Viking China

2tsquared

I have been busy reading this thread in preparation for my China trip (Roof of the World) in a few weeks time, but have two questions I would greatly appreciate some advice on:

1) Most people who have posted here are from the US, so taking mostly or all Dollars makes a lot of sense. As I am from the UK and will be exchanging money whatever would you recommend I take mostly Dollars, mostly Yuan, 50/50, etc. ? This is for street and smaller shop purchases and for tips other than the ones on the ship

2) How are meals included in the Viking package handled in the hotels? Do the staff there know you are with Viking and not to charge?

Thanks

Sean :)

Hi Sean - We went 2 years ago. We took lots of small denomination dollars (we weren't very popular in M & S as they had to count them all out:D). We also took Yuan for the street vendors (but many of them wanted dollars) and shop purchases. We used Yuan for tips in the hotels. We took about 50/50 but towards the end of the trip tried to use Yuan as we would use the dollars on future trips but maybe not the Yuan!!

All our meals were included - at breakfast (all buffets) we just gave our room number on entering the dining room and at dinner we were seated in reserved seating so we just charged drinks to our room.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

Hi Sean - We went 2 years ago. We took lots of small denomination dollars (we weren't very popular in M & S as they had to count them all out:D). We also took Yuan for the street vendors (but many of them wanted dollars) and shop purchases. We used Yuan for tips in the hotels. We took about 50/50 but towards the end of the trip tried to use Yuan as we would use the dollars on future trips but maybe not the Yuan!!

All our meals were included - at breakfast (all buffets) we just gave our room number on entering the dining room and at dinner we were seated in reserved seating so we just charged drinks to our room.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

Hi Brenda. Very helpful reply thank you so much. Thanks to Romeosc too

Sean :)

Wonder what happened to my Reply button?

Just wanted to mention that we were able to use dollars everywhere (if you don't mind entering these into the Chinese economy) except taxis....they wanted only Yuans. At the airport, we did not have time to convert money there but we were going straight to the hotel, where there was an ATM.

Greetings!

We leave soon for the Imperial Jewels tour/cruise. We will want to phone home a time or two to check on family. Has anyone purchased calling cards? Other suggestions other than lugging the laptop?

Thank you!

Greetings!

We leave soon for the Imperial Jewels tour/cruise. We will want to phone home a time or two to check on family. Has anyone purchased calling cards? Other suggestions other than lugging the laptop?

Thank you!

I used RbelPhone sim in my jailbroke iphone:

http://www.rebelfone.com/china_simcards.aspx?couId=38

RebelFone's Service Major Carriers Local Prepaid Incoming Calls $0.15min $2.29min $0.17min National Calls $0.15min $2.29min $0.12min Calls to USA $0.45min $2.29min $0.67min

Hi

Are you on the April 3rd tour?

Thank you!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice again. I ordered my rebelfone and just rented one of their phones as well for 1. a day. It's so worth it when you look at what verizon is charging.

Thank you!

I used RbelPhone sim in my jailbroke iphone:

http://www.rebelfone.com/china_simcards.aspx?couId=38

RebelFone's Service Major Carriers Local Prepaid Incoming Calls $0.15min $2.29min $0.17min National Calls $0.15min $2.29min $0.12min Calls to USA $0.45min $2.29min $0.67min

Hi, Are you on the April 3rd tour?

Greetings!

Thank you!

Do you mean April 6th? Our trip starts the 6th in Beijing and ends in Shanghai on the 17th. Are you taking this trip?

You are on the same trip as a friend and I. Its nice to see someone else from Cruise Critic on the same trip.

What time do you arrive in Bejing?

We will arrive at 4:15pm and are staying at the Westin Financial Street Hotel.

You are on the same trip as a friend and I. Its nice to see someone else from Cruise Critic on the same trip.

What time do you arrive in Bejing?

We will arrive at 4:15pm and are staying at the Westin Financial Street Hotel.

We arrive at 2:40 and are staying at the Ritz Carlson. Interesting... I thought that we were all assigned to a certain group/bus/tour director but assumed we'd be at the same hotel. I wonder if we'll ever meet! :)

We arrive at 2:40 and are staying at the Ritz Carlson. Interesting... I thought that we were all assigned to a certain group/bus/tour director but assumed we'd be at the same hotel. I wonder if we'll ever meet! :)

I thought we would all be at the same hotel also.

I am travelling with a girlfriend as her husband doesn't want to go to China so if you see two women in the group you will know one of them is me, unless there are other women travelling alone also.

We leave in less than 6 hours! Beijing, here we come! I don't plan on posting on the trip, but will have LOTS to say upon return. I am a big-time shopper and I will definitely post the great deals I find, and where I found them. We plan on passing up the Peking Duck dinner upon recommendations here, and we will probably shop that evening. Will be traveling with DH and another couple.:)

You will probably run into each other on the ship. If you do the Tai Chi exercises you will definitely meet as the group tends to get smaller and smaller as the cruise continues.:)

My friend is going to Tai Chi, I may go, not sure yet.

Did you fly with Air Canada when you went on this trip?

On the flight to Bejing, Air Canada is operated by Air China. It says only one piece of carryon luggage so I wonder if we are allowed a purse.

On the flight back it is Air Canada so I am wondering if besides the one piece of checked baggage we will be allowed one small bag also.

I always take a foldup bag in case I buy something to bring home and then I check it.

My friend is going to Tai Chi, I may go, not sure yet.

Did you fly with Air Canada when you went on this trip?

On the flight to Bejing, Air Canada is operated by Air China. It says only one piece of carryon luggage so I wonder if we are allowed a purse.

On the flight back it is Air Canada so I am wondering if besides the one piece of checked baggage we will be allowed one small bag also.

I always take a foldup bag in case I buy something to bring home and then I check it.

No we flew Cathay Pacific. It would have been nicer to have flown directly to Beijing. We did the add on tour to Bangkok and Siem Reap which is no longer offered which may have been the reason that we flew Cathay Pacific.

Air Canada will allow you two bags when you fly home so take the extra bag.

Carry on limit does not include your purse. We found that they were less fussy about carry ons than they were with the checked luggage.

You are welcome. It is a fascinating tour and you will enjoy it very much. Make sure the US dollars you take with you are fairly new as they do not like used bills in China. We would like to go back in a few years time just to see how much more China will change.

I got the bank to get me new US bills.

......or print your own on your printer! LOL

ps. the guides will instruct you not to take some money in change from street vendors because bogus money is so prevalent.

Enjoy your trip .... some of our pictures can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc

Thanks. Those are great pictures.

What month did you go?

Archived