Viking China

2tsquared

We are taking the 4/25/11 Viking Jewels trip and, although, I have a post out there trying to find others, no luck yet. Is anyone on this board taking the 4/25/11 trip. This is a super thread and I'm enjoying reading about everyone's plans and past experiences.

We were going to take the 4/25 but that is Easter Sunday so we delayed til the 5/2. Look forward to seeing the new ship and really getting excited.

Don't they say they include the dinner on that night. Would assume that if opera is an extra that they would provide dinner at the hotel?

If you choose not to attend either of the optional dinners, then dinner at your hotel is included. Not an organized event, just eat in the hotel restaurant when you want to.

Just back last night from Jewels.....FANTASTIC trip.......you will all love China.....any questions, fire away !!!!

What was the most surprising good thing? And the most surprising bad thing? What do you wish someone had told you before you went? What did you take that you shouldn't have? What didn't you take that you would have wanted? -- You know, the usual!! ;)

What was the most surprising good thing? And the most surprising bad thing? What do you wish someone had told you before you went? What did you take that you shouldn't have? What didn't you take that you would have wanted? -- You know, the usual!! ;)

the school visit was wonderful, I was totally surpirsed by how much I enjoyed it, kids are kids no mattter where you are, they were off for the week, for National Day, and about 60 of them came in for us...bad thing, not really bad, I love all kinds of food, chineese being on of my favorites, and the food, in the local resteraunts was just "ok"......I wish I would have spent more time with my trainer LOL, it is a very busy 12 days.....I wish I would have had suncreen LOL....I got LOTS of sun.....Im glad I took lots of of Kleenexs that doubled as TP

All in all....FANTASTIC trip, you will love it

:D

the school visit was wonderful, I was totally surpirsed by how much I enjoyed it, kids are kids no mattter where you are, they were off for the week, for National Day, and about 60 of them came in for us...bad thing, not really bad, I love all kinds of food, chineese being on of my favorites, and the food, in the local resteraunts was just "ok"......I wish I would have spent more time with my trainer LOL, it is a very busy 12 days.....I wish I would have had suncreen LOL....I got LOTS of sun.....Im glad I took lots of of Kleenexs that doubled as TP

All in all....FANTASTIC trip, you will love it

:D

Great info, thanks!

Thanks JackieSue66 for the Kleenex tip -- I usually take one package with me but I'll make sure I take a few more.

Did anyone in your group have problems with thefts? Some of the reading I've done says to carry your money under your clothes and not to carry a even an over the shoulder bag -- any comments?

What kind of adaptor is required -- I have a CPAP machine that I have to use.

Thanks.

Thanks JackieSue66 for the Kleenex tip -- I usually take one package with me but I'll make sure I take a few more.

Did anyone in your group have problems with thefts? Some of the reading I've done says to carry your money under your clothes and not to carry a even an over the shoulder bag -- any comments?

What kind of adaptor is required -- I have a CPAP machine that I have to use.

Thanks.

I used a CPAP there is american style plugs at all hotels and at least one in each cabin... I brought 2 cheap 12 foot extension cords just in case. Left them there to save weight for purchases.

NO THEFTS or security problems. People were wonderful and helpful, feel free to wander anywhere... just take a card from hotel and a few YUAN for cabs. Cabs were cheap $2 gets you almost anywhere (NO Dollars accepted by locals)

Make sure to take small gifts from home for the school kids. We brought some old Jaycee Pins with Elvis on them and refrigerator magnets to give to local host that showed us their home! She has them from all around world! We brought a bag of bubble gum(really for us) , but we gave about 300 pieces out to kids. One gave us some nasty candy as a gift... we acted like we ate it, so as not to seem ungrateful.

Take lots of $1 bills to negotiate with vendors!

