Options for tours out of Melbourne

4774Papa

We are considering a visit to Melbourne prior to a cruise in 2018.

I have a few questions:

1) We would like to visit the Great Ocean Road. I have found a day trip tour that looks good, but I think the tour returns to Melbourne late.

Here is the tour:

Discover the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne on this day trip by coach that allows you to soak up the beauty of one of Australia’s most stunning stretches of coastline. Be wowed by the Twelve Apostles, learn about the tragic history of Loch Ard Gorge, stop in Port Campbell and enjoy photo ops of the rugged scenery throughout the day. A guide provides narration as you drive from site to site.

There is another tour that is far more inclusive and includes two overnights:

Discover some of Victoria’s most spectacular landscapes on this three-day tour of the Great Ocean Road and Grampians National Park. See world-famous surfing beaches, charming seaside towns and the dramatic limestone cliffs of the Twelve Apostles and Australia’s ‘Shipwreck Coast.’ Hike and bushwalk through the majestic Grampians for panoramic lookouts, wildlife sightings and an exploration of indigenous culture. Overnight accommodation, many meals, all park fees and guided transport from Melbourne are included.

I think there may be another tour that has one overnight.

I would appreciate any suggestions on whether or not is it wise to take a tour that includes the Great Ocean Road as a day trip, or plan on one or two overnights for a tour.

2) We also want to visit Phillip Island. Here is a tour that includes one overnight. There are others that do it on a day tour:

Discover the amazing Australian wildlife and natural beauty of two favorite Victoria destinations on this two-day tour from Melbourne. On Phillip Island, get an up-close encounter with kangaroos, koalas and other native species, tour a working heritage farm, and watch the famous Penguin Parade. The next day, travel to Wilsons Promontory National Park for spectacular hikes and bush walks, including a stroll along the aptly named Squeaky Beach. Overnight accommodation, two meals, all park fees and guided transport are included.

Same question as on 1, should we do an overnight or day trip?

3) If we fly into Melbourne, we still need to return to Sydney for our cruise. I found a bus tour that includes sightseeing for the trip, but it is only on a Friday, which probably doesn't fit our schedule. Should we just plan of flying back, take the train or a bus?

In my humble opinion one day is nowhere near enough for The Great Ocean Road.

All the tours that I have found, except one, which I will explain later, spend one day at the Great Ocean Road. The only exception is a four day tour that seems to be a hiking tour.

I did find a tour that is two days, one night with one day at the Great Ocean Road and another that goes to Phillip Island. That might work for use, since there is more time at both locations due to less driving back and forth from/to Melbourne.

We spent several days in Melbourne last February. We took two tours - both with a company called A Tour With A Difference. The first was a one day tour to the Great Ocean Road. It was a very long day but we were able to see everything we wanted to. The van was very comfortable and we had an excellent guide. We had considered renting a car and doing it ourselves over 3-4 days. We were glad we opted to take the tour. The guide knew exactly where to go and where to park

We also used the company to see the Penguin Parade. We were the only two booked on that tour and they took us anyway. The owner, Grace, was our guide that day and we had a great day. Since we were the only ones on the tour, Grace was willing to make extra stops - including a look at some model homes. We have traveled extensively and these were two of the best tours we have taken. It is a great company and I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We spent several days in Melbourne last February. We took two tours - both with a company called A Tour With A Difference. The first was a one day tour to the Great Ocean Road. It was a very long day but we were able to see everything we wanted to. The van was very comfortable and we had an excellent guide. We had considered renting a car and doing it ourselves over 3-4 days. We were glad we opted to take the tour. The guide knew exactly where to go and where to park

We also used the company to see the Penguin Parade. We were the only two booked on that tour and they took us anyway. The owner, Grace, was our guide that day and we had a great day. Since we were the only ones on the tour, Grace was willing to make extra stops - including a look at some model homes. We have traveled extensively and these were two of the best tours we have taken. It is a great company and I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What time did you return to your hotel in Melbourne after both tours?

I'd agree with Gut, one day isn't enough for the Great Ocean Road. If you're pressed for time, I'd skip Wilson's Promontory in favour of going west - the Prom is lovely, but (IMO) the best areas by far are those that can only be reached by a fair hike - anything from maybe 8-10km up to a 2-3 day circuit. If you are into bushwalking, there are some lovely - or were, it's a long time since I've been able to hike, but I assume the tracks are still maintained - walks down around Lorne - I'd guess any GOR tour would be bound to stop there. It's further, but do any of the tours go as far as Warrnambool? I ask only as those you've mentioned all talk about the Shipwreck Coast - and Warrnambool has a wonderful maritime museum that covers the history of all these.

What's your reason for wanting to see Phillip Island? If it's mainly for the penguin parade, you could think about going to St Kilda instead - it's much closer to town, not far at all from the CBD, and would free up a wee bit of time for you to do other things.

What sort of things are you interested in? There are also plenty of areas (e.g. The Dandenongs, the Yarra Valley) close to Melbourne that might be worth a look depending on what takes your fancy - some I'm sure you'd be able to get on a tour, otherwise they're a pretty easy drive if you were to look at hiring a car.

And would definitely fly back to Sydney. If you get a decent deal on your flights it probably won't cost you much more than the train, and it's a bloody long drive :eek::eek:

We did a self directed Aussie tour last march. Viator - great ocean road with lunch was awesome. Long day - saw koalas in the wild, old forest, pure air, 12 apostles, great great day and not expensive. We also did, viator Borassa valley by doing 2 tours we got 10% discount. Would recommend. We spent 3 days in Brisbane, 4 in Melbourne, 3 in Adelaide and 6 in Sydney. A good but quick mix.

The drive between Melbourne and Sydney is LOOONG (I've driven it a few times) and doing it on a bus would be even longer. Train travel is also slow with spotty service. Definitely fly.

Driving straight through about 10-12 hours.

Thanks for all the advice. I found a lot of tours on Viator, which we have used quite a bit all over the World. Also, I found the tour that includes Great Ocean Road and another that goes to Phillip Island (penguins) on one trip with an overnight.

Both of those places sounded great, but would not want to stay 3-4 days there. I did see another tour that included the Yarra Valley that sounded interesting. Also, we will do a tour of Melbourne as well.

I understand flying back to Sydney is probably the cheapest and fastest, but if the train trip is scenic, we would still be interested in doing that, perhaps stopping off in Canberra for one night.

We are planning about five days for Melbourne and the surrounding area before returning to Sydney for our cruise. We don't want to rent a car and drive. I have driven on the left, in the UK and can manage it fine, but we would prefer tours.

I understand flying back to Sydney is probably the cheapest and fastest, but if the train trip is scenic, we would still be interested in doing that, perhaps stopping off in Canberra for one night.

Again only IMO - but not particularly. There are some nice towns along the way, but I don't think the train stops long enough in any for you to really have a good look around. The time of year you're traveling might have some bearing too...if it's going to be in our summer/early autumn, a lot of the landscape will be crispy brown. Not sure if the interstate trains are quite as bad as the metro ones - but our trains in Melbourne are a rather bad joke in hot weather (as soon as temps hit the mid 30s, the whole network seems to start shutting down :eek::rolleyes: )

Also - I could be wrong - have only caught the train once and it was a long time ago, but I don't think it goes directly to Canberra. Might still suit you, but I think you've got to stop off somewhere along the way and catch a bus as well. I can't get the NSW Train Link site to work at present, but that should have the info yo need, or one of the NSW or ACT folk on the board will know I'm sure :)

Yarra Valley is worth a look, particularly if you like your wine (not that I'm biased or anything...it's my neck of the woods ;) )