Viking China

2tsquared

The following is what I did when we were in China. I had no problems, so you should be “ok”.

For USA/Japan/Thailand/China/Aust/Mid-Asia, push the button to the “unlock” position. The plug will flip out, then swivel the push to the angle you want then push the button to the “lock” position. After using it, push the button to the “unlock” position and push back the plug into the hole, then push the button back to the “lock” position.

Thanks Dale,

Just got out the adapter to see what you was saying. I forgot that some prongs could be twisted. For those wanting to purchase an adapter, I looked on ebay and a Aust/China adapter can be bought for $2 to $4 or this adapter that Dale & myself have can be used in most countries and purchased for $2 plus $2 mailing on amazon.

As has been mentioned an adapter is not a converter, but in most cases that is not a problem, many appliances today are dual voltage. Check your owners manual or manufacturers website if in doubt.

I'm just beginning to peruse this thread which is SOOO long, but a wealth of info. The adapter information is very helpful. Just returned from a Galapagos trip which had a similar five-year thread

Did Galapagos a year ago. That thread was great as this one is. Galapagos is a one of a kind cruise (excellent).

Did a Celebrity TA xing this fall and that thread had more than 10,000 posts.

Paul

I'm just beginning to peruse this thread which is SOOO long, but a wealth of info. The adapter information is very helpful. Just returned from a Galapagos trip which had a similar five-year thread--can be hard to find what you're looking for. I don't find the CC search tool very user-friendly.

I have started a roll call for our April 21 "Roof of the World" but no joiners so far. There is a roll call for April 25 "Imperial Jewels" and we will overlap with those folks on the Yangtze. I am especially concerned about altitude issues in Tibet and would appreciate any feedback from previous Tibet travelers. We are considering meds (diamox) for that part of the trip. Lots of water and no alcohol (darn). Any other advice?

11/2010 Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos

10/2010 Celebrity Solstice E. Caribbean

11/2009 Azamara Quest Ancient Empires

12/2008 Seabourn Legend Panama Canal

12/2007 Celebrity Millennium Spain and T/A Westbound

10/2004 Chardonnay Provence

7/2001 Wilderness Discoverer Alaska

7/1999 A&K Chanterelle Burgundy

5/1998 Princess Dawn Princess Reposition Pacific NW

8/1996 QE2 T/A Eastbound

7/1995 HAL Maasdam Baltic

4/1995 NCL West. Caribbean

3/1994 Star Clipper Windward Islands

3/1992 RCCL Song of America West. Caribbean

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness”—Mark Twain

• Use your sig file to 'advertise' your roll call--and this thread. The above announcement will be found only by those who find their way here but a link in your signature file will be seen each time you post, every time you post.

• On the long, long threads like this one, you aren't obligated to read the whole thing. You only need to read back a year or so--and sometimes not even back that far. Not only is much of the same information repeated over and over and over again but also add that things change so rapidly that even some of the advice from two years ago is obsolete already. Viking is constantly fine-tuning the experience. For example, in 2008, three evening shows were included in the package. However, based on comments from passengers by 2010, two of the shows were now paid optional excursions.

I am especially concerned about altitude issues in Tibet and would appreciate any feedback from previous Tibet travelers. We are considering meds (diamox) for that part of the trip. Lots of water and no alcohol (darn). Any other advice?
Only the most experienced of Viking's guides are allowed to take tours to Lhasa. Your guide will tell you everything you need to know, such as making sure you take it easy and not having overly hot or long showers, etc. If you start to feel ill tell your guide and he/she will take care of you and arrange medical assistance if needed. Your hotel will have an on-site Doctor and the few people from my group who were unfortunate enough to need to see her were all suitably impressed with the care they received (and the cheapness of the bill).

I took a full course of Diamox to cover me while I was in Tibet. I started taking them the day before and stopped after the first day in Lhasa. I was experiencing very bad pins and needles (tingling) in my hands and feet, which was pretty painful at night and stopped me from sleeping. This is one of the side-affects, but it was more painful than I was expecting. I've mentioned before that I was considerably younger than most members of my tour and was not affected by the altitude much at all. I simply felt a little short of breath if I was overdoing things and sometimes felt a little light headed for a few seconds when walking into a building from outside and vice versa.

The important thing is not to worry too much. You will most likely be fine and if you are affected then you are in the best hands and will be looked after. I would recommend getting the medication and start taking it the day before and see how you feel once you have been in Lhasa for a day or so.

