Wines by the Glass - 11/2016 (Zuiderdam)

POA1

This definitely helps to start level the playing field between HAL and Celebrity! I much prefer the overall HAL product, but their beverage package options had made them largely uncompetitive (in my personal opinion) for the last few years.

We booked a Celebrity cruise for April and a Norwegian cruise for next October. As part of our cruise prep, I collected the drink price lists for each line. It was really surprising to see the difference in costs when you compare the same beverage on the 3 lines. Rather than look at the per drink dollar limit, it makes sense to look at the drinks themselves. We found some instances where the same beverage on one line cost 50%-75% more on another.

We booked a Celebrity cruise for April and a Norwegian cruise for next October. As part of our cruise prep, I collected the drink price lists for each line. It was really surprising to see the difference in costs when you compare the same beverage on the 3 lines. Rather than look at the per drink dollar limit, it makes sense to look at the drinks themselves. We found some instances where the same beverage on one line cost 50%-75% more on another.

I compare TOTAL cost of cruise including gratuities and beverage package (whether free or purchased) and subtract any onboard credits. I don't always go with lowest cost trip, but if pricing difference is huge it does sway things (hence two trips on NCL in last 2 years). Booking HAL with explore4 AND being able to upgrade to a better package helps tips scale in their favor for quality/value over sheer price.

I compare TOTAL cost of cruise including gratuities and beverage package (whether free or purchased) and subtract any onboard credits. I don't always go with lowest cost trip, but if pricing difference is huge it does sway things (hence two trips on NCL in last 2 years). Booking HAL with explore4 AND being able to upgrade to a better package helps tips scale in their favor for quality/value over sheer price.

That makes perfect sense. We tend to drink the same thing all the time, so it's pretty easy for us to compare. If we hadn't gotten Explore 4 on this cruise, we'd have gone a la carte on drinks and brought our own wine, paying corkage. I'm going to miss bringing our own wine. Choosing "vacation wine" is fun for me. (I'm short on hobbies.)

1. If there's an asterisk after the wine name, the wine is SBP eligible on the base, non-upgraded SBP.

I'm confused - can't see any asterisks, even though there's a few under $8?

EDIT - Nevermind, I found the second post!

Edited by qak

I'm confused - can't see any asterisks, even though there's a few under $8?

EDIT - Nevermind, I found the second post!

It's not you. It was me. :eek: Poor proofreading on my part.

POA1, Thanks for all of the information. I wonder if you could give us a few examples of the a la carte drinks and their prices on the cruise lines you investigated.

Don't go to a lot of trouble, you've done enough. If you don't have the time, I will look into myself.

But I am curious. These are the kind of comparisons that most people don't do, but could have a huge impact on the total cost of a cruise.

Thanks again.

POA1, Thanks for all of the information. I wonder if you could give us a few examples of the a la carte drinks and their prices on the cruise lines you investigated.

Don't go to a lot of trouble, you've done enough. If you don't have the time, I will look into myself.

But I am curious. These are the kind of comparisons that most people don't do, but could have a huge impact on the total cost of a cruise.

Thanks again.

Tom -

I'll dig through my collection of downloaded files and try to post some specific examples. Beer and straight hard liquors are pretty easy to compare apples to apples. It's the wines and the mixed drinks where it gets tricky. I think I can put together a matrix to compare the costs across the 3 lines, but it will take a little work.

One thing I can say with certainty is that you can't judge a drink package by its dollar limit.

Tom -

I'll dig through my collection of downloaded files and try to post some specific examples. Beer and straight hard liquors are pretty easy to compare apples to apples. It's the wines and the mixed drinks where it gets tricky. I think I can put together a matrix to compare the costs across the 3 lines, but it will take a little work.

One thing I can say with certainty is that you can't judge a drink package by its dollar limit.

I appreciate it. Just a few samples would work.

I searched for beverage menus here on CC, and found the other cruise line forums don't have the wonderful work of Crew News like we do here.

I did find a menu for Celebrity, from last March. Don't know if it is still valid, but they had a bottle of Heineken for about the same price as HAL, but the cheapest glass of wine I could find was $9, while HAL as several choices under $6.

Edited by Tom O.

I appreciate it. Just a few samples would work.

I searched for beverage menus here on CC, and found the other cruise line forums don't have the wonderful work of Crew News like we do here.

I did find a menu for Celebrity, from last March. Don't know if it is still valid, but they had a bottle of Heineken for about the same price as HAL, but the cheapest glass of wine I could find was $9, while HAL as several choices under $6.

