Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

KRF326RN

Today, I booked our first cruise, so very excited. I’ve spent hours and hours pouring over these forums and can’t wait…just 404 days!

We are a family of four…hubby work in public service and gives all day long to everyone. He works hard and has serious decisions to deal with on a daily basis. When he’s home, he’s the best dad. He loves his kids and to be outdoors. He’s a fly fisherman and would love to retire to Colorado and fish all day, every day. I’m a RN and work administratively overseeing our population health product lines. No more “heads in beds”, it’s all about the quality of care. I love what I do, seriously love what I do-but a break from the politics is much needed (thus this vacation!). We have two kiddos, 15 year old son who wrestles for his state winning high school team and is currently a purple belt MMA fighter. He loves sports and video games. Typical teen boy. Last, but certainly not least is our 7 year old daughter…our total surprise in many ways. She’s an opinionated fireball and we love it. She’s never still, currently in gymnastics and swimming. I think we’re moving from swimming to dance…NEVER sits still!

I plan to use this thread for all things planning our upcoming trip. I find it helps pass the time and is half the fun of the trip.

Next post...fly or drive? :eek:

So planning is my jam….in that, I’ve planned vacations (down to what we’ll eat) that we’ve never taken. I really love to plan. Friends have let me plan their vacations for them. So fun!

To prepare (and pass the time) for this trip, I’ve planned to do a pre trip review. It will help me stay organized and I’d love to share (and learn from you) all the ins and outs, do and donts, what to pack vs what to leave at home…well, you get the drill.

First planning post….fly or drive? We only looked to sail out of New Orleans. We have never been (even though we have family about two hours from NOLA….) and hear it’s a must do. DS loves to explore new places. At first, we were all about driving. It’s 10 hours. Not great, but doable. I started planning it out…what stops, leave a day early possibly, etc. Then I started thinking about the drive home. That already depresses me. The drive down, you’re super excited. The drive back, AWFUL. I refuse to fly anything but Southwest because I am NOT paying for my bags to fly. Tulsa is a little over an hour away…I did the math….gas/hotel/food/etc vs flying (still adding in food) and parking at the airport vs parking at the port…it would cost about $600 more…that’s probably worth it, right? But we’re planning to spend 2-3 days in NOLA after the cruise…we’ll need a car, right? Well, maybe not…I hear it’s easy to get around on foot and public transportation…thoughts? :confused:

Edited by KRF326RN

If it were me I would drive but our family loves road trips, did a 60+ hr (round trip driving) one last yr. Driving gives you flexibility also and you would have your own vehicle to get around. Our drive home is always pleasant and as excited as I am to go on vacation I'm also happy to be going home after, no place like home! NOLA is on our road trip list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good luck you and happy planning. I am a planner as well. I would want to fly and stay in New Orleans close to the action to avoid driving. I live in Houston but still refuse to drive in NO. I love it there though so I would enjoy staying two or three days outside of your cruise. Maybe stay 1 day before and 2 days after so you can adjust much better. I think it's great to use cc to plan your trip, makes the time go by faster. Keep us posted !

Excited for you! I'm a planner too. Our next cruise is set for the Dream in October. This will be my 4th cruise from NOLA. We prefer to drive. (We also like to drive to Disneyworld, which is about 13 hours for us). I think you could get by fine with flying too, especially if you stay in the Quarter or near the cruise terminal. Its easy to get around the Quarter. Like other posters, for me, the drive is half the fun. I wonder if you could make a stop along the way home?

Its a 7 hour drive for us to NOLA. We prefer to park right at the cruise terminal, for ease of arrival and departure-with our luggage. One time, we stayed at the Marriott across the street from the cruise terminal. I thought we could just walk with our luggage to the port, and that was a mistake. It was way further and we had to get a car to take us around the block with all our stuff.

Just did pre cruise in nola, there is no easy way to park and it's expensive. We stayed 2 nights at the astor crown plaza it's on the corner of canal and bourbon street. Perfect location, if you exit the lobby on canal you have trolley stop right there, also CVS and walgreens if you exit on bourbon it's the beginning of the walking down bourbon. There is fast food, and any kinda food you would want within walking distance. Pay the 40 dollar valet we didn't eed car for anything. If you want to take a swamp tour, city tour, or anything like that they pick you up at the hotel. Walk down bourbon to st Ann and turn right then weave your way back to canal and turn right then you have made a big square and back at hotel. We ate breakfast every morning at krystal which is right outside the bourbon st exit of the hotel. Groupon has this hotel quite often on discount. Hope this helps some. Enjoy the trip and cruise..

We're driving from Atlanta and whether cruising or just visiting New Orleans, we stay the first night in Slidell. The rooms are cheaper than in the city and one is just resting a head, right?

After the cruise we're staying in NO because our DD hasn't visited NO. It's a must see. The culture, food, music, everything...is so different and worth the stay.

Happy cruising! I'm a planner too!

We rented a car one way to New Orleans, you don't have to pay for parking this way...:) When we got back, we rented one way back home. The car rental place (begins with a A) is right in the heart place of New Orleans. They picked us up at the terminal and we were on our way back home.

Just a thought...:)

Congrats on booking your first cruise!! WE booked our first cruise in February even though we are't going to February of 2018. We are under 670 days now i believe... lol. I would drive to save the money. We are a family of 6 and are going to drive from Ontario Canada to Galveston for our cruise, about 25 hours....

Surprised how many of you voted for driving! I think I romanticize the drive. I’ve seen too many movies that make it all seem glamorous and fun. But the reality of a car breaking down, getting lost, parking, etc…that does stress me out. I LOVE to fly. Always have. The excitement of the airport, the people watching, the way the plane feels, guessing what everyone’s plans are. I really do love it. Still not sure which way we’ll go. Waiting for those prices to come out and some decisions on excursions to make that decision.

Next decision…Cheers or pay as you go?

Flying in. New Orleans has recently expanded the streetcar system compared to years ago making getting around without a car or hiring a taxi is a bit easier. You can also purchase multi-day streetcar passes allowing you to board and ride as often as you need. Go to norta.com. to view maps and pricing.

Hotels. It seems that most hotels near the port will shuttle you for embarkation/debarkation from and to the hotel. There are numerous hotels nearby, some offer a cooked breakfast (Embassy Suites, etc).

My favorite, reasonably priced places to eat. Deannie's, Jaques-Imo's Cafe, The Ruby Slipper, Palace Cafe ($$$). Don't forget beignets at Cafe du Monde.

Enjoy your cruise and NOLA too.