Review of Silhouette Nov 2016 Transatlantic

tweetylori

Husband loved his steak, although the gorgonzola sauce didn't do much for him. We both very much liked the broccolini and the potatoes. Since Branzino is always the expensive fish on a menu, I guess I expected more. It tasted like, well, fish. ;) And since we hadn't been at a port for a couple days and there were no fishing lines hanging over the side of the ship one could only assume that the fish can only be so fresh. :cool: It was certainly perfectly cooked but again was missing any kind of wow factor.

I hate wasting food, so with apologies to my Italian Grandma in heaven, I had to throw in the towel. I do believe Husband made up for my slackness though by polishing off his entire steak. :eek:

And somehow, somehow, Joe managed to talk us into sharing a Creme Brulee:

IMG_20161114_225932.jpg

Now THIS had a wow factor! Rates right up there with the best creme brulee's I have ever had. It was pistachio and something else (I think...chocolate?) Can't remember what it was a combo with (somehow I completely missed taking pics of the menu here, probably because I was Supermoon-picture-taking-focused), but I do remember it was really really good!

And about the time I was wondering if I wanted to order a limoncello, but deciding I was too full for even that, well, one of those appeared anyway:

IMG_20161114_230025.jpg

All in all, Tuscan Grille was good, and we certainly got our money's worth out of our $25 deal here, but like Qsine I would hesitate to pay full price. I might eat often, but I don't eat a lot at one time, so to do justice to a specialty restaurant is not easy for me :rolleyes:

Tonight's main entertainment was Saxophonist Oli Nez. Now Oli might have indeed played for Royalty, but there wasn't a musician on the planet that we could have stayed awake for after that meal. ;) We were even too full to keep drinking :eek:

LeAnn, you're amazingly talented. We're enjoying reliving the cruise all over again.

We got really sick and couldn't do the amazing things that you did but we love seeing the pictures and reading your fun narrative.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LeAnn, you're amazingly talented. We're enjoying reliving the cruise all over again.

We got really sick and couldn't do the amazing things that you did but we love seeing the pictures and reading your fun narrative.

Thank you luvpoodle. Really appreciate your kind words!! I'm so SORRY you got really sick! Were you sick for the whole cruise? :mad:

By the way, I'm Lori not LeAnn. ;)

Tuscan Grille was waiting for us! We were led to a table for two by the window! Perfect for Supermoon gazing!

IMG_20161114_212443.jpg

Nice oil and fresh herbs always make me happy!

IMG_20161114_214454.jpg

Especially with fantastic breads:

IMG_20161114_214500.jpg

We started by sharing two appetizers: The Bruschetta (which is pronounced with a K sound in the middle not SH (as we had learned on our walking food tour in Rome.) Husband actually ate most of this and loved it:

IMG_20161114_214957.jpg

Our Server Joe (who was excellent, by the way), had suggested the Calamari:

IMG_20161114_215016.jpg

The Calamari was good, but as most fried foods are, quite heavy and rich, especially with the thick aioli. Some pieces of the squid were also a bit thicker than I care for. I felt the need to pace myself however, as we had more coming!

In between courses I was trying to get a decent shot of our Supermoon. I never quite achieved that through the glass. This was the best I came up with, complete with my reflection darn it!

IMG_20161114_214543.jpg

We were there the same night celebrating my husbands birthday with a table by the window. Also couldn't get the perfect shot of the supermoon because of the glass. We had the same appetizers but opted for the filet mignon (perfection) and the chicken Parmasean (also very good). Our sides were the broccolicini with the polenta fries and dessert was the key lime creme brulee and of course he brought a birthday cake that we were too full to eat so he sent it to our cabin.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

We were there the same night celebrating my husbands birthday with a table by the window. Also couldn't get the perfect shot of the supermoon because of the glass. We had the same appetizers but opted for the filet mignon (perfection) and the chicken Parmasean (also very good). Our sides were the broccolicini with the polenta fries and dessert was the key lime creme brulee and of course he brought a birthday cake that we were too full to eat so he sent it to our cabin.

