Question for Canadian Cruisers

kmhkmb

Hello Canadian Cruisers,

Is it better to have Princess bill you in Canadian funds for your on-board account or have them bill you in US funds instead? I know that Princess claims it is better for them to bill you in Cdn funds but I wondering if that is because it is somewhat profitable for them to do so (since they get to keep the conversion fees). Just thought I would check in with the experts on this one!

Hello Canadian Cruisers,

Is it better to have Princess bill you in Canadian funds for your on-board account or have them bill you in US funds instead? I know that Princess claims it is better for them to bill you in Cdn funds but I wondering if that is because it is somewhat profitable for them to do so (since they get to keep the conversion fees). Just thought I would check in with the experts on this one!

Have always got them to bill in USA funds.It is still cheaper to use just your banks conversion rate...:)

Thanks Kruisey! I suspected as much but I did pause when I noticed that me declining their "Preferred Currency" program showed up on my Boarding Pass - I bet that is an effective strategy for them!

Hi,

There are a couple long threads on here with tips about Canadians cruising.

Yes have them charge in US$. Most banks add 2.5% fee on. Chase cards don't add the fee. Princess' fee and what rate they use is a mystery.

If you bought the cruise in Cad, your conversion rate is fixed - you can buy OBC at that rate - if the rate is better than current market, you save a few dollars.

You can prebuy drink packs and gratuities at that rate too. Do this online in the cruise personalizer.

Shore excursions prepaid are at current rate - better to reserve snd pay on board with OBC, depending on the rates.

I found it less expensive to have it billed in US$, but be careful, last cruise with Celebrity they billed my US$ credit card in C$ (despite being told not to) and then the card converted it back to $US. Cost to me was almost 200US$ for the dual conversion. Apparently the cruise companies make this mistake quite often. Celebrity fixed it in the end after a number of phone calls. Princess has never made that mistake on our cruises with them, but I think with that many payments it probably happens.

Go to CIBC and get a prepaid $US credit card. Load it up before you go and use it on your cruise. No surprises and you know where you are at all times. They are just out now and until March, there is no cost to set up. Check them out online

Hi,

There are a couple long threads on here with tips about Canadians cruising.

Yes have them charge in US$. Most banks add 2.5% fee on. Chase cards don't add the fee. Princess' fee and what rate they use is a mystery.

If you bought the cruise in Cad, your conversion rate is fixed - you can buy OBC at that rate - if the rate is better than current market, you save a few dollars.

You can prebuy drink packs and gratuities at that rate too. Do this online in the cruise personalizer.

Shore excursions prepaid are at current rate - better to reserve snd pay on board with OBC, depending on the rates.

Agree, check Cruise Personalizer for the exchange rate first. Mine is at 1.30C$/1US$, cheaper than current posted rate. I plan to load up on OBC before my cruise, any remaining OBC will be refunded.

Go to CIBC and get a prepaid $US credit card. Load it up before you go and use it on your cruise. No surprises and you know where you are at all times. They are just out now and until March, there is no cost to set up. Check them out online

Banks have terrible foreign exchange rates though. You pay the awful rate when you get these cards.

Banks have terrible foreign exchange rates though. You pay the awful rate when you get these cards.

I use foreign exchange company (NightsBridge). You send them any amount CND and they deposit US into your American account. They beat the heck out of the banks rate. I then transfer the American funds to card. Done. No fees no surprises. Just American funds to use. I can not find a cheaper way to travel. If you find one, please let me know.

We use a Chase Canada credit card for all out of country purchases. Unlike most other banks, they do not add a 2.5 percent uplift to the currency exchange rate. We also use the card for ATM withdrawals. We build up a credit balance and then use a foreign ATM cash advance against this credit. Works out to 1 percent vs. our banks 2.5 percent plus $5. for foreign ATM withdrawals.

We routinely check the Chase Visa exchange rate against the XE foreign exchange web site. The rate is usually correct to the third decimal point. We travel outside the country a fair amount and we usually buy cruises from an on line US TA (if the price is right, which is usually is). We have saved a fair amount of money by using the card. Plus we were able to ditch our US dollar visa that had a $30. annual fee attached to it.