Sean :)

Are you talking about just the China cruise, or all Viking River Cruises? I know last year in Burgundy, wine was definitely NOT included with dinner, as we had quite the bill on departure! That was one of the things that attracted us to the China cruise... and 2-for-1 airfare.

Susan

Maybe it was being in wine country? Our wine was included on the Waterways of the Czars also.

I haven't seen this addressed yet in the messages I've seen, but did you encounter squat toilets on the tour, or were there mostly western toilets available?

Most places had at least one western style toilet available. In the hotels for lunch, there was no problem at all. Ditto the fancy souvenir shops. At the roadside rest stops, the line could be long for that one western style.

Be sure to bring your own supply of toilet tissue with you each day. Some of the facilities may not have any for you to use.

Most places had at least one western style toilet available. In the hotels for lunch, there was no problem at all. Ditto the fancy souvenir shops. At the roadside rest stops, the line could be long for that one western style.

Be sure to bring your own supply of toilet tissue with you each day. Some of the facilities may not have any for you to use.

Did you have to pay to use any of the toilets? Was there English writing indicating a toilet or just a male/female sign?

Did you have to pay to use any of the toilets? Was there English writing indicating a toilet or just a male/female sign?

Do not fully remember if had to pay. Certainly not in a hotel, restaurant, or souvenir shop. There may have been an outsidev attendant at a couple of places, but do not remember for sure.

There was always either English or a male/female figure. Often just look for the line of people.

Has anyone taken the Maglev train in Shanghai to the airport? If so, would you recommend it; did you have any problems? (We aren't using a Viking transfer, so this would be an option for us. Just trying to figure out if it would be worth doing, rather than just taking a cab to the airport, as we'd have to take a cab to the train station. This will be at the end of our trip, we'll have all our luggage, so there's a "schlep" factor to consider.)

Thanks for any info!

Ditto to Steve and Wally. It is the only thread I read while planning and I still get daily digests to keep up with it.

If you do start a new thread, please post a link here.

I started a thread for the May 12 cruise, but I'm not sure I did it right. When I call up my list of subscribed threads it is marked as closed. Could you go to the ROLL CALL board and see if there is a message from me for that cruise?

I started a thread for the May 12 cruise, but I'm not sure I did it right. When I call up my list of subscribed threads it is marked as closed. Could you go to the ROLL CALL board and see if there is a message from me for that cruise?

Viking Emerald, Shanghai to Beijing - May 12, 2011

It's there, Paul

Has anyone stayed at the Ritz in Beijing? Is it near anything that you would want to walk to see?

it is attached to an upscale mall, but otherwise is in the financial district and nothing touristy, nor or there any nice restaurants/bars nearby to walk to. Nice hotel, but location was a disappointment for these reasons.

[The Ritz] is attached to an upscale mall, but otherwise is in the financial district and nothing touristy, nor or there any nice restaurants/bars nearby to walk to. Nice hotel, but location was a disappointment for these reasons.

Thanks for the info. So for the Viking arrival night at the Ritz (for those of us startnig the trip in Beijing), which is dinner on our own, what do you recommend for dinner? (Hotel restaurant? Take a cab somewhere?) Thanks!

How long did it take you to get your passports back with visa after you sent it in/

Living in a city with a consulate, we did it ourselves. The visa was ready 5 business days after we dropped off the passports.

If you are using a service, it would seem like you should get them in your hands within 7 business days after they receive them from you.

Do we need any shots for this trip?? I am reading the old posts and keep seeing references to shots and people getting sick - any ideas??

Judy

There are no required shots for those from the USA.

However, there are always, no matter where you travel, suggested shots.

See the CDC web site at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.aspx for more information.

Thanks for the info. So for the Viking arrival night at the Ritz (for those of us startnig the trip in Beijing), which is dinner on our own, what do you recommend for dinner? (Hotel restaurant? Take a cab somewhere?) Thanks!

we were all a bit tired, so just ate in the hotel restaurant the first night. I'm sure the concierge desk could recommend a local restaurant and taxi ride for you. But not anything in close proximity that I saw, without taxi ride.

Your new roll call is doing just fine and it hasn't been closed. Roll calls don't tend to get closed even after the cruise and duplicate roll calls for the same date can be merged. Things have to get pretty bad on a thread for the moderators to have to go as far as actually closing a thread. A blue envelope in front of a thread means no new posts; a closed thread has a padlock on it.

Archived