Sushi on 5, my review on Eclipse Oct 2016

FeelingCruisy

First of all, I'm a big fan of all things sushi. I couldn't have been more thrilled when I saw the conversion. However on a recent cruise in Oct on the Constellation, we visited the restaurant twice. I must say I was sadly disappointed. Even though we didn't have to pay anything (Royal S), I did found the pricing to be on the high side. I was told that when they first opened on Constellation, they have the hot noodle soup dishes, the beef sliders, soups. The current menu has removed all of these. NO MISO SOUP in a sushi restaurant? Not kidding, it's true! I tried a few rolls, and everything is cold, including the tempura shrimp roll. Tempura anything is served cold. The only thing that is on the warm side (which I didn't bother) is supposedly the edamame (soy beans). It almost feel like the stove is broken. There is ONE other warm dish which name I don't remember, it's on the appetizer, shrimp something I believe. It was so bad. It's pieces of shrimp and chopped lettuce hidden in a sea of mayonnaise (I'll call this mayo for now).

I tried the sashimi. Really nothing special compared to the free ones you get in the buffet. Sure, there are yellow tails, and salmon, the likes, but again, maybe just a little more variety, (2, at most 3) than what you get from the buffet in the past. (I normally go up to the sushi man in the buffet give him a couple bucks and have him slice me some of the fish they have)

The whole menu is lacking. The rolls, albeit different kinds, all taste similar. So basically, it's sashimi or rolls (lots of mayo in the rolls) on the menu. There's the beef tataki (again, too much mayo). When you order green tea, you get the Jasmine green tea, the same kind you get from Cafe Bacio. Honestly, I've drank a lot of green tea in my lifetime, and what they have is so "not-greentea"! This is a big problem when they can't even get the tea right. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Don't chew my head off if you don't agree.

I'm missing the crepes on Bistro 5!

Edited by FeelingCruisy

Opps, it was on the Constellation.

I guess I mis-typed since we're going on the Eclipse in 3 weeks. Wonder how I can change the heading. Anyway, will give it a go again on Eclipse if the "hot dishes" hasn't been pulled out there as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

First of all, I'm a big fan of all things sushi. I couldn't have been more thrilled when I saw the conversion. However on a recent cruise in Oct on the Constellation, we visited the restaurant twice. I must say I was sadly disappointed. Even though we didn't have to pay anything (Royal S), I did found the pricing to be on the high side. I was told that when they first opened on Constellation, they have the hot noodle soup dishes, the beef sliders, soups. The current menu has removed all of these. NO MISO SOUP in a sushi restaurant? Not kidding, it's true! I tried a few rolls, and everything is cold, including the tempura shrimp roll. Tempura anything is served cold. The only thing that is on the warm side (which I didn't bother) is supposedly the edamame (soy beans). It almost feel like the stove is broken. There is ONE other warm dish which name I don't remember, it's on the appetizer, shrimp something I believe. It was so bad. It's pieces of shrimp and chopped lettuce hidden in a sea of mayonnaise (I'll call this mayo for now).

I tried the sashimi. Really nothing special compared to the free ones you get in the buffet. Sure, there are yellow tails, and salmon, the likes, but again, maybe just a little more variety, (2, at most 3) than what you get from the buffet in the past. (I normally go up to the sushi man in the buffet give him a couple bucks and have him slice me some of the fish they have)

The whole menu is lacking. The rolls, albeit different kinds, all taste similar. So basically, it's sashimi or rolls (lots of mayo in the rolls) on the menu. There's the beef tataki (again, too much mayo). When you order green tea, you get the Jasmine green tea, the same kind you get from Cafe Bacio. Honestly, I've drank a lot of green tea in my lifetime, and what they have is so "not-greentea"! This is a big problem when they can't even get the tea right. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Don't chew my head off if you don't agree.

I'm missing the crepes on Bistro 5!

Correction: It should read review on Constellation

Opps, it was on the Constellation.

I guess I mis-typed since we're going on the Eclipse in 3 weeks. Wonder how I can change the heading. Anyway, will give it a go again on Eclipse if the "hot dishes" hasn't been pulled out there as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Reflection included the hot dishes on the menu two weeks ago. My favorites were the Ramen soaps and the Sashimi. Hopefully it is the same on the Eclipse.

The Reflection included the hot dishes on the menu two weeks ago. My favorites were the Ramen soaps and the Sashimi. Hopefully it is the same on the Eclipse.

I know some have said the food wasn't as good as they expected, but I'm going to hope that you just made a typo on the Ramen soaps :)

Edited by ghstudio

Thanks for the info about the tea in Sushi on Five. Celebrity's Cafe al Bacio stocks Tea Forte which I generally think of as a "gift tea" for the packaging with ok flavor (though not for the price point). Jasmine tea isn't the same kind of tea served with or after a meal in most Japanese restaurants. The free green tea bags are a little flatter and less floral, probably closer to expectation. Tea Forte's Sencha would be an option if they stock it. The brown rice tea might be nice with heartier soup flavors, except your sailing didn't have such options.

What's odd is that I think I've had other green teas in Silk Harvest.

We just tried Sushi on 5 on the Infinity. It was part of a 3 dinner specialty dinner package, supposedly worth $45/pp.

It was the worst meal we've ever had on a cruise ship! As the OP said, nothing was hot. We don't particularly care for sushi but as long as it's cooked, it's fine.

First clue, we arrived at 6 and the place was empty. The waitress said it's really busy for lunch but a few days later we walked by at 1PM and it was still empty.

Asked which foods were hot and the waitress said nothing is cooked on deck 5 because of the life boats. Everything is prepared in a galley a couple of decks below.

Ordered the edamame, but they were out. The Hot Pot was barely lukewarm. Sent it back and they prepared a new batch. As the OP said, it was a mayonnaise type base (way too overpowering) with a few pieces of shrimp and maybe crab. The tempura was cold and soggy.

Anyway, it was terrible. Ended up going to the buffet. No way is this specialty restaurant worth $45/pp!

If I paid $45 for this, I would complain. (We had it free). They could comp you for a different specialty restaurant. Out of the 3, we found the Tuscan Grill to be the nicest. We ate there 3 nights.

It was part of a 3 dinner package, so basically $32pp. We used OBC, so it didn't cost anything out of pocket. We also ate at Tuscan which was OK but we really enjoyed Qsine!