New Zealand Tours!

amyj702

What are the "better" New Zealand Tours to go on? I have never been there before so would love some advice.. should I only book through the cruise line?

We will be traveling Jan 15 on Legends of the Seas RCCL

"First cruse" so have so many questions!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you arrange your own tours it will be much cheaper than a ships tour. An example of this is earlier this year hubby and I were on the Solstice and a Ships Tour to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds in the Bay of Islands was 58USD per person. It took us less than 5 minutes to walk there (and I use a walking stick) and it cost us 36NZD for both of us to go in i.e. 18NZD each.

For your trip I see you are stopping at Tauranga. I cannot praise Cruise Tauranga tours and Scott tours enough. We have used both and they are fantastic.

In Wellington the first time our boys wanted to do LOTR things so they went on a Ships Tour but the second time we got on the shuttle to town and then visited the Botanic Gardens via the Cable Car - again much cheaper than via the ship. In April we will do the shuttle again and go to the Museum.

Akaroa, we used the ships tour to Christchurch because I wanted to feel comfortable because of earthquakes and the ship waiting for us. I'm not sure what we will do this time.

In Dunedin we used this company Headfirst Travel. They have a Hop On, Hop Off Bus and several tours that you can go on. Again they were quite good when we were there but the communication between booking and arriving was non-existent. We did Lanarch Castle, which had a tour guide (who was excellent) for 10 of us and then in the afternoon visited Cadbury Chocolate Factory.

Auckland you park in the main street so you can just walk where you wish, - the tower isn't too far, or you could catch a ferry somewhere as well if you feel like it.

Hope any of this info helps.

We are cruising NZ 9th Jan on Ovation- never been to NZ before... I've booked following - Auckland- doing our own thing- will walk to Skytower & have booked a Devonshire tea in the revolving restaurant, plus check out Victoria Park market. In Tauranga have booked day tour to Rotorua through Jim Archer tours - check out his website & video - payment made on day of tour. Wellington booked half day tour through Shore trips & tours- $55 each includes cable car ride, sight seeing & visit Mt Victoria. Dunedin have booked taieri gorge railway direct through company for $130 each. Research is the key & I've done plenty!!! Good luck & I'm sure you will enjoy your first cruise [emoji2]

If you have interest in Hobbit/LOTR, then I thoroughly recommend Zealandia tour from Tauranga to Hobbiton. You can also do a combined Hobbiton & Rotorua tour.

For a slightly different perspective try the Aquaduck in Auckland. We combined it with Auckland Harbour Sightseeing Cruise. Both left from just in front of the ship.

We do a combination of ship & private tours, depending on if it is tender or docked, distance to travel on tour & if the ship is offering a 'must-do' for that port.

We have booked ship's tours for our upcoming New Zealand cruise. We have been reading many reports of the ship's captain doing the cruise in reverse order due to weather considerations. Doing ship's tours negates the need to contact all privately arranged tours to either cancel or re-book. This is our personal choice even though we know we spend more money on ship's tours than if we booked privately. On past cruises to other locations we have done a combination of none, private and ship tours.

We are cruising NZ 9th Jan on Ovation- never been to NZ before... I've booked following - Auckland- doing our own thing- will walk to Skytower & have booked a Devonshire tea in the revolving restaurant, plus check out Victoria Park market. In Tauranga have booked day tour to Rotorua through Jim Archer tours - check out his website & video - payment made on day of tour. Wellington booked half day tour through Shore trips & tours- $55 each includes cable car ride, sight seeing & visit Mt Victoria. Dunedin have booked taieri gorge railway direct through company for $130 each. Research is the key & I've done plenty!!! Good luck & I'm sure you will enjoy your first cruise [emoji2]

Just a suggestion, skip Victoria Park Market (nothing to see, honestly) and either take the ferry across to Devonport or Waiheke or head to Auckland Museum and Domain. Great views and things to see and do.

What are the "better" New Zealand Tours to go on? I have never been there before so would love some advice.. should I only book through the cruise line?

There's a lot of tours in Tauranga either with the ships tours or a private company. Rotorua is approx 60 minutes drive from Tauranga and is very popular as its unique to NZ, I don't think you will see this kind of thermal activity anywhere else in the world. If you feel like stretching your legs, The "Mount" is only a short and lovely walk along the beach from where the ship berthes. You can't miss it, it's an awesome sight. For lovely picturesque views, walk around the base track, only takes about 45 minutes or if your energetic, walk to the top where you will get 360d views of Mount Maunganui surf beach and Pilot Bay, the harbour on the other side. I'll try and post some photos taken from the top. It's a popular walk, both around and up.

image.jpg.f4b47532777f861a3d1b9484464318fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

Hopefully another photo

image.jpg.30e5f61ccbae1ba591e5ab62d9140c13.jpg

Edited by Fortunatefew

Akaroa, we used the ships tour to Christchurch because I wanted to feel comfortable because of earthquakes and the ship waiting for us. I'm not sure what we will do this time.

I'd recommend going to the Giant's House in Akaroa. It has the most amazing garden with mosaic sculptures. http://www.thegiantshouse.co.nz/

It's about 1.4kms from the tender wharf, and the road up to it has a gentle incline, and there is a steep climb up the driveway to the entrance. We walked there in 30C temps, it was very easy even with my wonky knee.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