Correction, it was pistachio creme brulee rather than key lime. So delish that we requested it in the MDR but to no avail.

Husband loved his steak, although the gorgonzola sauce didn't do much for him. We both very much liked the broccolini and the potatoes. Since Branzino is always the expensive fish on a menu, I guess I expected more. It tasted like, well, fish. ;) And since we hadn't been at a port for a couple days and there were no fishing lines hanging over the side of the ship one could only assume that the fish can only be so fresh. :cool: It was certainly perfectly cooked but again was missing any kind of wow factor.

I hate wasting food, so with apologies to my Italian Grandma in heaven, I had to throw in the towel. I do believe Husband made up for my slackness though by polishing off his entire steak. :eek:

And somehow, somehow, Joe managed to talk us into sharing a Creme Brulee:

IMG_20161114_225932.jpg

Now THIS had a wow factor! Rates right up there with the best creme brulee's I have ever had. It was pistachio and something else (I think...chocolate?) Can't remember what it was a combo with (somehow I completely missed taking pics of the menu here, probably because I was Supermoon-picture-taking-focused), but I do remember it was really really good!

And about the time I was wondering if I wanted to order a limoncello, but deciding I was too full for even that, well, one of those appeared anyway:

IMG_20161114_230025.jpg

Wow Lori! I am very grateful for your review of our T/A on the Silhouette last month. You brought back many fond memories of the cruise and I am really impressed with your photos. I had to laugh when you mentioned the mattress in your cabin. My DW had the same opinion of it as you.:) Enjoyed your photos and especially the ones of Lucca. Too bad we had to endure the rain there. Also, I was happy to see that you had some of the same items for dinner

that I had. I guess those of us with good taste think alike. :D Finally, what type of camera, model and make did you use for those wonderful photos? Thank you so very much.

Sorry Lori. Yes, sick from France onward. Two visits to the ships doctor. Z- Pack didn't touch it, still coughing.

Love your Posts! Such fun.

Sheila

Oh wow you caught it really early in the cruise. That really sucks! And to have it linger that long...yikes! I finally caught something this week. As soon as my throat got sore I started on Zicam. I think I might've gotten lucky catching it in time, as I'm doing better already. In the future I will bring Zicam with me when I travel! Hope you feel better soon!!

How cool that we were there at the same time! What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday! Husband did have the filet and loved it. I wish I had ordered chicken, as it was seafood overkill for me! I can certainly understand why you were too full for a birthday cake!

Wow Lori! I am very grateful for your review of our T/A on the Silhouette last month. You brought back many fond memories of the cruise and I am really impressed with your photos. I had to laugh when you mentioned the mattress in your cabin. My DW had the same opinion of it as you.:) Enjoyed your photos and especially the ones of Lucca. Too bad we had to endure the rain there. Also, I was happy to see that you had some of the same items for dinner

that I had. I guess those of us with good taste think alike. :D Finally, what type of camera, model and make did you use for those wonderful photos? Thank you so very much.

Thank you for your comments! Did the mattress not bother you too? My Husband thought it was hard also. So cool that you went to Lucca also! Did you go anywhere else on that excursion?

Glad to hear someone else has good taste in food.;) As for the camera, it is my phone. I have a Nexus LG. On the ship I just kept it in airline mode.

Another one saying thank you for an excellent review.

Silly is our favourite Celebrity ship and we have always been in a SV on deck 8. Fabulous place to be. You should have asked to have your mattress changed - it is done all the time.

Such happy memories returned with your photo's.

Next time try the burger in MDR at lunchtime. Honestly the best I have eaten.

Thanks again.

Many, many thanks for your wonderful review and photos. We (reluctantly!) disembarked in Civitavecchia on the day you boarded.

This was our first Celebrity cruise (and, hopefully, the first of many!)

Your posts serve to remind us of how much we missed out on when onboard and so, I think, we will have to take a few more cruises in order to experience everything!

It did seem to take us a long time to "find our feet" and, for example, we only realised a few days before the end if the cruise that we could enjoy premium wines in Cellar Masters ( we had a premium drinks package).

We will be better informed next time.

