Review of Silhouette Nov 2016 Transatlantic

tweetylori

So, which morning event did I decide on, while Husband went to Journal Making? Well, I figured they would probably do the Future Cruises one again, and I already watch a lot of Food Network and the Cooking Channel. So I couldn't resist Melinda Bates again, this time with Entertaining at the White House:

IMG_20161115_131722.jpg

This was the popular place to be as she really packs 'em in, and for good reason. She's fascinating! After her presentations she would sell & sign her book. I had finished her book that I brought with me on the cruise, and she graciously signed it:

IMG_20161115_144913.jpg

So what would lunch be on this lovely day at sea? Love that they always had the menus posted outside the MDR, so we could make our choice. Today's menu didn't entice us too much:

IMG_20161115_124024.jpg

Seemed like a perfectly good day to try out Sushi on Five. I was still hankering for some good Asian food!

We headed that way and must have slithered past this:

IMG_20161115_123856.jpg

Sushi on Five is a specialty restaurant. This is the only one that I'm aware of that you pay a la carte. That suited us just fine! We got a nice four-top by the window and had a delightful Gal Server.

IMG_20161114_191443_1.jpg

What to drink?

IMG_20161115_145913.jpg

IMG_20161115_150038.jpg

IMG_20161115_145904.jpg

Ding Ding we have a WINNER...the refreshing, Agave Sunrise with a nice little kick to it!

IMG_20161115_151314.jpg

It was hard to decide what to eat because everything sounded so good!

IMG_20161115_150209.jpg

IMG_20161115_150235.jpg

We finally decided to share three things and it turned out to be the PERFECT plan! We started with the Chicken Ginger Gyoza:

IMG_20161115_152328.jpg

Yes, they were as good as they look! And so were these Lobster and Shrimp Wontons:

IMG_20161115_152819.jpg

And oh my was the Shrimp Tempura roll fantastic as well!

IMG_20161115_154033.jpg

Both of us LOVED this meal!

I do believe I thought about going to the Fitness Center. I did think about it often. Does that count? ;)

But you know, I can go to the gym at home. I can't do this there:

IMG_20161115_164211.jpg

I had a journal to write in and books to read. But I mostly just sat and thanked God I was right here right now.

From one extreme to another, I let myself get lured up to Sky 14. We were ready to kick the Broadway challenge!

IMG_20161115_110840.jpg

Luckily for us, our Trivia Friend Ben was waiting for us with some chairs in the main area. Not an easy feat in this lounge. Chairs and tables were not exactly plentiful, and the bar stools are super high and wobbly. We were becoming more and more fond of our considerate friend Ben. :p

Wow, this was one hard Trivia Challenge! Rosco, the Piano Player in the House Band warned us that he had spent years perfecting this Trivia, and that it was going to be Movies as well as Broadway :eek: Doggonit, I didn't want pesky movies again! We tried hard and did pretty well, but others did better. I swear there were some professional trivia folks on this ship! ;) We had fun though, and this was also the first time they had someone to serve drinks here. Someone who really didn't seem happy to do so. I asked for a glass of chardonnay and I don't know what the heck he brought me, but it was as far from chardonnay as white wine can be. :confused: Problems Problems on the high seas :rolleyes:

So we didn't win Trivia, but by golly we were going to go win Bingo! Yes, I managed to talk Husband into going to Bingo with me, after all we could win $15,000 in 47 numbers or less, and we could get raffle tickets toward winning a $1,000 cruise credit. Sounded good to me! :D

We had three options: Buy a three-game board for $39, a six-game one for $49, or the "best deal" for $69 that included some paper ones that you could use on the third game, plus you got some of those tab pull-outs that you have to match three things to win. We have tried those in the past and never gotten anywhere with them, so we opted for the not-best-deal three game-board for $39 to share.

IMG_20161115_185120.jpg

Looked like a winner to me! :p So we played the three games.

IMG_20161115_191251.jpg

And well, it wasn't a winner after all. :(

Not this time anyway. ;)

Phew, all this exertion made us hungry again! :o Off to the Main Dining Room, which I should probably call by its real name of Grand Cuvee Restaurant. We would always enter on Deck 4 for Select Dining, and we were always greeted nicely and asked if we wanted our same table again. Well, we were awfully fond of that table by now, and super fond of Head Waiter Iskandar, Sommelier Joel and Bar Server Mehmet.

Like every night, Mehmet arrived unasked with Husband's Manhattan and Perrier. Joel always made sure I was happy with my white or red choice for the night, and Iskandar made sure we were happy with our food and kept us smiling at the same time.

Tonight's menu:

IMG_20161115_205749.jpg

IMG_20161115_205803.jpg

By now we were asking each other, "Are you doing one or two appetizers?" This night we were each tempted by two.

Husband started with the Eggplant Caviar (I know, I was a bit surprised myself)

IMG_20161115_210720.jpg

I had the super delightful Spinach Turnover...really good!

IMG_20161115_210731.jpg

It certainly didn't surprise me though when he got the Prosciutto di Parma with Melon:

IMG_20161115_211421.jpg

And a nice salad sounded good to me. Love their lemon dressing! It was very nice indeed:

IMG_20161115_211447.jpg

Anyone want to guess what Husband's entree was? You got it! The Steak Dianne,which he was quite happy with:

IMG_20161115_212310.jpg

And despite the mushrooms in the description I went with the Veal Cordon Bleu. I was warned that it could be dry, but mine was nice and hot and moist. Very good, although I didn't feel like the sauce went with it. And I'm not just saying that because there were mushrooms. To me a Cordon Bleu goes with a wine cream sauce, which matches better with ham and cheese, but that's just my humble opinion. The sauce was good. The Veal was good, I just didn't think they went together. So I ate them separately (aren't I clever? ;)

IMG_20161115_212326.jpg

Iskandar cracked us up on this night when he did this creation on our neighbor's table:

IMG_20161115_213318.jpg

Shockingly, we were too full for dessert! :eek:

We took our full bellies to the Silhouette Theatre for Celebrity Showtime! Tonight's headliner:

IMG_20161115_183833.jpg

As always, our trusty Cruise Director John would come out to introduce the show, and anyone who has traveled with him knows what he was going to say! How we had had a full day running here and there and we might be tired and tempted to "go straight to bed". Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, if that's what you are thinking "this is not the night to do it!" :p

IMG_20161115_220202.jpg

He was so right on this night, because this Comedian was TERRIFIC. He had us rolling. I was laughing so hard it hurt. If you ever have the chance to see Jeff Nease, GO!

IMG_20161115_220411.jpg

So while we hadn't had dessert at dinner, there is photo evidence of a buffet stop at some point. I hang my head in shame, but it could have been a lot worse! :o

IMG_20161115_232623.jpg

And this little eclair was really little...the pic just makes it look bigger ;)

IMG_20161115_233545.jpg

Lori, your review is fantastic. I have about writing reviews but when I get home there is so much catch up work I don't have extra time to write. Maybe in three more years after retirement [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Mort...you should give it a whirl in your "spare" time. I am having the same problem myself. Pesky work keeps getting in my way. :rolleyes:

Did you confirm your next cruise while onboard? Love your review. We will be on her in Feb 2017 doing Western Caribbean. I have 15 cabins of excited cruisers!!! Some are newbies. Some sailed with me on the Reflection last Feb. Hoping to look into some different itineraries while I am onboard. Getting a little tired of the basic Caribbean.

Oh by the way, we also played Bingo on the first day and the last day it was offered. We won the free cruise. It was 4 or 5 nite cruise free or $1000.00 towards one you already had confirmed. We chose the latter and are using it on the Silhouette!!!:D