Suitcase quantity and weight are NO concern! We came with 4 Suitcases (2 inside) and 2 carryons. We came back with 4 full suitcase and 4 carryons, including a 5 by 10 foot silk rug! We had a backback with 40 fake Terra Cotta warriors we bought at vendors at imperial gardens. they sold a nice set of 4 for 10 YUAN ($1.30) I discarded boxes and wrapped in newspaper and all made it home intact! Cheap 30 cent gifts.......(LOL)

Mont Blanc (LOL) pins ,scarves, fans,etc were$1

Some pictures can be found here: (Quantity NOT QUALITY)

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/TerraCottaWarriors?feat=directlink

Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version Name: Romeo Placque 1.jpg Views: 2 Size: 11.7 KB ID: 171180 Click image for larger version Name: Romeo Placque 2.jpg Views: 2 Size: 21.4 KB ID: 171181

Thanks for the great info on the schools. I have stickers and bookmarks, but not 300--hate for some, but not others to get goodies, but I guess they get lots of stuff from many people so it all works out. So glad you all enjoyed the trip. Would love to ask questions, thanks! How hard is it to find cheap duffles/luggage in Shanghai or Beijing for the trip back in case I do some shopping? How much walking around at night did you do? (trying to figure out how much warm clothing to bring) Does it get cold on the boat? I'm a vegetarian (no fish, fowl, dairy, meat)--will I have any problems finding vegetables on the menus? I understand there are US-style outlets and adapters available - but are there voltage convertors in hotels/on boat? I hear there are hefty bank fees for using ATMs. Is it better to get Yuan at my bank in NYC than to wait and get it at the hotel? How's the internet connection in hotels?/on boat? If you drive by the expo, do you get a good sense of it or is it worth it to brave the lines at night (I've heard night is best time to go for shortest lines). We're staying a few extra days in Beijing - how convenient is the hotel (China World in financial ctr.)? We might stay on there or I've read great things about Cote Cour, a chamring boutique courtyard hotel in the Hutong area. Is that a better location once we're on our own. thanks a million!

How hard is it to find cheap duffles/luggage in Shanghai or Beijing for the trip back in case I do some shopping? Not hard in Beijing if staying at the China World Hotel, especially if you go underground a couple of floors or to a nearby shopping center. Not sure about the pricing. Also not hard if staying in the Pudong area in Shanghai.

How much walking around at night did you do? (trying to figure out how much warm clothing to bring) Does it get cold on the boat? We were there in August. Cold was not a problem.

I'm a vegetarian (no fish, fowl, dairy, meat)--will I have any problems finding vegetables on the menus? No, and work with your guide and the ship's headwaiter to have meals prepared to meet your needs. Also make sure your guide will work with any off-the-ship meal venue to secure a vegetarian menu for you. And if you have a friend who can write in Mandarin Chinese, have him/her write a note for you indicating your vegetarian needs. This can be helpful when eating off the ship.

I understand there are US-style outlets and adapters available - but are there voltage convertors in hotels/on boat? Yes, but you need to ask for them at the front desk.

I hear there are hefty bank fees for using ATMs. Is it better to get Yuan at my bank in NYC than to wait and get it at the hotel? Best to get it at an ATM in China, either at the airport or in a hotel. Any hefty fees will be what your bank charges, not what the Chinese charge.

How's the internet connection in hotels?/on boat? On the boat it was slow (think dial-up speeds) mpost of the time. They have four PCs to use. No WIFI. In the hotels there was either WIFI or cable connection. Speed was better.

If you drive by the expo, do you get a good sense of it or is it worth it to brave the lines at night (I've heard night is best time to go for shortest lines). We drove by the Expo and the only sense we got was it was big. They average over 300,000 visitors a day there. Lines for the popular exhibits are 4-5 hours long. Lines for the less popular exhibits are 1-2 hours long. You can bypass the line and get into the exhibit of your own country by presenting your passport. People that went a few days before the Viking tour started says the expo was not worth the time involved. You will not have free evening time in Shanghai once the Viking part of the tour starts.

We're staying a few extra days in Beijing - how convenient is the hotel (China World in financial ctr.)? There is a subway stop very near the hotel.

We might stay on there or I've read great things about Cote Cour, a chamring boutique courtyard hotel in the Hutong area. Is that a better location once we're on our own. I have no idea.

See above

It was not a problem, but as always you need to be aware of your surroundings if you are here in the states or in a foreign country, I have a backpack that is "cutproof" and locks, I have had it a few years, so that makes me more comnfortable......it is fairly crowded wherever you go, just be aware and you wont have any issues. My mom and I split our $$ so we each had a little every day, left the rest at the hotel or the boat in the afe...........................