Go to cruise with gambee website. He has posted drinks menus from many lines :D

I am wondering the same thing - the new "elite" package better suits my preferences and would be willing to pay the additional $11.50/day for better wines, access to a few ultra-premium cocktails and no beverage limits (I drink a lot of espresso based coffees and bottled water) :D

I appreciate seeing this wine list. While we have $xplore4, I believe we will bring a few extra bottles of better wine on board. The "elite" package would add to more than $80 for a seven day cruise which would pay for corkage on four bottles.

• 8 months later...

How many oz or ml per serving size? Or maybe how many servings per bottle? Since wine glasses (the glass part) varies depending on the type of wine, judging my glass size is irrelevant.

In England, I loved that many pubs specify on a chalkboard: Small Glass - 150ml Large Glass - 175ml (and sometimes supersized 225ml large glasses).

A cruising friend did say hard liquor drinks were generous pours. Of course, she had gold stars or whatever all over her room card having been on a lot of cruises. Maybe she gets more bang for buck being an Admiral.

How many oz or ml per serving size? Or maybe how many servings per bottle? Since wine glasses (the glass part) varies depending on the type of wine, judging my glass size is irrelevant.

In England, I loved that many pubs specify on a chalkboard: Small Glass - 150ml Large Glass - 175ml (and sometimes supersized 225ml large glasses).

A cruising friend did say hard liquor drinks were generous pours. Of course, she had gold stars or whatever all over her room card having been on a lot of cruises. Maybe she gets more bang for buck being an Admiral.

5 oz or 150 ml. They calculate things based on 5 glasses per 750 ml bottle. A good rule of thumb is that once you get to 4 glasses, just buy the bottle.

Also, while it's not necessarily on the wine menu, there is a bottle price for all the wines by the glass.

5 oz or 150 ml. They calculate things based on 5 glasses per 750 ml bottle. A good rule of thumb is that once you get to 4 glasses, just buy the bottle.

Also, while it's not necessarily on the wine menu, there is a bottle price for all the wines by the glass.

Thanks. I did see a bottle price list. One type we liked cost $36.25/bottle and $6.50/glass. That makes the bottle price more expensive than the by-the-glass price. I just checked the Indulgences menu from the HAL site, so the bottle price is correct. Found the Crow's Nest drink menu and it confirms my $6.50/glass number.

If my numbers are true (and they appear to be), then buying the bottle isn't necessarily the best deal. Besides, my husband and I don't necessarily want to drink the same wine.;p

The main advantage in buying by the bottle, is that you have far more choices of wines. Also, if high quality is important, then the bottle is the way to go.

I have never done this, but last time I checked, if you don't drink the entire bottle in one sitting they will store it for you for your next meal. So, you and your husband could each have their own bottle served over several meals.

Personally, I am OK with cheaper varieties of wines, and my wife doesn't drink at all, so the wine by the glass works for me.

Thanks. I did see a bottle price list. One type we liked cost $36.25/bottle and $6.50/glass. That makes the bottle price more expensive than the by-the-glass price. I just checked the Indulgences menu from the HAL site, so the bottle price is correct. Found the Crow's Nest drink menu and it confirms my $6.50/glass number.

If my numbers are true (and they appear to be), then buying the bottle isn't necessarily the best deal. Besides, my husband and I don't necessarily want to drink the same wine.;p

Glad you double checked me. Thanks. I apologize for the bad information.

Glad you double checked me. Thanks. I apologize for the bad information.

No problem. Got me to looking at the wine packages. I really don't want somebody picking my wines, but the 7 bottles for $199 should cover us our entire trip. I appreciate the information.

The main advantage in buying by the bottle, is that you have far more choices of wines. Also, if high quality is important, then the bottle is the way to go.

I have never done this, but last time I checked, if you don't drink the entire bottle in one sitting they will store it for you for your next meal. So, you and your husband could each have their own bottle served over several meals.

Personally, I am OK with cheaper varieties of wines, and my wife doesn't drink at all, so the wine by the glass works for me.

I'm more of a wine in a box person, so fancy prices don't equate a tasty drink. Heck, I stretch a glass with club soda.

The answers sent me to look at the wine packages. I understand there's a wine desk on board. 7 bottles will last us a few days, but we want to pick which ones. The description sounds like we can do just that.

Much appreciate all the info here and on these boards in total. Next time, maybe we can be the experts :o