Thank you for your comments! Did the mattress not bother you too? My Husband thought it was hard also. So cool that you went to Lucca also! Did you go anywhere else on that excursion?

Glad to hear someone else has good taste in food.;) As for the camera, it is my phone. I have a Nexus LG. On the ship I just kept it in airline mode.

We also went to Florence and it rained there as well. Despite the rain we still enjoyed our tour of Lucca and Florence and hope to return some day. We also used your strategy in regards to getting a table in the Oceanview Café. :) That

place was a madhouse sometimes. Once again, enjoyed your review and sorry

we didn't get a chance to meet.

Another one saying thank you for an excellent review.

Silly is our favourite Celebrity ship and we have always been in a SV on deck 8. Fabulous place to be. You should have asked to have your mattress changed - it is done all the time.

Such happy memories returned with your photo's.

Next time try the burger in MDR at lunchtime. Honestly the best I have eaten.

Thanks again.

Have you stayed in 8346 then too? We loved it back there! I didn't know we could ask to have the mattress changed...I will have to remember that. And I wish I had tried the burger in MDR instead of the pad thai! :D

Many, many thanks for your wonderful review and photos. We (reluctantly!) disembarked in Civitavecchia on the day you boarded.

This was our first Celebrity cruise (and, hopefully, the first of many!)

Your posts serve to remind us of how much we missed out on when onboard and so, I think, we will have to take a few more cruises in order to experience everything!

It did seem to take us a long time to "find our feet" and, for example, we only realised a few days before the end if the cruise that we could enjoy premium wines in Cellar Masters ( we had a premium drinks package).

We will be better informed next time.

Add me to the list of being better informed next time too. All the wine-drinking I did with the Premium Package and never tested it in Cellar Masters. Hate that I missed that...wah!

We also went to Florence and it rained there as well. Despite the rain we still enjoyed our tour of Lucca and Florence and hope to return some day. We also used your strategy in regards to getting a table in the Oceanview Café. :) That

place was a madhouse sometimes. Once again, enjoyed your review and sorry

we didn't get a chance to meet.

Would have liked to go to Florence too...awesome that you made it there, even in the rain!

How exciting that we had Big Sausage and Clean Up to look forward to! :D

Honestly I love Top Chef and had already seen all of them, but still enjoyed watching them again. Now that we are home, the new season has just started with the first episode in Charleston and it is off to a great start. Very entertaining!

Speaking of Clean Up though, we tried to keep things relatively under control. But we still had to live in it. :o

IMG_20161115_111012.jpg

Not too bad, huh? :rolleyes:

One of these mornings, might have been this one, I'm not sure, but we got totally caught up watching the movie "Remember". Wow. Christopher Plummer was amazing, and what a moving movie! A memorable movie, for sure, even if I don't remember what day I saw it. :p

I could already tell I was going to have a morning dilemma of which of three things I was going to go to!

IMG_20161115_110029.jpg

I was interested in Melinda Bates, the Future Cruises presentations and the Q&A with the Executive Chef and his Team. How in the world to decide? :eek:

Well, maybe brain food would help. Off to the Oceanview for a visit with Arnold and his fellow Egg-masters. I figured it was about time to try one of their omelets, and yes indeed they do terrific omelets as well! You tell Arnold which of the many items you want, he puts them in a little cup, hands them to the Pro behind him who starts your masterpiece. When it's almost done, the Pro hands it to Arnold who finishes it and doles it out, while remembering everyone by name. Truly remarkable! This was a "small portion" one:

IMG_20161115_112241.jpg

YUM! By now I wanted to take Arnold home with me. :p

By the way, the reason I took pics of the Silhouette Today was so I didn't have to carry the paper around with me. I was already carrying my phone around for the clock and camera aspects of it, so taking pics of the daily events meant I had them handy whenever my memory failed me (which is way too often these days!:o)

More cool art:

IMG_20161115_122446.jpg

Quite the variety!

IMG_20161115_122454.jpg

Husband found a quarter slot machine that he liked:

IMG_20161115_123543.jpg

Which he became even more fond of:

IMG_20161115_124951.jpg