Our guide, Bob, was very concerned about pick-pockets, particularly in urban areas, and continually warned us to be aware of anyone coming near us, distracting us, or touching us. He reminded us over and over ("....sigh...okay we get it.") but sure enough, we were in a crowd and he challenged people that were moving in too close....he even brought to our attention that we were being followed. (That's probably the person he challenged.)

Bob did not make us fearful, but aware of our surroundings. Frankly, I don't know how he did it but he seemed to know where everyone was, and who was nearby. If we went off on our own he reminded us of "safety first." He took a VERY personal interest in our security, and we felt very confident with his guidance. The VOX headset went a long way to keep us all together and aware.

I think if you use common sense and security precautions (have the phone numbers for credit card companies, guard your PINs, don't carry too much cash, stick with a buddy, etc.) and be in tune with your guide, you will have a safe trip. I did have an over-the-shoulder tote bag, but nothing too valuable inside.

Best wishes for a great trip....wish I was going AGAIN!

Maddle

Welcome back to Ohio. Glad your trip was wonderful. We're taking the Beijing to Shanghai version 4/25/11. Which direction did you travel? A few questions, please.

Did you allow Viking to choose your airline? If so, were the connections good? How long was the flight each way? One or two stops from Ohio? We could fly out of either Cinti or Cols since we're in southern Ohio. Which carrier and which airport was selected for you--or did you do custom air? I checked today to determine the upcharge for Biz Class. In addition to the $1047, it would have been an additional $1299 pp. So I think we'll just tough it out in economy.

When were your hotels selected for you? Satisfied?

How many people were in your group? Happy with your guide? I was told I should request Daniel--don't know if they allow "requests."

What were your best purchases for gifts or for yourself did you come home with? Best place to buy souveniers?

Did you stay additional days, pre or post?

Thanks for your help. It's good to have a pioneer share info,

Welcome back to Ohio. Glad your trip was wonderful. We're taking the Beijing to Shanghai version 4/25/11. Which direction did you travel? A few questions, please.- We went From Shanghai to Beijing, and I am glad we did, the Beijing part of the trip is alot of walking, so after the 14 hour flight I was glad that we did Shanghai first!!!!

Did you allow Viking to choose your airline? If so, were the connections good? How long was the flight each way? One or two stops from Ohio? We could fly out of either Cinti or Cols since we're in southern Ohio. Which carrier and which airport was selected for you--or did you do custom air? I checked today to determine the upcharge for Biz Class. In addition to the $1047, it would have been an additional $1299 pp. So I think we'll just tough it out in economy.- We flew Cleveland to Chicago to Shanghai, and then Beijing, to Chicago to Cleveland....Viking picked the times and we were very lucky, out of Cleveland at 6am, three hours in the windy city and direct to Shanghai, landed at 1pm, so we had the day, back we did'nt fly out until 410pm and I was home in bed by 1130 that night....we flew business on United (used some of our Continental miles to upgrade)

When were your hotels selected for you? Satisfied?-More than Satisfied, Viking uses 5 star hotels...Shanghai we stayed at the Grand Hyatt, Xi'an we stayed at the Kempinski and in Bejing we stayed at the Westin!!!

How many people were in your group? Happy with your guide? I was told I should request Daniel--don't know if they allow "requests."-To my knowledge they dont allow requests, but Im not sure of that, we had Riqui, and he was FANTASTIC!!!!!! I would use him again in a split second

What were your best purchases for gifts or for yourself did you come home with? Best place to buy souveniers?-there are lots of places to buy, if you have a few hours ( all you need) go to the silk road in Beijing, there are 4 levels, top floor most $$ , but not in comparison......We bought terracottta warriors, 6 inches high at the museum store ( about 30 each) you can barter everywhere, except the hotels, your guide will tell you, there are tons of places to get inexpensive gifts ( 1$ to 5$) and if you feel like dropping a bundle, silk rugs are the way to go.......my mom got some jade, but no jewlery, so go things that she can sit on her fireplace etc.........you will have no problem finding some neat things and not spending lots of $$$, we each brought $150.00 ones, and I came home with most, use the ones for tipping etc your local tour guides.....credit cards are ok in many of the shops, your tour guide will tell you when you can use them and when you shouldnt ....we also got silk robes...paid about $24.00 each, they started at $75.00

Did you stay additional days, pre or post? -no we did not do Hong Kong, and to be honest, I was glad to come home, it was a fabulous trip, but glad we didnt do any longer ( also, my mom and I had done hong kong a few years back)

Thanks for your help. It's good to have a pioneer share info,

Let me know if you have any other ???, you will have a blast !!!!

