Lifeboat View

clarkie02360

I'm booked in cabin 4132 on Nieuw Amsterdam. It's one of the 4 long/ bigger balcony's on deck 4. I'm wondering if anyone has experience on how bad the view is? I've seen the pic's on Hal Facts but it doesn't portray the view in relationship to the Lifeboats. Any insight CC members?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been in one of these obstructed view rooms, but I have seen pictures posted on Cruise Critic. The ones I saw, had the view completely obstructed. No view at all. The only value of these rooms is that you could let in some natural light. But you have got to like the color orange.

The ones I saw, had the view completely obstructed. No view at all.
4132 is not like that. It is only is obstructed by the lifeboats if you try to look forward from along the side railing. When you are out at the end railing, the view is like any of the balconies aft of it (4134 to 4174), but about 14 ft deep. Most side balconies have a solid wall on both sides, so you get more view from this balcony than from most.

One slight disadvantage is that a large part of the balcony is exposed to view from above and somewhat from 4130 next door. See this picture I took from the window of Eurodam 4130:

http://halfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMGP0722.jpg

Also see http://halfacts.com/signature-class/4054-eurodam/ for pictures of an equivalent balcony at the forward end.

Edited by jtl513

4132 is not like that. It is only is obstructed by the lifeboats if you try to look forward from along the side railing. When you are out at the end railing, it is just like any of the balconies aft of it, 4134 to 4174, but about 14 ft deep. One slight disadvantage is that a large part of the balcony is exposed to view from above and 4130 next door. Go to halfacts again and look at a picture I took from the window of Eurodam 4130.

Thanks for the clarification. It sound like it is a partially obstructed view.

Here is a picture. Don't know what ship this is, or even what cruise line. But your view could be as bad as this. Other rooms aren't as bad.

The Vista/Signature ships have cabins with a similar view, but they are clearly listed as "obstructed outside" cabins. There are no balcony cabins like that on any HAL ship (that I know of).

The Vista/Signature ships have cabins with a similar view, but they are clearly listed as "obstructed outside" cabins. There are no balcony cabins like that on any HAL ship (that I know of).

I think the new Kdam has some obstructed view balcony cabins. We wanted to peek into one last week while sailing but never got the chance while walking by.

I think the new Kdam has some obstructed view balcony cabins.
Yes. For the all of the VH next to the non-tender lifeboats (from 4041/4042 back to 4096/4107) the wooden railing is about level with the top of the lifeboat. For those along the tenders (4120/4135 to 4146/4147), the boat top is above the railing by about 1 foot. Edited by jtl513

Yes. For the all of the VH next to the non-tender lifeboats (from 4041/4042 back to 4096/4107) the wooden railing is about level with the top of the lifeboat. For those along the tenders (4120/4135 to 4146/4147), the boat top is above the railing by about 1 foot.

:eek: Wow! I hope those cabins are priced a lot closer to the outsides than to the higher category balcony cabins. They certainly aren't worth much more than an outside.

:eek: Wow! I hope those cabins are priced a lot closer to the outsides than to the higher category balcony cabins. They certainly aren't worth much more than an outside.
Yes, VH is the bottom veranda level. A lot of people who do generic "balcony guarantees" on the K-dam are going to get them!