be a target for thieves. Armed police at the exit should be a clue but some people still walked in and we heard of one lady who had her bag snatched.

The tour itself was the least enjoyable but saved by free flowing rum on the river trip!

Don't do ships tour here. We had an awful tour to a village with nothing of interest in it followed by a river cruise which at least had some free rum and beer on board. The guide was completely useless and only spoke when he asked for tips at the end of the tour. We complained to Thomsons when on board and received a refund of 20% (better than nothing). In fact I would not do another cruise that included this port of call.

That's such a shame bigglesgirl that was a tour we did on our first cruise to the Caribbean many years ago and it was one of our most memorable, in a good way, the craft village which presumably was were you went we found fascinating, but unfortunately things appear have changed. Pleased we went at a better time and thanks for the info.

Was there just over a week ago. Two areas for the ship to dock. Unfortunately, we were on the side with no duty free, or indeed any facilities. Port and area pretty rough. Took a monster truck tour to sugar cane fields, craft shop, cigar factory and a local school. Here you could buy packs, which included shoes and books, to donate to the children. Rum and soft drinks served throughout. Reasonable priced tour of £44.

La Romana is one of my favorite resort areas around the world. My favorite beach is on Isla Catalina, which is right off of La Romana. There are many tours that can take you here for the day, most all-inclusive that include food, beach chairs, and an open bar. Isla Catalina is a protected nature reserve, therefore it had the best coral I have ever seen and I enjoyed snorkeling there. The beach was pristine and gorgeous. Also near La Romana, there is San Pedro de Macoris which is a pretty town to explore. Many of the resorts, like the Grand Bahia Principe and Dreams, that offer day passes that give you access to their beach and pools. La Romana is also a premier golf destination.

La Romana is not a port that is really meant for one to step off the boat and enjoy. It is meant for you to take a tour, all of the allures of the area need to be reached with a tour. La Romana has some of the best beaches and golfing in the world, you just need to adventure out to see it.

As for why ships are homeported in La Romana, it has to do with the world-class resorts in the area, and nearby Punta Cana being 40 minutes away. Thomson has a large amount of people taking holidays in Punta Cana and La Romana, therefore it is easy for people to have resort and cruise holidays.

Edited by OceansOfTravels

Just had an email from Thomson and from Thomson TA to advise my itinerary has been changed for TA repositioning cruise April 2017 Amber Cove has been replaced by La Romana as Amber Cove is very busy and I should get the most out of my time ashore in La Romana - I've only known this for a couple of months and who are they kidding with 'The best out of my time ashore' in La Romana - it's a good job we've booked the beach trip like we have for the last two years

Not all bad if you look back in this post but it has been many years since we have been so would recommend just do the Thomson trips and take the hit on the costs as its a long way to go not to try something and not obtain your own views. Have a great time.

No it won't change and it'll be the home port for Celebration winter 2017/2018

I suppose this will be good for Thomson tapping into people who like hotel stays in the Dominican Republic and they'll be hoping they'll do a cruise and stay instead. I think it will be popular but you need to book a trip, if you're cruising for 2 weeks, on the middle changeover day

Edited by Vitalsign

We visited Amber Cove last year (P&O), didn't spend the day in the new terminal, but went into the local town to explore. As you say, we were advised not to venture out on our own. The line of official taxis were taking passengers and accompanying them for the day. It was well organised and good value. our driver took us to shops we would never have found on our own as well as the town centre church and a beautiful beach.

If they organise the taxis in the same way at La Romana, I wouldn't worry unduly about taking one, but as always, hand onto your bags and don't 'flash the cash'.