Jackie Sue: What grand info!! It is talking with people like you and other posters that builds the excitement. We've not done the Asian area so are looking forward to it. We're doing the Hong Kong extension and were just talking about staying a couple extra nights in Tokyo since our plane will stop there enroute HKG to CVG. Don't think husband is crazy about the idea though.

Re your using Continental miles to upgrade to biz, that is what I had inquired about with Viking; however, it was to be an additional $1300 pp plus 50,000 miles pp for the Delta upgrade. Did you pay an additional upcharge in addition to the $947 or $1047--plus your Contential miles? United has some great routes/times, unfortunately our miles are with Delta.

Thanks, too, for the tips on the souvenirs. Did you think Beijing was the best place to buy the bulk of the treasures. Don't want to get to Shanghai at the end and wish I'd made most of my purchases back in Beijing!

Doing final packing today - leave island tomorrow and fly out 3:00 am Tuesday morning for Shanghai. Hope I've remembered everything.

Weather looks pretty good but taking umbrellas just in case. First few days will be low 20's (70's) with sun and cloudy periods. Should be good touring weather if it holds for the two weeks!

Doing final packing today - leave island tomorrow and fly out 3:00 am Tuesday morning for Shanghai. Hope I've remembered everything.

Weather looks pretty good but taking umbrellas just in case. First few days will be low 20's (70's) with sun and cloudy periods. Should be good touring weather if it holds for the two weeks!

Have a great trip.

now the excitement and nerves are starting to set in -- hope I can get some sleep tonight because I won't get much tomorrow night with boarding at 3:00 am.

Have a wonderful time and bring back lots of tips for us future travelers.

Sharon

Jackie Sue: What grand info!! It is talking with people like you and other posters that builds the excitement. We've not done the Asian area so are looking forward to it. We're doing the Hong Kong extension and were just talking about staying a couple extra nights in Tokyo since our plane will stop there enroute HKG to CVG. Don't think husband is crazy about the idea though.......Tell him to have a drink and ENJOY it =)

Re your using Continental miles to upgrade to biz, that is what I had inquired about with Viking; however, it was to be an additional $1300 pp plus 50,000 miles pp for the Delta upgrade. Did you pay an additional upcharge in addition to the $947 or $1047--plus your Contential miles? United has some great routes/times, unfortunately our miles are with Delta.-We only had to pay a $50.00 processing fee , Im about the highest you can go on Continental on the rewards chart, so it just took a couple phone calls to the right person =)

Thanks, too, for the tips on the souvenirs. Did you think Beijing was the best place to buy the bulk of the treasures. Don't want to get to Shanghai at the end and wish I'd made most of my purchases back in Beijing!- My mom and I bought stuff pretty much all along the way, Beijing is a great place to shop, but trust me there will be places all along the way

Until January 9, 2011, the Peabody Essex Museum (in Salem, MA) is offering a bit of the Forbidden City that you won't/didn't see when you are/were there. For those who can't make it to the museum; there are a couple of videos on the PEM website. All of these works have been restored.

http://www.pem.org/exhibitions/109-the_emperors_private_paradise_treasures_from_the_forbidden_city

07a_mural_copy1.jpg04a_throne.jpg

On top of the special exhibit, the PEM collection focuses on art and artifacts from the period of time when Boston area merchant seamen were sailing to Asia for trade. Among other things, the museum is chock full of porcelain, especially the varieties that were produced for export to the West. The museum also includes a Chinese house that is open for touring.

We plan a trip in to China Oct next year. The Main reason is my father- Don lived in WuChang in 1933-1936. However the boat we plan is Victoria Prince.I notice the date is 2006 . So I am hoping someone might be interested in exchanging information this year or start a new thread

I am a member of PEM the museum has a loverly China Home that reminds me of my father's home in China.We are planning a visit to PEM in the next few weeks for the exhibit.Salem Ma is a great city to visit due to naval merchant in late 1700's.

Archived